NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

5 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

OP wasnt saying they were too similar, it sounds like they were saying what Vegas has couldve been an evolution of the Canucks black and orange identity if it lasted longer.

Yes, exactly. 

The key word is evolve. We've seen a lot of different teams alter their colour shades to make them more modern, or more retro, or go through cycles of both (Penguins!) It's not a big change from black to grey, bright yellow to gold, etc. 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Similar but still different. One uniform is black and the other is grey. The Canucks used yellow while the Golden Knights use metallic gold. And last, the Canucks had yellow font on their blacks and VGK uses white font on their greys.

Thanks for that.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

8 hours ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

Avs need those pants or burgundy ones w the matching helmet on their regular unis. Black doesn't look right

I feel like the black accent works well for the Avs and is a nice addition considering the black puck in their logo. However I'd be interested to see how well their colour scheme works without black. I'm not convinced it would work, but if the right balance between burgundy, blue and white is achieved it maybe could.

Some thoughts on the previous few pages

1. Canucks throwbacks are fun but I far prefer their regular jerseys and logo. Would be sad if they went there full time.
  2. Oliers look way better with the navy than the royal blue on those orange jerseys. The orange and blue sweaters were so garish.

3 hours ago, Bayne said:

I feel like the black accent works well for the Avs and is a nice addition considering the black puck in their logo. However I'd be interested to see how well their colour scheme works without black. I'm not convinced it would work, but if the right balance between burgundy, blue and white is achieved it maybe could.

The Avalanche need to own burgundy. That means having at least a burgundy helmet with their burgundy sweaters and burgundy font on their whites. The puck is just one small element in their crest. After all, pucks are black. 

I feel like looking at the Avs when they first came into being, the black included on the dark uniforms helped a ton and it worked a lot better. When looking at it now it just doesnt seem right for the pants/gloves/helmets to not be black with the uniforms as is.  Change to something else like the alternates and sure, it can be done.  

7 hours ago, Point1 said:

Some thoughts on the previous few pages

1. Canucks throwbacks are fun but I far prefer their regular jerseys and logo. Would be sad if they went there full time.
  2. Oliers look way better with the navy than the royal blue on those orange jerseys. The orange and blue sweaters were so garish.

I much prefer the Oilers in the classic royal blue and orange.  The current orange, to me, is just too bright.  Also the new thirds SUCK something fierce.

4 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Avalanche need to own burgundy. That means having at least a burgundy helmet with their burgundy sweaters and burgundy font on their whites. The puck is just one small element in their crest. After all, pucks are black. 

I slightly cringe at this "own your colour" thing. Nashville did that. They sacrificed a nice mix of yellow and navy and went for 80% yellow and 20% navy. It looks plain and garish. I fear that's what would happen to Colorado if they tried to "own burgundy". It would lose that nice balance of colours that compliment the logo. And yeah, just because "pucks are black so, duh", doesn't mean that it's irrelevant. It's in their logo so it's a thing to consider.

The black gloves/pants works really well with the road whites, but not so much with the home, mainly because of the blue sleeves.  Maybe it's time Colorado switches out the black gloves/pants, or use them only for the road jersey, then switch to another colour at home, whether it be burgundy or blue.  With some teams using different pants/gloves for alternates, I don't see this being an issue.

8 hours ago, Bayne said:

I slightly cringe at this "own your colour" thing. Nashville did that. They sacrificed a nice mix of yellow and navy and went for 80% yellow and 20% navy. It looks plain and garish. I fear that's what would happen to Colorado if they tried to "own burgundy". It would lose that nice balance of colours that compliment the logo. And yeah, just because "pucks are black so, duh", doesn't mean that it's irrelevant. It's in their logo so it's a thing to consider.

I think they'd need to switch the silver on the uni to black to make the black pants and helmets fit w the homes. I still think burgundy, Burgundy, blue would look best. The only reason owning the color sucks is b/c Nashville is yellow. Minnesota owns green, looks great. 

Every concept I’ve seen that switch’s black out of the Avs set looks worse off. I think the black works. Especially for a 90s team where everything else is over designed, having the equipment portion of the uniforms (pants, gloves, helmet) be just standard black equipment is a nice contrast.

jNTsTyQ.png

22 hours ago, Bayne said:

First off, Nashville is the first NHL team to give primary yellow-gold creditability considering the Canucks and Kings were so mediocre with it during the 80's. What the Predators need to do wear their yellows on the road and have a matching navy set. The 80% yellow is the main reason why I like the Predators. 

As for Colorado, what is wrong with an all-burgundy uniform?? Several collegiate hockey teams wear it. Something different. Some added variety to go with existing all-blue(royal & navy), black and red uniforms. That's why I love the all-green of the Wild, North Stars and Whalers and all-purple of the Kings.

Absolutely not worth cringing about.

The Avs kind of give off a minor hockey look where all the kids have black equipment despite what colour their jerseys are because black is the default hockey equipment colour.

It's like when the Ducks went black equipment for those two seasons when there was an eggplant shortage. Only difference is the Ducks originally were eggplant and then went back to eggplant, they didn't choose to wear black and stick with it. The Mighty Ducks logo even has more black than the Avs logo.

13090522492224.jpg

If the Ducks could make eggplant equipment work, the Avs can do burgundy or even blue.

IbjBaeE.png

Blues are sporting the '94 throwbacks tonight, which is fine. What is absolutely fantastic, though, is Darren Pang's suit.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived