College Football 2019

29texan

31 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

So, how about making dazzle fabric that works with all of the modern lightweight materials? Don’t tell me that khaki is better than gold or gray is better than silver. That’s a case of function compromising aesthetics, which I thought y’all were against, @BrandMooreArt.

Khaki is better than dazzle gold and grey is better than dazzle silver.

Today’s matte fabrics are also more historically accurate:  dazzle was an 80’s/90’s uniform product.  Joe Montana didn’t wear dazzle gold pants with the 49ers, and Roger Staubach didn’t wear dazzle pants with the Cowboys.

Maybe you grew up in the 80’s and 90’s like I did and wore dazzle pants when you played in high school like I did too, but it’s not the original football uniform material, and that phase died out 20 years ago after the NBA killed it to death.  There’s a reason none of the major brands use it today:  it’s not as good and it’s not as aesthetically desirable.  Unless you’re shopping for some FILA basketball shorts at TJ Maxx.

Let the dazzle go, bro.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not make fabric that can match the shine of metallic fabrics that is also as lightweight as the matte materials? Surely, the Saints and Patriots would look better with fabrics that matched the shine of the helmets, right? Why do you think the Raiders and Cowboys keep the old stuff (even though the Cowboys should use a matte version of the old bluish silver)?

I know that it’s historically inaccurate for the 49ers, Cowboys, and Saints to be wearing dazzle. But the current design of the Saints would benefit a lot from the metallic material (I’d prefer a return to the dark gold). 

Yes, aesthetics have largely moved on from metallics (thank goodness), but it’d help to at least develop a lightweight version of the material. Think of the potential money! Of course, you’re too busy fellating the apparel companies (especially Nike) to care.

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

So, how about making dazzle fabric that works with all of the modern lightweight materials? Don’t tell me that khaki is better than gold or gray is better than silver. That’s a case of function compromising aesthetics, which I thought y’all were against, @BrandMooreArt.

Do you think if it were possible they wouldn’t do it especially for the teams like the saints if they asked for it.

2 hours ago, Volt said:

Today’s matte fabrics are also more historically accurate:  dazzle was an 80’s/90’s uniform product.  Joe Montana didn’t wear dazzle gold pants with the 49ers, and Roger Staubach didn’t wear dazzle pants with the Cowboys.

Maybe you grew up in the 80’s and 90’s like I did and wore dazzle pants when you played in high school like I did too, but it’s not the original football uniform material, and that phase died out 20 years ago after the NBA killed it to death.  There’s a reason none of the major brands use it today:  it’s not as good and it’s not as aesthetically desirable.  Unless you’re shopping for some FILA basketball shorts at TJ Maxx.

Let the dazzle go, bro.

I can guarantee you al davis would have opted for silver pants the minute he implemented the silver/black color scheme...there's a reason why the raiders, cowboys, and panthers continue to use that fabric on their pants because they consider the aesthetic to be part of their uniform...unless you are going for throwback accuracy to the 70's or earlier I can't think of a silver/gold/pewter pant that looks better being represented as matte gray/beige/charcoal...with that being said, dazzle pants are a superior aesthetic about 1/3 of the league which would be sufficient demand for creating a modern product with some sheen to it.

15 minutes ago, guest23 said:

I can guarantee you al davis would have opted for silver pants the minute he implemented the silver/black color scheme...there's a reason why the raiders, cowboys, and panthers continue to use that fabric on their pants because they consider the aesthetic to be part of their uniform...unless you are going for throwback accuracy to the 70's or earlier I can't think of a silver/gold/pewter pant that looks better being represented as matte gray/beige/charcoal...with that being said, dazzle pants are a superior aesthetic about 1/3 of the league which would be sufficient demand for creating a modern product with some sheen to it.

You say that like you know they haven’t when there is no evidence to either case. They probably have tried but have found they aren’t as durable, or lightweight as when trying to make a new version of metallic fabric. They See the results and show no benefit to the old dazzle twill so they then give the 2 options to the teams who then pick what they want and for the majority they chose the new matte fabrics for the weight advantage. 

Either that or they have matte as the primary option and if the team cares enough about the asthmatic over the heavier material they can demand that. This is probably the most likely situation but you can’t go around thinking they aren’t trying to develop materials to make dazzle fabrics more lightweight while keeping durability. Nike spends more in R&D than any other apparel manufacturer if you think none of it is going into that I’d think you’re mistaken.

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

No, I won't tell you that.  Gimme the shine!

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

if a team wanted a dazzle fabric they could get it, but i dont believe it would be as light or breathable as what they're using now. its not just a different finish, but different material. personally, i like the matte (khaki and gray) materials better than the metallic as well, so i would say the modern stuff is both better performing and better looking.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

6 hours ago, Volt said:

Let the dazzle go, bro.

I probably shouldn't wade into this, but glossy pants material absolutely did not start in the 80's.  It's true that football pants were matte through most of the 60's and all of the 70's, but I had no problem finding pictures of Y. A. Tittle in shiny silver britches, and even before that, at one time, you could sign up for the fancy Rayon Shell option. 

It's cyclical, bro.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Notre Dame pants from the 40's....

spacer.png

I believe Kansas State still wears the metallic silver pants and it looks fantastic. Who are some other college teams you all would like to see switch back to metallic pants? The first one that comes to mind for me is Florida State’s gold pants. The khaki doesn’t work for them.

51 minutes ago, BVZ said:

I believe Kansas State still wears the metallic silver pants and it looks fantastic. Who are some other college teams you all would like to see switch back to metallic pants? The first one that comes to mind for me is Florida State’s gold pants. The khaki doesn’t work for them.

Georgia

UCLA (though they have a decent shade now)

Colorado

Vanderbilt

Purdue

"Gold" pants that look light khaki are terrible. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, dont care said:

You say that like you know they haven’t when there is no evidence to either case. They probably have tried but have found they aren’t as durable, or lightweight as when trying to make a new version of metallic fabric. They See the results and show no benefit to the old dazzle twill so they then give the 2 options to the teams who then pick what they want and for the majority they chose the new matte fabrics for the weight advantage. 

Either that or they have matte as the primary option and if the team cares enough about the asthmatic over the heavier material they can demand that. This is probably the most likely situation but you can’t go around thinking they aren’t trying to develop materials to make dazzle fabrics more lightweight while keeping durability. Nike spends more in R&D than any other apparel manufacturer if you think none of it is going into that I’d think you’re mistaken.

Aside from the first sentence I agree with your statement. I have no idea where uniform fabric shine for metallic colors ranks on their r&d budget but my best guess is that it's either not easy to do or not a priority for any of the big 3 uniform suppliers. We are getting close to 2 decades elapsing without seeing any progress on this front but given how we are in peak 90's nostalgia I would think that the fashion cycle would at least try to make them popular again possibly as an option for 90's throwbacks. 

FSU and Notre Dame should always wear gold pants, and never khaki/tan. It's like Yankee pinstripes. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

56 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

FSU and Notre Dame should always wear gold pants, and never khaki/tan. It's like Yankee pinstripes. 

I actually think Notre Dame’s current pants shade works well for them as a nice vintage look. There’s no way to match pants to the level of shininess that’s on their golden domes. However, for both them and Georgia (silver britches) I think a return to mettalic pants would be welcomed. I could go either way. For FSU,  it’s a must.

40 minutes ago, BVZ said:

I actually think Notre Dame’s current pants shade works well for them as a nice vintage look. There’s no way to match pants to the level of shininess that’s on their golden domes. However, for both them and Georgia (silver britches) I think a return to mettalic pants would be welcomed. I could go either way. For FSU,  it’s a must.

unpopular opinion: nd metallic gold painted shell > hydroskin gold dome shell

I’m always interested to hear what the players have to say about uniforms, so I asked Ohio State wide receiver KJ Hill about them at Big Ten Media Days earlier this month. 

For some initial context, another reporter asked about his favorite alternate uniform during his career.

“I like the all-blacks,” he said. “If I had to choose between the red (home) or the white (road), I’d probably choose the white just because you’re icy with the white. I always wear the red cleats with the white because I feel like that standout. I have the white socks with the red shoes. The white with the red numbers and I might have the red gloves. You can do anything with the white.”

When I asked him specifically about the impact uniforms had on his recruitment, he said he refused to go to an Under Armour school (though he wouldn’t name which) because he didn’t like their gear. 

“If I don’t feel good then I don’t play good. That was one of my biggest nags in recruiting.”

Hill added that programs that wear alternate uniforms typically have an advantage over those that don’t. 

“I see recruits post it all the time. They post the all-whites we wore in Ann Arbor two years ago when Dwayne (Haskins) came in. They love those. They love the all-blacks. They have the different helmets, throw the visor on there. That’s part of football, that’s part of who you are, that’s your swag.”

At the end of the day, uniforms aren’t going to be the deciding factor. But for Hill, the brand and the materials they use are still important — at least important enough for him to rule out programs like Auburn, Notre Dame, South Carolina and Texas Tech (all of which extended an offer).

“I had the option to go wherever I wanted almost. I chose Nike all my life and I went to a Nike school.”

10 hours ago, BVZ said:

Interesting take. I disagree from a purely aesthetical standpoint, but it was a really cool tradition. Here’s a great article on the switch https://und.com/football-evolving-traditions-irish-helmets-as-iconic-as-ever/

I think the painting tradition and the fact that original idea of a painted gold shell was a nod to the gold dome was great from a design standpoint and it looked better when paired with shiny gold pants. I get that the hydro skin is a more literal replication of the treatment on the roof but sometime you can be too literal and it looks kind of tacky.

Ugh. Really don't need to fuel the crazies that believe "we can't win in Under Armour!"

Hell, former basketball coach Tony Barbee claimed Under Armour was killing the program. Thankfully that clown was proved wrong once again this year with the Final Four run.

I totally understand individuals that have their brand loyalty quirks. I don't like to wear adidas simply cause of a few bad shirts I've previously owned. If a player makes a decision based on that, so be it. But for some to claim it's a larger problem across the board, I think that's a bit crazy.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Archived