MLB 2019 Changes

14 hours ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

I actually kinda dig the style guide figures used. The uniforms are probably not all manufactured yet so probably no time to get a photoshoot with real players.

They had a set ready for mannequins at the press event back in November.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

The Rockies removed the pinstripes from the home pants.  Not sure if its just the purple alts or what but their pants today just have a single thin purple stripe on the sides.

They’re for both the purple and black alts:

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

And here's how it looks in reality:

They're wearing the all black hat and not the purple-billed hat shown in the image above.

I personally don't understand why the Rockies have a black hat, I just think they should use the purple-billed hat all the time, especially since they've dropped the all purple hat.

The Rockies look about as well as they can here. It's incredibly frustrating knowing that Arizona apparently won't bring back the 2001 unis because they see Purple as Colorado's color. Yet the Rocks still insist on favoring black.

The Rockies should just own purple. No one uses only purple and white.

On 11/26/2018 at 4:13 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

You are correct to note that people like different things.

But I will mention again that I grew up in the 1970s, in the heyday of powder blue. Fortunately, however, the good examples of the Yankees and the Mets provided me with enough context to understand, even as a 10-year-old, that powder blue was cheesy — even on the Royals. (The Royals didn't get it right until 1983, when they adopted the uniform I highlighted above.)

When teams began dropping powder blue in favour of grey at the end of the 1980s, I was so pleased.  It was only then that I could really enjoy the Phillies on the road.

Image result for phillies 1989

That right there is a sharp baseball uniform.

On 11/26/2018 at 9:54 PM, Brandon9485 said:

I was born in the 80s but did not become aware of baseball until shortly after the swirly P look was put away. With that said, this look needs to come back and be the primary again. Not only would the Phillies have a shade of red (or whichever color you prefer) all to their own, the current Phils look outside the number font and sleeve numbers is so generic. The Phillies could really have a look all their own again. 

I think that maroon, plus the current royal blue, would be a good look. Similar to the Avalanche.

15 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

The Braves debuted their new reds and they look great. I prefer these over the previous two versions with the louder two color striping and the classic hat is better (compared to the tomahawk A hat).

The thing that strikes me most about those images is that Albies needs to jump on the striped sock bandwagon.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

18 hours ago, zigbazah said:

The Braves red alternates look fine, but there's just so much red and navy in MLB that it doesn't really stand out. 

I think that’s true, but also, there’s maybe no better look than a red jersey with navy trim/wordmarks/numbers.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The Astros have not been wearing the orange bill “road” hat. They have always worn them with the gray road uniforms but stopped wearing them during the playoffs in 2017 and 2018. Now they’re not wearing them at all (so far) in 2019.

spacer.png

And they switched to 3D logos on the helmets.

spacer.png

On 4/5/2019 at 8:52 PM, NicDB said:

The Rockies look about as well as they can here. It's incredibly frustrating knowing that Arizona apparently won't bring back the 2001 unis because they see Purple as Colorado's color. Yet the Rocks still insist on favoring black.

The Rockies should just own purple. No one uses only purple and white.

That's what frustrates me. Oakland owns green. San Diego can own brown. Colorado has been able to own purple for years yet just won't seem to do it.

15 hours ago, swisherHOU said:

The Astros have not been wearing the orange bill “road” hat. 

Good.  I hate that cap. 

spacer.png

The first cap in the modern era to violate the “button must match a contrasting bill” rule.  Would look great with an orange button, but not with navy. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Good.  I hate that cap. 

spacer.png

The first cap in the modern era to violate the “button must match a contrasting bill” rule.  Would look great with an orange button, but not with navy. 

It really doesn’t look good, even with an orange button. The bill and the insignia wind up competing for attention too much. There’s a reason why caps that have a contrasting bill generally use a different color insignia:

spacer.png

spacer.png

...or use a one-color design/a multicolor look that has clear differentiation between different elements and strong contrast:

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

The Astros’ cap has the white “H” and orange star competing for attention, with the orange bill only magnifying the problem. A navy outline on the “H” would fix it. It’s why the orange cap looked so good for the 2013-present team.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, 14er said:

The Reds are wearing their red alternate on the road today. I'm pretty sure this is a new occurance as that jersey has been reserved for home day games over the past ten years. 

The Pirates are wearing their gold jersey/black pants uniform today, so we got have a neat little battle of the condiments in Pittsburgh.

Archived