College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

Wayne State Wildcats Unveil Alternate Logos, New Wordmark

May 2, 2020 - 00:20 AM

An eight-month rebranding processes reached its conclusion earlier this week when Wayne State College unveiled a new visual identity that includes two alternate logos and a new wordmark. “Our brand is what sets Wayne State College apart from other colleges […]

Read More...

A few points about Virginia's new logo/unis/etc.

1) I like the updated "V"/sabre shaped logo.  I don't understand the controversy of the logo, but not much different than the old one just modernized look.

2) The cavalier secondary logo is good not great or spectacular.  I think they worked way too hard to make it look fantastic but in hindsight it may have overdid too much to have that "Wow" factor.

3) The uniforms, OTOH, don't amaze me.  The numeric fonts I dislike and the "Virginia" and "Cavaliers" wording looks eerily similar to their state rival Virginia Tech.  Why UVA let Nike go that route is beyond me.  The basketball uniforms (with fonts, numerical and lettering) they had, was one of the best, if not the best in college hoops, why suddenly ruin it.  The football uniforms were good too but now it looks like that made it "too busy" with that update.

Overall I give it a C.  The logos are good, but they took a step backward with the new unis they have.  We'll find out come fall if it changes, but for now I think its a fair grade.

Truman State Bulldogs Unveil Refreshed Logo, Color Scheme

May 10, 2020 - 17:00 PM

In an effort to visually align with the academic marks released in March, the Truman State athletic department earlier this week unveiled a refreshed “T-Dog” primary logo alongside associated typography. “Throughout our history, the Bulldog brand has been changed many […]

Read More...

1 minute ago, -kj said:

Not bad.  Certainly better than the generic bulldog they used when I went there.

You went there? My wife, sister-in-law, and brother-in-law all went there as well. 

Here's their document for all the logos, including the secondary: https://spark.adobe.com/page/sIK7r8pcSdWaY/ 

My issue is just that I think the secondary logo would make a much better primary logo than the one they went with. The primary logo should be the secondary. 

I also know a lot of Truman alums really, really dislike the new academic logo (which the T in the new athletics logo is based off of) and prefer the old one. One of the jokes I've seen go around is that the top of the T in the new academic logo looks like the Budget car rental company logo.

Old: 

spacer.png

New: 

spacer.png

• Like 2

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

2 minutes ago, Maroon said:

I think the secondary logo would make a much better primary logo than the one they went with.

Now that I've seen it, I think you're right.

I'm also not sure about shoehorning that T into the background of the primary.

• Like 1

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

1 minute ago, -kj said:

Now that I've seen it, I think you're right.

I'm also not sure about shoehorning that T into the background of the primary.

For sure. I think they really wanted to tie the athletics and academic logos together in some way (which would make sense - a lot of schools use Bulldogs), and that was their concept. If they made their secondary their primary, and then made the primary the secondary without the "T" in the background I think it'd be a lot cleaner and be just about perfect.

Then again, I'm also the guy who annoys everyone with how I think Truman should have changed their mascot when they went from "Northeast Missouri State" to "Truman State." So many possibilities to be something unique! 

Truman State Statesmen/Stateswomen

Truman State Redlegs (from when Truman served in the battery in the US Army)

Truman State Hellraisers ("Give ’Em Hell, Harry!")

Truman State Buckstoppers (from Truman's "the buck stops here")

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs Reveal Logo Finalists For Brand Refresh

May 12, 2020 - 13:42 PM

On several occasions over the last four months, the University if California, Santa Cruz, has asked alumni, fans and students to vote on a new logo and wordmark.  Now on the verge of choosing the winner, the Banana Slugs want […]

Read More...

I like the one of the slug in the trees, considering that's where you always find them on the coastal forest environments. 

That said, neither one really is an "upgrade" over what they had..but then again, it's a banana slug, so how much can you really do with it?

• Like 1

Of the two primaries, I definitely prefer the slug on its own in the trees. The “UC” is a bit forced.

The options I voted for along the way weren’t picked, but I still think they’ll get an upgrade either way and I really do like how they went about this whole process from the start. It’s been fun to follow.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png