College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

On 6/12/2020 at 10:41 PM, Matthew24 said:

As a SFA Lumberjack Basketball fan. I'm glad they did this. I did look at the last time they tried updating the logo and I still feel it look generic and half***.

Here some creativity was shown atleast. I like the secondary logo though but it looks they they really wanted to hammer the lone star imagery. 

As someone who grew up in East Texas, im still puzzled why they're not called the LumberJills. I think it sounds better anyways.

Right? It just seems to make sense from an English perspective like a "John Doe" "Jane Doe" thing

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 12:49 PM, Skycast said:

To me I never understood feminizing a school mascot name or adding "Lady" in front of it...Lady Buffaloes or Lady Gators or whatever. Most names are not masculine in and of themselves, Lumberjacks included...yes, while most lumberjacks are likely male, I'm sure they have been and still are female lumberjacks. After all, we don't say Man Buffaloes or Man Gators when referring to the male teams.

i never understood that too (maybe there was a time and place, but i never understood that).  

• Like 1

so long and thanks for all the fish.

1 hour ago, rjrrzube said:

Apparently the curving cavalier blades had a link to the slave trade: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29314996/virginia-changes-logo-remove-slavery-history

Actually, the detailing on the grips of the swords were meant to symbolize an aerial view of the University of Virginia's serpentine walls... 

Tujw6X1l.jpg WnXmUsom.jpg

As these walls are said to have originally been built at the school to hide enslaved laborers from the University of Virginia community, the undulating detailing on the grips has been removed and the sword handle-grips are now smooth...

9HraFzDm.png?1

• Like 7

One day they’ll tear down the actual walls. 

But hey, good riddance, curved-handles- in-swords-of-the-logo!

Honestly, UVA should just use a split- V logo with an updated Virginia wordmark. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Objectively better design. It's also such a nitpicky thing. I'm not saying that the original walls weren't built for racial reasons, but this feels like a thousand times more trivial than fighting about more overt things like "Washington Redskins."

• Like 11

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Virginia Cavaliers Modify New Logos To Remove Slavery Ties

June 16, 2020 - 17:27 PM

The University of Virginia has removed one small detail from the athletic department’s new primary and secondary logos that inadvertently referenced the school’s history with slavery. The logos, which were originally unveiled on April 24, previously featured curves on the […]

Read More...

2 hours ago, pianoknight said:

Objectively better design. It's also such a nitpicky thing. I'm not saying that the original walls weren't built for racial reasons, but this feels like a thousand times more trivial than fighting about more overt things like "Washington Redskins."

Baby steps...

• Like 2

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

The Saskatchewan Huskies tweaked their logo. The head is a minor change but the S logo is a major upgrade.

They also created a new script logo and retired three logos, which were men's hockey specific logos.

Here's the brand guide if anyone is interested, you can see the new script and the newly retired logos. It's a cool read.

• Like 3

IbjBaeE.png

This is a huge improvement for Charlotte. Its simple but unique. My biggest gripe is the CLT mark being so prominent. I haven't spent much time in Charlotte so perhaps they refer to the city as CLT, but I never have been a fan of airport codes/abbreviations being part of team logo packages

• Like 1