College Football 2020

Kevin W.

3 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

I don’t see it for a few reasons. Jordan wouldn’t position themselves against the primary rival of Michael Jordan’s own school. South Carolina is already one of UA’s more prominent schools and if they can hang on to them, they should. Also, Jordan tends to go after some of the biggest and most successful teams (UNC, Michigan, Florida, Oklahoma) and I just don’t see SC in that category- they’re definitely more middle of the pack.

I'm not sure I'd call South Carolina the primary rival of North Carolina. 

A school in Durham would disagree. Even the school in Raleigh. 

• Like 10

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

It's more strange that you made that up...

https://goheels.com/news/2015/6/10/205473190.aspx

I did not expect this response lol - mostly just referring to their recruiting efforts, like this tweet.

7 hours ago, TarPitHeels said:

Could be worse... we could be N.C. State

If you're ok with other schools using your most prominent alum for marketing then whatever, personally I would find it annoying.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I'm not sure I'd call South Carolina the primary rival of North Carolina. 

A school in Durham would disagree. Even the school in Raleigh. 

Yeah I definitely had a brain fart there. Obviously have football on the brain and Duke never really registers as a football program. Lol. Nonetheless, I don’t think Jordan would go after SC.

• Like 2

People in South and North Carolina do not see each other’s school as rivals. Yea they may say “Real Carolina” but they are in no way big time rival. 

NC vs NC.St yes But not SC vs. NC. In fact you’ll see NC fans at SC games and vice versa.

On 5/16/2020 at 2:53 PM, aawagner011 said:

I don’t see it for a few reasons. Jordan wouldn’t position themselves against the primary rival of Michael Jordan’s own school. South Carolina is already one of UA’s more prominent schools and if they can hang on to them, they should. Also, Jordan tends to go after some of the biggest and most successful teams (UNC, Michigan, Florida, Oklahoma) and I just don’t see SC in that category- they’re definitely more middle of the pack.

———

Edit- pardon my total whiff on NC and SC being main rivals. D’oh!

Agreed, SCAR is definitely not going Jordan, I would bet my life on it. As you mentioned, in football at least the Jordan branding is saved for elite programs and Jordan's alma mater. They have also given out Jordan branding for one of three reasons, Jordan affiliation (UNC), as a reward for long time Nike schools that have had a lot of success (UF, OU), or to sweeten the deal for a blue blood program making the jump to Nike (Michigan). SCAR definitively does not fit into any of those categories. 

Not only that but it sure seems like Nike and Jordan have decided to use the Jordan branding on one school per conference, I'd bet given how they have handled it that each of the Jordan schools have some language in their contracts that states they will be the only Jordan outfitted school in their respective conferences. 

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

On 5/16/2020 at 1:53 PM, aawagner011 said:

———

Edit- pardon my total whiff on NC and SC being main rivals. D’oh!

With Florida already being the Jordan Brand school in the SEC East, Nike has little reason to make South Carolina a Jordan school. Not meant to be a knock on South Carolina, but it wouldnt line up with how Nike is handling the brand up to this point as there has yet to be two Jordan schools in the same conference let alone division.

1 hour ago, JTernup said:

Agreed, SCAR is definitely not going Jordan, I would bet my life on it. As you mentioned, in football at least the Jordan branding is saved for elite programs and Jordan's alma mater. They have also given out Jordan branding for one of three reasons, Jordan affiliation (UNC), as a reward for long time Nike schools that have had a lot of success (UF, OU), or to sweeten the deal for a blue blood program making the jump to Nike (Michigan). SCAR definitively does not fit into any of those categories. 

Not only that but it sure seems like Nike and Jordan have decided to use the Jordan branding on one school per conference, I'd bet given how they have handled it that each of the Jordan schools have some language in their contracts that states they will be the only Jordan outfitted school in their respective conferences. 

Agreed. Although there is no way Jordan would allow schools to have an exclusive over the entire conference. If Alabama wanted to go with Jordan, they would find a way to make it happen.

Far more likely that Jordan is just protecting their brand, as they always have. South Carolina wouldn’t make sense, but USC west coast would. Curious to see who the next school will be to jump on board.

27 minutes ago, TGroce said:

I'm of the belief that the Jumpman logo kind of transcends any particular sport. I am also, however, a UNC alumnus so my bias may be showing...

This. I'm actually annoyed that schools that use Jordan Brand for football and basketball, don't carry that to all sports.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

This. I'm actually annoyed that schools that use Jordan Brand for football and basketball, don't carry that to all sports.

I'm guessin that nike did a cost/benefit analysis that there was no revenue upside to having the jumpman logo on the non-revenue team uniforms because there isn't a big enough retail market for those products that those teams use.

32 minutes ago, guest23 said:

I'm guessin that nike did a cost/benefit analysis that there was no revenue upside to having the jumpman logo on the non-revenue team uniforms because there isn't a big enough retail market for those products that those teams use.

Well there's no revenue upside to having the swoosh on non-revenue teams either. 

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

41 minutes ago, guest23 said:

You're right in saying there isn't a retail market for non-revenue sports, but there's no added value in having any sort of maker's mark on the uniform if that's what you're basing it off of. I'm also not sure they would incur any extra costs in stitching the Jordan Brand logo instead of a Nike Swoosh on the actual team's uniforms. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

You're right in saying there isn't a retail market for non-revenue sports, but there's no added value in having any sort of maker's mark on the uniform if that's what you're basing it off of. I'm also not sure they would incur any extra costs in stitching the Jordan Brand logo instead of a Nike Swoosh on the actual team's uniforms. 

There's a teamwear and limited shoe market for the non-rev sports which is much smaller than retail. With basketball and football you can also sell sell fan merch and footwear with the jordan brand. While the effort of slapping a jumpman logo on a nike uniform is little effort and cost, nike sees more value in keeping those sports all under the nike umbrella. You might be able to make a case for baseball/softball to sell cleats and accessories but not much else.

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

So am the only one who still thinks a logo featuring a basketball player looks pretty stupid on a football jersey?

Nope. Even dumber on soccer jerseys.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 1/19/2020 at 6:49 PM, SCL said:

Just bring these back already

GettyImages-461080123-775x465.jpg

When it comes to Florida's Big Three schools (UF, UM, and FSU) classic is the way to go. There was never a need to mess with it. Miami went back to what they should have always had, and FSU should do the same. You want fun, dynamic uniforms? That's left for UCF, USF, FAU, and FIU.

• Like 3

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

11 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

With Florida already being the Jordan Brand school in the SEC East, Nike has little reason to make South Carolina a Jordan school. Not meant to be a knock on South Carolina, but it wouldnt line up with how Nike is handling the brand up to this point as there has yet to be two Jordan schools in the same conference let alone division.

If Under Armor terminates the balance of the ten year, $7.15m/year per annum deal with South Carolina running through 2026 I suspect the Gamecocks want Nike over Adidas but aren’t even thinking Jordan brand.  Plus, if Nike is going add a Palmetto State-based team to its Jordan cadre, it will be Clemson (which is in a different division than UNC so would not be minimizing the brand’s cache within the ACC FB setup too much). Many Gamecock fans would welcome having Nike handle all sports unis over UA.

3 hours ago, tron1013 said:

If Under Armor terminates the balance of the ten year, $7.15m/year per annum deal with South Carolina running through 2026 I suspect the Gamecocks want Nike over Adidas but aren’t even thinking Jordan brand.  Plus, if Nike is going add a Palmetto State-based team to its Jordan cadre, it will be Clemson (which is in a different division than UNC so would not be minimizing the brand’s cache within the ACC FB setup too much). Many Gamecock fans would welcome having Nike handle all sports unis over UA.

I don’t necessarily disagree, but I haven't seen any evidence to support that.. I live 30 miles from USC and I haven't seen or heard any negativity regarding UA.. generally, people pretty much seem to like and support it.. although I haven't looked much into it