NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

5 minutes ago, Bluefalcon said:

Never underestimate the pettiness of billionaires. I would imagine if the Texans tried something like this it would be in court for over a year...all over laundry.

you're probably right. and it's just so ridiculous.

sig2024.png

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Brian E said:

if i was the head of either organization, it's not a hill i'd die on. but if i'm the texans, i'd absolutely do an alternate uniform in powder blue/red/white, one shell rule or not (just swap out the decals). 

I think it's very much a hill the Titans' owner will die on, because late owner Bud Adams kind of already did. The Oilers are very much tied to the family legacy. Heck, I think the Adams all still live in Houston. They aren't gonna give that intellectual property away. 

So the person that said the nfl killed the colors etc then why does madden with the nfl license let you use the oilers uniform name etc in Houston 

because it helps to sell not a lot but there’s some that will buy the game just for that

4 minutes ago, jgiff17 said:

So the person that said the nfl killed the colors etc then why does madden with the nfl license let you use the oilers uniform name etc in Houston 

because it helps to sell not a lot but there’s some that will buy the game just for that

I have no idea what you're asking... I'm not even sure if this is a question.  Try some puncuation.

28 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

I think it's very much a hill the Titans' owner will die on, because late owner Bud Adams kind of already did. The Oilers are very much tied to the family legacy. Heck, I think the Adams all still live in Houston. They aren't gonna give that intellectual property away. 

that's great, and i absolutely get and agree with what you're saying, but it's pretty disingenuous to rip the team out of houston (all because you didn't get the city to pay for 75% of the new stadium you sought), then claim to hold onto the oilers lineage like its the family's precious. and i say this as a fan of a hockey team whose former owner (charles wang) believed so deeply that the islanders shouldn't play anywhere but long island that he accrued millions of dollars of personal debt to keep it that way, proposed a billion dollar, privately financed solution to the arena problem, then made sure the team stayed in new york (and technically, long island) when it did move venues, then was a driving force in striking the belmont deal that will finally get them their first class arena.

my point really is that owning a sports franchise is, while absolutely a business, is also akin to shepherding a regional public trust. the most egregious thing you can do to that public is to take the team elsewhere. if the allen family wants to have its cake and eat it too, they're well within their legal rights to do that, but that doesn't make it petty, silly, and flat out insulting to houston football fans.

sig2024.png

1 hour ago, unimaniac said:

I know this thread is for 2019 changes, but one of the Glazers made some comments about the Bucs in 2020 regarding possible new uniforms and/or doing a throwback game with the 1997-2013 set.

Pewter Report

"the fact that Tampa Bay has produced a record of 27-53 on the field likely has a lot to do with the hard feelings over the Bucs’ current look."

I 100% disagree with this statement by the author. At least from commentary I remember when the set was first released. I remember it being mocked right away because of the stupid numbers, pewter shoulders, and oversized logo on the helmet.

In an ideal world, the Oilers would still exist and the Titans would have been the expansion team, but that just isn't how it worked out. I would also be fine with a hypothetical deal where the Titans sell that history back to Houston, but at the same time it doesn't feel like it matters too much anymore. It's not as if the Texans are going to rebrand back to the Oilers so I don't think we'd see the colors and identity any more than we do now as long as the stupid one helmet rule is still being enforced. 

spacer.png

On 3/27/2019 at 6:22 PM, msubulldog said:

Does this mean the light blues will be worn for more than just early-season games in Florida or anywhere else where the home team suits up in white?

The article mentions that they chose not to wear them again after the first 2 games, but I don't understand how that would work when they need to decide before the season on jersey colors. So you may be right.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:12 AM, andrewharrington said:

I honestly think that’s a big reason why the new set (and the countless mockups out there that “fix” the stripes) don’t work as well. It makes the uniform look too stock and too contemporary.

The Browns’ classic set is kind of like the Giants’ uniform in that it’s a mess of all different patterns, but that tapestry effect is what makes it interesting and give it a richness that is lacking in an “everything matches” uniform. The only change major change I’d entertain on these is reversing the colors of the pant stripe, but I’m still torn because I know brown on the outside would coordinate nicely with the helmet stripe, but I think the extra orange down there balances the helmet shell quite well. For a team with a brand like the Browns, this kind of stuff works. For the Jaguars or Titans, not so much.

Two other ideas that interest me: I like the idea of going back to the thinner orange bands on the sleeve/sock to further differentiate the stripe designs:

spacer.png

It’ll never happen, but I’d also be interested in seeing them try a wild card and go with the previous helmet design with the solid white stripe and pair it with a solid orange pant stripe to match:

spacer.png

I want the browns to have the white helmet with orange stripes with brown going down the middle 

Norfolk,VA Philadelphia,PA VMD,(Virginia Maryland DC)

Why is it that the same people who complain about the Browns or Hornets deals as “rewriting history” also wish that the Titans had left the Oilers brand in Houston for the Texans to pick up? It’s a double standard. 

At the risk of being blasted by everyone here, the Oilers look (outside of the colors) wasn’t even good. They basically had clip art as their logo and paired it with super basic uniforms (that also featured those awful “floating stripes”). They looked like a Pop Warner team.

ExJworW.png

9 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Why is it that the same people who complain about the Browns or Hornets deals as “rewriting history” also wish that the Titans had left the Oilers brand in Houston for the Texans to pick up? It’s a double standard. 

At the risk of being blasted by everyone here, the Oilers look (outside of the colors) wasn’t even good. They basically had clip art as their logo and paired it with super basic uniforms (that also featured those awful “floating stripes”). They looked like a Pop Warner team.

The "Texans inheriting/taking the Oilers identity" is my least-favorite CCSLC trope. It's not happening. Ever.

The Oilers' identity was OK, but the only edge it has on the Texans is how it was worn by more memorable players and teams. The Texans simply look better than the Oilers ever did, and if the Texans get to a Super Bowl (or even an AFC championship game), the clamoring for an Oilers redux will hopefully end.

Are the Washington Senators considered one team even though it was two franchises?

Once the first team left and took their history with them a new team started up with the same name and basically filled the role.

Just because they lack history doesn't mean they couldn't use the name. Are the Winnipeg Jets the same team? No. But they still got the same name with Thrashers history. 

1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Is it really the same people, though?   Or just that both opinions can be found somewhere on these boards?

1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

spacer.png

The Oilers look was utter trash, saved only by the light blue. The Texans and the original Titans have/had a vastly superior aesthetic.

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

The "Texans inheriting/taking the Oilers identity" is my least-favorite CCSLC trope. It's not happening. Ever.

The Oilers' identity was OK, but the only edge it has on the Texans is how it was worn by more memorable players and teams. The Texans simply look better than the Oilers ever did, and if the Texans get to a Super Bowl (or even an AFC championship game), the clamoring for an Oilers redux will hopefully end.

At this point, the Texans have accrued enough stars to where it's almost a toss up. 

As a Texans fan who has no issue with the current uniforms, and actually thinks they knocked it out of the park the first time and shouldn't change...I also really dig the oilers uniforms, despite being too young to really remember them in Houston. The name and logo are absolutely perfect for a team based out of Houston, and the striping consistency across the board is really nice. 

The Texans franchise does not and should not even want to take back the Oilers brand. They have a really simple yet strong identity going for them that belongs in this league. I just wish they’d wear red socks more. The look gets slightly drab when they mix navy socks with navy pants so frequently.

spacer.png

Buy madden relocate titans to Houston as oilers relocate Texans to San Antonio as the express. Eff the Texans and eff the titans and Nashville. Bud Adams was a punk that did not have a problem like art model he left because he wanted houstonians to dish more money out on a new stadium when they were already paying off the renovations he pushed for the dome. He did not own the dome or lose money because of it. I really don’t think everyone would be down to totally change to the oilers but to take over all history of the Houston Oilers and the ability to wear Oiler throwbacks when and if there are more than one helmet allowed. Even if the nfl and Texans had a contract that they were to be worn only two times a year in the regular season only and all Houston Oiler history is now Texans history then I think this would be a great compromise 

Archived