College Football 2020

Kevin W.

10 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

So am the only one who still thinks a logo featuring a basketball player looks pretty stupid on a football jersey?

Beyond stupid. Like MJ-baseball stupid. 

• Like 3

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

6 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I don’t necessarily disagree, but I haven't seen any evidence to support that.. I live 30 miles from USC and I haven't seen or heard any negativity regarding UA.. generally, people pretty much seem to like and support it.. although I haven't looked much into it

It’s more on UA not being able to support the deal than the other way around. It’s public knowledge that UA expanded too fast and now is running on ultra-thin margins now.

11 hours ago, tron1013 said:

If Under Armor terminates the balance of the ten year, $7.15m/year per annum deal with South Carolina running through 2026 I suspect the Gamecocks want Nike over Adidas but aren’t even thinking Jordan brand.  Plus, if Nike is going add a Palmetto State-based team to its Jordan cadre, it will be Clemson (which is in a different division than UNC so would not be minimizing the brand’s cache within the ACC FB setup too much). Many Gamecock fans would welcome having Nike handle all sports unis over UA.

Gamecocks football was going to wear the throwbacks look full time, right? UA did a good job with those.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 5/19/2020 at 6:49 AM, dont care said:

It’s more on UA not being able to support the deal than the other way around. It’s public knowledge that UA expanded too fast and now is running on ultra-thin margins now.

I know for a fact that USC has been purchasing lower-price apparel for years and simply printing the UA logo on it, so unless they're getting a sweetheart of a deal from another company, they'll likely stuck with UA.. at least from what I've seen

On 5/18/2020 at 11:55 AM, BVZ said:

Agreed. Although there is no way Jordan would allow schools to have an exclusive over the entire conference. If Alabama wanted to go with Jordan, they would find a way to make it happen.

Far more likely that Jordan is just protecting their brand, as they always have. South Carolina wouldn’t make sense, but USC west coast would. Curious to see who the next school will be to jump on board.

You’re probably right that a big fish like Alabama could force their way in. But... IMO it seems Nike wants Jordan associated with dynamic, hip,  and up and coming programs that have had historical success. Alabama fits nicely in the mold Nike wants its premiere programs (steady, timeless/traditional). 

Its all a balance, Nike doesn’t want all of its good teams going Jordan (neither do the teams, then it’s no longer premium) because they need premier teams under the swoosh brand too.

• Like 3

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

On 5/18/2020 at 9:58 AM, JTernup said:

Agreed, SCAR is definitely not going Jordan, I would bet my life on it. As you mentioned, in football at least the Jordan branding is saved for elite programs and Jordan's alma mater. They have also given out Jordan branding for one of three reasons, Jordan affiliation (UNC), as a reward for long time Nike schools that have had a lot of success (UF, OU), or to sweeten the deal for a blue blood program making the jump to Nike (Michigan). SCAR definitively does not fit into any of those categories. 

Not only that but it sure seems like Nike and Jordan have decided to use the Jordan branding on one school per conference, I'd bet given how they have handled it that each of the Jordan schools have some language in their contracts that states they will be the only Jordan outfitted school in their respective conferences. 

If you take a look at the fine print of the Florida and Oklahoma contracts (you may have to do a little digging but both are public record and online), it's written in there that each will be the only school in the SEC and Big12 respectively to wear the Jordan brand during the duration of the contracts. Other schools are permitted to order Jordan apparel for postseason gift packages and a coach wearing Jordan shoes and apparel does not put them in violation of a Nike contract, but no other school in each of those conferences will have Jordan as their primary provider.  

• Like 3

No such language exists in Michigan’s contract with Nike, though the only other Big Ten team even worth mentioning in this conversation is Ohio State, and there’s no way they’d ever follow Michigan’s lead in that department. 

On a related note, I’ve been told Ohio State has no plans to replace the Nike Swoosh with a LeBron logo, either — even if it would make for a good Jordan vs LeBron storyline on top of the rivalry between the two programs. The biggest reason, of course, is that LeBron is not a subsidiary of Nike like Jordan Brand is. It’s simply a logo that falls under the Nike Basketball umbrella, a la Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving’s logos. You won’t see their marks at Texas or Duke’s uniforms anytime soon for that same reason. That said, LeBron actually considered establishing a brand outside the Nike Basketball umbrella in 2015. Maybe those conversations resume after he retires, and LeBron’s logo starts popping up on football uniforms thereafter? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BRice16 said:

If you take a look at the fine print of the Florida and Oklahoma contracts (you may have to do a little digging but both are public record and online), it's written in there that each will be the only school in the SEC and Big12 respectively to wear the Jordan brand during the duration of the contracts. Other schools are permitted to order Jordan apparel for postseason gift packages and a coach wearing Jordan shoes and apparel does not put them in violation of a Nike contract, but no other school in each of those conferences will have Jordan as their primary provider.  

Thanks, I might have to look that up. That's something that I intuitively knew/believed but didn't have any actual evidence of so I'm glad my intuition was correct.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Making your own logo is such a basketball thing. Like it's just the next step in a streetball kid's dreams.

Play in college, draft early, hit the league, win some hardware, drop an album and make a brand. 

It feels so formulaic and overplayed. 

• Like 2

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 5/18/2020 at 1:36 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

So am the only one who still thinks a logo featuring a basketball player looks pretty stupid on a football jersey?

I'd agree. As iconic as the Jumpman logo is, if MJ knew it would be on other sports uniforms, he should've gone with something else to be his logo, or at least have another logo for other sports. Though I feel it might be Nike placing it everywhere.

• Like 2

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

22 hours ago, pianoknight said:

Making your own logo is such a basketball thing. Like it's just the next step in a streetball kid's dreams.

Play in college, draft early, hit the league, win some hardware, drop an album and make a brand. 

Easy with the undertones, dude.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Not really.

Also these two, which I had never seen prior to yesterday while watching The Match-

wilson-logo.jpg

443063_t6gdqfrf2qizow5blttgovo2g.png

It'd be essentially like turning down money for these athletes to not expand their personal brand. 

• Like 5

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Not really.

spacer.png

Watching Tom Brady golf yesterday reminded me of how bad his logo is. My wife thought it was supposed to be 'T3L.' 

He should embrace the GOAT label people have given him and roll with a goat logo like @Conrad.

3068.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

• Like 5

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

23 hours ago, pianoknight said:

You're going to see personal brands becoming more and more prevalent, especially with college athletes soon being able to capitalize on their name, image and likeness. Shoot, creative teams at some schools have been creating them for years now as part of their program's recruiting pitch. You'd be foolish to not establish a brand early in your career and build upon it as you go.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, henburg said:

Also these two, which I had never seen prior to yesterday while watching The Match-

wilson-logo.jpg

443063_t6gdqfrf2qizow5blttgovo2g.png

It'd be essentially like turning down money for these athletes to not expand their personal brand. 

Texas even made logos for all of their incoming players last year. Partially tongue in cheek but I wonder with NIL if we could see that happening at all of the Power 5 schools.

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

15 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Texas even made logos for all of their incoming players last year. Partially tongue in cheek but I wonder with NIL if we could see that happening at all of the Power 5 schools.

I do think there’s a difference between simply creating a logo and creating a brand for these kids, though. The logos are cool for signing day graphics and what not, but it’s more important to create something that has staying power. As I sort of alluded to, Ohio State has been doing this Brand “U” program for a few years now, which was established by their former creative director Sammy Silverman, where they work with the kids through the recruiting process and once they’re on campus to create a brand and teach them how to market themselves once they leave college. That will surely factor into the name, imagine and likeness conversation. 

• Like 1

Cheez-It moved their sponsorship from the game in Phoenix (which is now called the Cactus Bowl again) and moved it to the game in Orlando that used to be called the Camping World Bowl (previously the Tangerine/Champs Sports/Russell Athletic Bowl).

Orlando will host the Cheez-It Bowl, with the snack food replacing Camping World as the game's title sponsor.

48 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Cheez-It moved their sponsorship from the game in Phoenix (which is now called the Cactus Bowl again) and moved it to the game in Orlando that used to be called the Camping World Bowl (previously the Tangerine/Champs Sports/Russell Athletic Bowl).

Orlando will host the Cheez-It Bowl, with the snack food replacing Camping World as the game's title sponsor.

Is that the official logo? I'm still getting heavy Arizona vibes from that.

• Like 2

ExJworW.png

15 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Is that the official logo? I'm still getting heavy Arizona vibes from that.

It would appear so looking at Florida Citrus Sports website. They are the organization that puts on the game.

https://floridacitrussports.com/2020/05/22/cheez-it-signs-on-as-bowl-partner/

Here is the previous Cheez-It Bowl logo from Arizona

1200px-Cheez-It_Bowl_logo.svg.png