NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

1 hour ago, pelicanfan said:

Yea but I think what he was saying that was they follow the same template. So they all have the same wordmark design going either horizontal or vertical. And then adding their team’s design on the same stripe area. 

whereas the Celtics have plaid, or the bucks have diagonal letters

Sure, but he also used the word “plain” to describe them, and I really don’t think the ones for the teams I mentioned should be considered plain since they have custom patterns/graphics inside the side panel, whereas even, say, Milwaukee’s has the standard side panel design. Yeah Boston and Toronto have the patterns covering the base, and Milwaukee has the diagonal wordmark, but the ones for the teams I mentioned are still certainly not plain and make good use of the side panels for custom designs. The ones I’d consider plain are Detroit, Houston, San Antonio, Orlando, LAC, and OKC since they just have the standard side panel design and have the wordmarks/logos as the only custom aspects.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/18/2019 at 7:38 PM, Hoopskid said:

Sorry I hadn't seen this earlier.

Association:
49116941213_3c17c38709_b.jpgassociation201920 

Icon:

49117640527_c178b43c8d_b.jpgicon201920 

I don't want to be that guy, but the Thunder switched their Home and Road. "Oklahoma City" being on the home jersey, and "Thunder" being on the Road uniform. I just noticed that.

By the way, these graphics have been very helpful! So many uniforms I can't keep track anymore. 

52 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

Of course people are screaming for them Fiesta uniforms. Please tell me they coming within 2 years??!!!

1) What "people"?

2) There never were "Fiesta" uniforms. The Spurs' use of fiesta colours was limited to the logo. The uniforms remained black, silver, and white. 

On 12/18/2019 at 8:38 PM, Hoopskid said:

Icon:

49117640527_c178b43c8d_b.jpgicon201920 

Sheesh that is A LOT of blue, navy, and black. I knew these colors were common but honestly did not expect them to take up this much of the league. And here I was thinking red was the most common. Celtics, hornets, cavaliers, lakers, and bucks are the only teams that wear colors that only they wear.

Also isn’t the magic one black now?

IMG-7122.gif

7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

1) What "people"?

2) There never were "Fiesta" uniforms. The Spurs' use of fiesta colours was limited to the logo. The uniforms remained black, silver, and white. 

Yeah. I can see them over doing it. Fiesta was mainly on the alamodome court (and of course the logo), 

spacer.png

I can see them doing a Miami vice type aqua and pink jersey just for the hell of it. 

Just do a retro court and warmups or whatever and call it good 

spacer.png
——-

Most famously, the fiesta jerseys in their aqua and pink colors was seen with the NBA ASG in 1996

spacer.png

so it’s possible the spurs go this route for a real game experience. 

8 hours ago, Shadojoker said:

Spurs Twitter showcased D. Murray's shoes in "Fiesta" colors.

EMWZsArW4AAtEQo?format=jpg&name=large

EMWZsArXYAEL03M?format=jpg&name=large

Of course people are screaming for them Fiesta uniforms. Please tell me they coming within 2 years??!!!

Those would be flying off the shelves. The Spurs marketing team must be incredibly bad, no other explanation.

45 minutes ago, projectjohn said:

A shame as the Kobe era jerseys are so much better than the 2018 revamps, IMO.

Agreed, the current set is a jumbled mess compared with the consistency across the Kobe era unis. At least we still have the Heat.

12 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

1) What "people"?

1) people on Twitter responding/replying to the Spurs post with "fiesta" colors.

https://mobile.twitter.com/spurs/status/1208541060332429313

*Here is the link with 900+ replies*

2) We know there were never FIESTA uniforms but people are asking for Fiesta inspired uniforms based on the retro warmups and Alamodome court.

Nike's city/statement unis are good opportunities for this

(I.e. like Brooklyn Biggie Camo..the Spurs could EASILY do this)

shado_logo.gif

For those that didnt grow up in the 80s-90s

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR37S-aOFZOuh9dpKXXeDs

Their old warmup jackets.

631u7mrr77cz.jpg

Drb2sKZVYAEBS8r.jpg

They can go full Miami Heat like the Vice uniforms.

DrrrRoZUcAA2BXe.jpg

They can even use fiesta subliminally 

like their camo (*gasp*) uniforms and just keep the same template.

Or my personal favorite 

spurs-fiesta-colors_wusrij4wgpjf1u0asklx

Use this San Antonio wordmark with same font. And just use the fiesta design on the side like Brookyln Biggie uniforms.

Or I can shameless ask @Conrad. to post his concepts.

shado_logo.gif

2 hours ago, Shadojoker said:

1) people on Twitter responding/replying to the Spurs post with "fiesta" colors.

*Here is the link with 900+ replies*

2) We know there were never FIESTA uniforms but people are asking for Fiesta inspired uniforms based on the retro warmups and Alamodome court.

Nike's city/statement unis are good opportunities for this

(I.e. like Brooklyn Biggie Camo..the Spurs could EASILY do this)

900 isn’t a lot of people in the grand scheme of things. It’s also assuming that all 900 are in support of fiesta colors. It could just as easily be a vocal minority where the majority would rather not destroy their brand any more than what has already been done by Nike.

Twitter, even a thread with 900 replies, is not a scientifically accurate poll of the fanbase's feelings. Social media has a way of amplifying minor things. 

The Spurs seem to be a unique position where there's faux nostalgia for a 90s identity that never really existed. 

The Spurs have one of the most consistent brands in the NBA, and have managed to keep that intact even as the league and Nike oversaturated the market with clownish alternate uniforms. 

Fiesta uniforms? Eh...not feeling it. Especially considering the lack of historical precedent. 

They can go full Miami Heat like the Vice uniforms.

So shamelessly copying Miami's really cool and uniquely appropriate idea? I like the idea of fiesta uniforms even less now. 

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Spurs seem to be a unique position where there's faux nostalgia for a 90s identity that never really existed.

But it did exist as a part of the identity (logo, court) even though it wasn't featured on the uniforms. I could see an opportunity in the form of an alternate uniform with subliminal use of fiesta in the side-panels, like Brooklyn does, for example. I'm not crazy about the fiesta colors myself, though.

16 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

Celtics, hornets, cavaliers, lakers, and bucks are the only teams that wear colors that only they wear.

Nuggets have the same colors as Cavaliers.

Spurs should just have a fiesta alternate court next year. No need to go all out with a jersey, their uniforms already work well with the fiesta colors. If they had those colors on the uniforms it would have been bad. Shadojoker has a point though, if they have a fiesta pattern for side panels or something then they could maybe get away with it. They would have to make sure it's applied in a limited fashion while maintaining the classic Spurs look.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived