MLB 2019 Changes

That Cardinals powder blue alt is weird. The headspoon striping and the wordmark have a classic aesthetic, while the powder blue evokes the 70s and 80s. The clash is jarring, and I don’t think the uniform works. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the head-to-toe powder blue just doesn't work for me. Plus, with many players wearing white cleats, it made it even more jarring. I don't think anybody wore high socks with red shoes (Wong wore powder blue cleats, which didn't look terrible with the uniform).  The jersey individually looks nice and if it was worn at home where they wear white pants because grey pants with powder blue looks off, it wouldn't be a bad "limited alternate" jersey. But at this point, I'd rather they just switch the "St. Louis" mark to the road jerseys and limit the alternate to the cream Saturdays. Maybe wear the powder blue jersey for the occasional day game, but not all of them.

2 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

I watched the Cardinals play in their new powder blues yesterday. When they unveiled them, I was of the opinion that they were wholly unnecessary but I was optimistic they would look good in game. I do appreciate their commitment to the look by going full powder blue with the pants too. It’s the first full powder blue uniform in the majors that isn’t a throwback, unless I’m forgetting something? 

After seeing them in action last night, I think I don’t like them. They aren’t better than the regular road grays, so why bother wearing them. A couple players wore high socks last night and I thought that was a little better look. The uniform with long pants reminded me of medical scrubs. I wanted to like the uniforms but I was disappointed in the end.

Yes, I do believe it's the first non-throwback powder blue road full uniform in any capacity (regular road or alternate) since the 1991 Expos and Royals.  So, in a way, yesterday was kind of a milestone in road uniforms.  Of course, if/when a team goes regular with road powder blues, that will be a bigger deal than a Saturday-only road uni that'll get worn fewer than 10 times this season.

For what it's worth, I thought they looked good.  Of course, if you look at my post history, you can see I'm a fan of powder blue roads, so I'm biased. 🙂  However, I think the concept works in a non-pullover/sansabelt/form-fitting uniform setting.  The color contrast of the light blue with the red and even some of the yellow worked to my eyes.  I did spend a good amount of the game (I'm in Wisconsin, so I was able to watch the game on Fox Sports Wisconsin like every Brewers game) trying to soak in the different angles, and it is still a bit of an adjustment seeing a team on the road nowadays not wearing grey and/or a solid-color alternate, but I think they're fine.  I do wonder, though, if some of those teams more-associated with the color -- the Royals, the Blue Jays, the Brewers, the Rays -- were keeping an eye on yesterday's game (and levels of online reaction, besides their own in-house focus grouping) to see if they could look good pulling off something similar full-time or as an alternate.

I'm disappointed Cleveland isn't wearing the Robinson patch all season. I hope the All Star wordmarks get an outline as well. Philadelphia changing blues helped their alternate helmets pop a lot more. They look a lot better.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, hofflalu said:

Yes, I do believe it's the first non-throwback powder blue road full uniform in any capacity (regular road or alternate) since the 1991 Expos and Royals.  So, in a way, yesterday was kind of a milestone in road uniforms. 

I do wonder, though, if some of those teams more-associated with the color -- the Royals, the Blue Jays, the Brewers, the Rays -- were keeping an eye on yesterday's game (and levels of online reaction, besides their own in-house focus grouping) to see if they could look good pulling off something similar full-time or as an alternate.

Yeah I think you’re right about those other teams being able to pull it off. They are all way more closely associated with powder blue than the Cardinals, IMO. I could see any of those clubs rolling with a full-time powder blue road uniform and looking really good while doing it. I think powder blue or any full color uniform can work in the right situation. The red caps with the powder blue is garish and is best left in the 80’s where it belongs. The Cardinals aesthetic is way too traditional for powder blue to be a part of their brand.

If any team should have rolled out a powder blue uniform, it's the Brewers.  That said, the Cards' effort is a hell of a lot more pleasing to the eye than what the Mariners were wearing this spring.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

59 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

Yeah I think you’re right about those other teams being able to pull it off. They are all way more closely associated with powder blue than the Cardinals, IMO. I could see any of those clubs rolling with a full-time powder blue road uniform and looking really good while doing it. I think powder blue or any full color uniform can work in the right situation. The red caps with the powder blue is garish and is best left in the 80’s where it belongs. The Cardinals aesthetic is way too traditional for powder blue to be a part of their brand.

The Cardinals have been screwing up their brand since the beginning of 2013.

971nI0O.jpg

lPnHroe.jpg

9X383QX.jpg

These are from all 3 games against the Cubs this weekend. I can't see that belt as anything other than black. I don't know if that's old hat or something new, but if anybody knows why they wear a black belt, please fill me in. I guess it could be a dark navy but that doesn't make much sense either. 

Also, I find this interesting...

Bryce Harper is wearing his old "34/BH" logo arm sleeves in Philly with the "4" being etched out/removed. In spring training he was still wearing the 34. 

8xPzQbc.jpg

VydjjrX.jpg

On 3/30/2019 at 8:54 PM, Around the Horn said:

Blue accessories with the cream uniforms are absolutely beautiful

spacer.png

It's funny how different colored accessories completely change the look of a uniform. I was surprised to see this on Saturday, and was really pleased to see how good it looks! The only think I hate seeing is when players wear different colored accessories for the same uniform in the game.  

32 minutes ago, shstpt1 said:

The only think I hate seeing is when players wear different colored accessories for the same uniform in the game.  

I thought I disliked this until I saw the Marlins doing this on Saturday. Their new scheme is black, light blue, and red... on Saturday they wore their black jerseys, Martin Prado had a red arm sleeve, Miguel Rojas had a blue arm sleeve... together I thought it looked good. Not every team but I think some teams can get away with multiple colored accessories in the same game...

Image result for martin prado 2019

Image result for martin prado 2019

On 3/30/2019 at 6:39 PM, AustinFomBoston said:

Not sure if this is the Right place to post this, but

Can I just say, I always thought that the White lettering The Red Sox used on their Practice Jerseys stands out SO MUCH better than the Navy the use on their actual Red Alternates. Stands out much better. I've always had a hard time making out the names on darker colors. 

Gotta disagree there -- I like the white lettering fine enough for BP, but not on the game alternates. I like the Red Sox being a red team, but only if there's lots of navy to go with it; and I also think that using mostly red and navy with only a small bit of white trim always is the most attractive and least overused combination of those colors.

On 3/31/2019 at 2:56 AM, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

The side-by-side says it all for me -- the powder blue works well enough on those retro-future pullover era uniforms, but applying it to a more traditional look is just...wrong? Especially since it usually looks way more saturated than in the current-day photo in this tweet. Don't like this at all.

I wouldn't say "wrong," but it doesn't look like powder blue at all.  May have to wait until proper summer sunlight to get some nice colorful shots.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

41 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I wouldn't say "wrong," but it doesn't look like powder blue at all.  May have to wait until proper summer sunlight to get some nice colorful shots.

I think this is more an issue with the photo than with the look. On TV these were clearly powder blue. In that photo they look grey.

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

It's funny how different colored accessories completely change the look of a uniform. I was surprised to see this on Saturday, and was really pleased to see how good it looks! The only think I hate seeing is when players wear different colored accessories for the same uniform in the game.  

I’ve been saying since they debuted in 2008 that they need to be worn with blue sleeves and socks, and blue or black belts/shoes. It’s silly and inaccurate to wear red. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why are those jerseys cream to begin with? The color scheme is like the Pilots and the early years of the Mariners and to the best of my knowledge none of those teams wore cream so this is cream to imitate something old when it has no purpose.

Did the Mariners invent (CFCS) Cream For Cream's Sake?

Archived