NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Olmec said:

History belongs to the city. Case closed. Compromises can be made for stats and record keeping purposes but logos/identity/branding always belong to the city. 

Totally agree. I know it's an unpopular opinion on this board but I wish it would be a law that any team that moves from a city be required to leave the brand behind and create a new one in their new city. But go ahead and rip me for siding with fans rather than owners. 

14 hours ago, Olmec said:

History belongs to the city. Case closed. Compromises can be made for stats and record keeping purposes but logos/identity/branding always belong to the city. 

I would agree, but only in certain aspects. In the Browns case, the original team 'folded' when the expansion was granted to Baltimore, for all intents and purposes. I live in Oklahoma City, we have the Thunder, despite having the Seattle legacy, it's very rarely mentioned here expect for when a player hits a huge milestone, and even then its merely "Best in team history". To the Thunder and most Oklahomans, the Seattle Sonics are not the OKC Thunder, should the NBA return to Seattle, cool, let them bring the Sonics back.

In the case of the Oilers being tied to Houston and Tennessee, I think a compromise should be found. The team history/stats/etc all belong to the Titans organization, but the Texans should be able to celebrate the legacy of pro football in Houston by honoring players. Maybe have a shared revenue on any Oilers merch sold by the Texans to appease the Titans ownership?

In my opinion in regards to franchise vs city etc... is it's a case by case basis. In regards to the browns I'm ok with the agreement arranged. 

But in more cases than not branding/colors/history belongs with the franchise. 

Some exceptions can be made. For instance if a franchise is tired of the city they're in, have no strength of brand and want to move. They can opt to dump the history and name etc for greener pastures and a new name elsewhere.

Jazz, Giants, Dodgers , A's have been in their current locations for as long or longer than their previous. They certainly deserve to be said brands and enjoy their history anyway they see fit.

13 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

It's weird that some of the left are in flag colors, while the right are using team colors. Yet, both of the Vikings are the same? Doesn't seem like any consistency...

last year, most (if not all) teams had a secondary colorway, so it might just be that the vikings don't/didn't put that version as the 39thirty in their graphic.

sig2024.png

1 hour ago, HoopsCoach55 said:

I would agree, but only in certain aspects. In the Browns case, the original team 'folded' when the expansion was granted to Baltimore, for all intents and purposes. I live in Oklahoma City, we have the Thunder, despite having the Seattle legacy, it's very rarely mentioned here expect for when a player hits a huge milestone, and even then its merely "Best in team history". To the Thunder and most Oklahomans, the Seattle Sonics are not the OKC Thunder, should the NBA return to Seattle, cool, let them bring the Sonics back.

In the case of the Oilers being tied to Houston and Tennessee, I think a compromise should be found. The team history/stats/etc all belong to the Titans organization, but the Texans should be able to celebrate the legacy of pro football in Houston by honoring players. Maybe have a shared revenue on any Oilers merch sold by the Texans to appease the Titans ownership?

I think you nailed exactly why it’s a divisive topic. Every situation is different and it’s impossible to paint them all with a broad brush. The stuff that happened when they were your team matters to you, but the people in the new locale rarely care. As a Thunder fan (maybe you’re not even a fan, but I’m sure you know some), do you share any attachment to the Sonics’ lone championship? Does it even feel right to claim it from a fan’s perspective? Is it weird that, according to the books, the Thunder are “former NBA champions”? Would you feel proud to see them hang Gary Payton’s number from the rafters? Some may disagree, but for me, the answer would be a resounding “no” to all those if I were a Thunder fan.

Likewise, it doesn’t seem right to see Earl Campbell and Warren Moon in the Titans’ ring of honor. Neither of them ever played a down of pro football in Tennessee (well, Moon maybe once or twice as an opponent, but he never attempted a regular season pass in Tennessee), let alone suited up as Tennessee Titans. Eddie George? Fine. Bruce Matthews? Be my guest. Leave the Houston icons in Texas.

But, as I said, every situation is different. The Raiders and Rams, for example, have hopped around quite a bit. When they do the same thing, it doesn’t feel nearly as incongruous to me, and I think it’s becsuse they’ve kept their brands intact through three moves each. Their records and history feel more tied to the brands than the cities they’ve played in because of that.

Maybe the best way to handle it is if you ditch the brand when you move, you leave the records behind. If you keep the brand, you keep the records.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

Totally agree. I know it's an unpopular opinion on this board but I wish it would be a law that any team that moves from a city be required to leave the brand behind and create a new one in their new city. But go ahead and rip me for siding with fans rather than owners. 

Because it doesn't stand to any genuine logic.

If you loved KB Toys, you can't just name your new business KB Toys. That one is gone, and someone owns the rights. It doesn't matter "how much it meant to the community", that BUSINESS is gone.

3 minutes ago, mania said:

If you loved KB Toys, you can't just name your new business KB Toys. That one is gone, and someone owns the rights. It doesn't matter "how much it meant to the community", that BUSINESS is gone.

But isn't that pretty much exactly what happened with Hostess brand snacks, might be about to happen with Toys r us, and probably has happened a few more times I don't know about.  A new company aquires the brand/logo/name because people remember and love it so much?

2 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

But isn't that pretty much exactly what happened with Hostess brand snacks, might be about to happen with Toys r us, and probably has happened a few more times I don't know about.  A new company aquires the brand/logo/name because people remember and love it so much?

A company did buyout Toys R Us and controls pretty much every asset except that brand name. It will come back just under a new name.

Likewise, if the new team (or the league or whoever owns the trademarks for the old brand), doesn’t continue to use them in commerce, they can’t just hold onto them forever. If KB toys went belly up and no one bought the business, including brand and trademarks, those absolutely will expire and you could then open your very own KB Toys.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

15 minutes ago, mania said:

if you're linking to your pro graps podcast in your sig, how can you make this analogy and not use WCW/ECW????

sig2024.png

9 minutes ago, mania said:

What you are missing is that sports are unlike any other business in the world. Sports ownership is a bond with the team, city, and fans like no other business. 

Business A is a store exclusive to a town and has a years of positive impacts on the community. However, the owner wants to move Business A to another town and changes the name. Years later, someone wants to open a store in the same building as Business A and even decides to keep the same name as Business A that moved years prior. Is it right to do that?

16 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Business A is a store exclusive to a town and has a years of positive impacts on the community. However, the owner wants to move Business A to another town and changes the name. Years later, someone wants to open a store in the same building as Business A and even decides to keep the same name as Business A that moved years prior. Is it right to do that?

As long as IP laws allow it, sure. 

The Winnipeg Jets probably agree. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived