Memphis Grizzlies Unveil New Logos and Uniforms

I think this set is very Memphis, which is extremely good.

The lack of collar striping on the white and navy jerseys cheapens the look a bit, as does the small wordmark and front numbers. Those kinda make these seem like cheap high school jerseys.

The overall design is really nice though, and the light blue jersey is wonderful. I might have to pick up a pair of those shorts at some point.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might be that rare set where the best thing about them is the shorts. 

The wordmarks on the jerseys just seem so small and inconsequential. And I hate that it's arched only on one, but not the other two. It's like they designed it in photoshop. 

They're not immediately offensive but they certainly aren't classics either.

I think the wordmarks are too small a font. It's sort of like the issue New Orleans have because of their long name, but it's unneccesary for Memphis. Mixed with the double blue colourway which makes good contrast really difficult, and it just looks boring and bland.

I'd have preferred a more significant change.

6 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Why did they turn the bear paw? It looked WAAAAAY better before.

3UzQoXw.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

These are a very solid update from the previous uniforms. The curved panels are very 70’s and Memphis Sounds inspired, the asymmetry and huge shorts logo is clearly from the late Vancouver-early Memphis uniforms, and of course the alt is clearly derived from the originals. It’s the rare uniform where the inspiration is readily apparent and not just Nikespeak. Really glad they brought back the inlined numbers, it’s been a long time coming.

The white is probably the weakest of the three because of the lack of yellow, and the plain collars and arm trim really left them no way to include it effectively. 

The word marks and numbers could stand to be 20% bigger, they look really small. And I don’t think the arched wordmark deviates enough from the flatter one to not feel as though they didn’t know the best application so they did both. Also puzzling that they put Memphis on the white and Grizzlies on the away. 

The court desperately needs more color, but the sideline to sideline wood panels really work for the Grizzlies, to me it makes it seem as the opponents need to scrape every inch to advance and it works brilliantly for a team that built so much of its relevance on Grit and Grind. Still prefer the previous logos

07Giants.pngnyy.png

10 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

I said it on the NBA 2018-19 thread and I'll say it here: the franchise really should've changed its name after moving from Vancouver. They're trying to marry the Memphis motif with a grizzly bear name and primary logo. Those are two things that just don't go together.

Memphis Blues would've been so perfect.

(These uniforms are fine. Would like some yellow on the white set, but they're fine.)

This. The name doesn't work on it's own locally and then trying to blend it with Memphis creates a mess of a brand. The uniforms themselves are meh, but the name, and forced marriage of the two as you say, ruins it for me. They need to just let the Grizzlies go as there are so many potential local names/branding to work with - Blues, Sounds, even the Express etc. 

41 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Grizzlies>Express 

Disagree.  Memphis Express is probably the one non-plural name that I would really like.  "Grizzlies" sounds a little childish to me.  That whole Canadian expansion was a little childish from a brand standpoint.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

34 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

Is there a reason these tiny wordmarks are now a thing?  We're seeing them more and more.

Its very puzzling. One of the most important parts of the design process is analyzing the purpose and application of the work. When designing a wordmark, that means asking yourself, “How and where will this be used?” Short, wide letters work great for baselines and endzones, but in basketball, the most important touchpoint for a wordmark is the chest of the jersey and other apparel.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Disagree.  Memphis Express is probably the one non-plural name that I would really like.  "Grizzlies" sounds a little childish to me.  That whole Canadian expansion was a little childish from a brand standpoint.

Express sounds like an Arena League or 90s MLS name. Grizzlies isn't any different than being Tigers or Bears, just a bit more specific, and isn't nearly as goofy as Raptors. At its worst, Grizzlies is inoffensive as a team name. 

On 8/2/2018 at 5:52 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Names beneath numbers! Finally someone did it. Works so well IMO. 

Great work on these. 

I agree. The more I see it, the more I like it. It seems more natural. I usually refer to a player as “#23, James” or whoever and this reflects that. 

The only thing I like about this update is the powder blue third uniform that references the Vancouver look. The logos, the new font, the two primary unis - all are unnecessary downgrades. The primary uniforms look very generic, the main reason for what is the lack of yellow, especially on the white one, which uses only the two blues. The third one has the right amount of yellow. On top of its small size, the wordmark on the jerseys looks even lighter because of the inline. Not a fan of the 70's/80's graphic motif that extends to the court either.

Archived