College Football 2020

Kevin W.

2 minutes ago, JTernup said:

I’m not trying to make the definitive list of the top brands in CFB, I’m just trying to understand what seems to be driving this Jordan school selection. I definitely disagree with your assessment, especially in the case of Michigan (still a bigger brand than OSU across academics and sports, with nobody else particularly close) but the fact of the matter is that each of those schools is arguably the biggest brand. To my original point UA doesn’t come close to being the biggest Pac 12 brand.

Ohio State gets LeBron branded gear for football and basketball so Nike wasn't going to spite their nose when Michigan is still a big name even if they aren't making playoffs. As far as the biggest brand now though? That would be Ohio State since they have owned Michigan in football for the last two decades. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Ohio State gets LeBron branded gear for football and basketball so Nike wasn't going to spite their nose when Michigan is still a big name even if they aren't making playoffs. As far as the biggest brand now though? That would be Ohio State since they have owned Michigan in football for the last two decades. 

Wins and losses are only part of the equation. While the wolverines have wallowed in mediocrity for quite some time they are still extremely popular and may very well sell more merch than tosu. It's hard to tell without hard data. I do agree in terms of pure football and sports related press it's not even a close discussion.

• Like 2

I have to admit the helmet stripes on Miami's black helmet are pretty cool. And the Miami Arena wordmark on the back bumper is interesting (obviously inspired by the Heat's Vice unis)...wonder if they had to get permission to use that. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, chrome14 said:

It seems that they have decided to switch the facemask for this set from black to chrome orange. I'll reserve all final opinions until I see the product, but as of right now I liked the black a bit more. Still think that this is the best black alternate Adidas unveiled this year.

2 hours ago, TGroce said:

And Carolina will counter Miami with white-white-navy... not really a recognizable match-up

If there was any game to go Carolina Blue/White/Carolina Blue, it would be this one. There is nothing wrong with this combo, but I would think the Tar Heels would want to emphasize their trademark color against an all black uniform.

• Like 3

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

2 hours ago, TGroce said:

And Carolina will counter Miami with white-white-navy... not really a recognizable match-up

Surprised they didn't go all-white since so many teams still think all-black vs. all-white is a really cool and interesting look.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2020 at 2:45 PM, guest23 said:

It depends on how you measure and how you define the scope of the brand. If we keep it to athletics and domestic recognition then I would agree with you. If you include the entire university and global name recognition you will get a very different outcome. I can't remember where I read/heard it but ucla is ranked as one of the top collegiate brands globally and their recognition in asia is huge. So while alumni base and athletic success are top factors stateside, marketers are always searching for that incremental revenue where jordan/ucla branded merch may be an international sales bonanza.

Of course, if you're going global recognition, Stanford and Berkeley are easily the biggest brands in the Pac 12. And Northwestern and Duke are without question the biggest brands in the B1G and ACC. These schools struggle to compete with schools Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, UChicago, and NYU for global brand recognition. That's primarily because very few outside of the US except US expats care about college athletics. And I doubt international merchandise sales drive much value.

Based on my experience in Asia (China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Korea), I wouldn't characterize UCLA's recognition as huge. It's a known school, but just within the Pac 12, UCLA is definitely behind Stanford and Berkeley, and probably behind USC as well. Heck, in Chinese, UCLA's name is "California University, Los Angeles Branch," making the school seem like some branch school, inferior or subordinate in some way. (For the record, in Chinese just as in English, Berkeley is usually known as Berkeley. Or sometimes you here people call it "California University," the equivalent of Cal I suppose.)

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

1 hour ago, Mingjai said:

Of course, if you're going global recognition, Stanford and Berkeley are easily the biggest brands in the Pac 12. And Northwestern and Duke are without question the biggest brands in the B1G and ACC. These schools struggle to compete with schools Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, UChicago, and NYU for global brand recognition. That's primarily because very few outside of the US except US expats care about college athletics. And I doubt international merchandise sales drive much value.

Based on my experience in Asia (China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Korea), I wouldn't characterize UCLA's recognition as huge. It's a known school, but just within the Pac 12, UCLA is definitely behind Stanford and Berkeley, and probably behind USC as well. Heck, in Chinese, UCLA's name is "California University, Los Angeles Branch," making the school seem like some branch school, inferior or subordinate in some way. (For the record, in Chinese just as in English, Berkeley is usually known as Berkeley. Or sometimes you here people call it "California University," the equivalent of Cal I suppose.)

Well technically it is the los angeles branch of the university of california system so that is a very accurate translation. Brand recognition is highly subjective and my ucla centric anecdote was likely publicized from the school themselves via the latimes or some other online source where they paid for their own research/ranking and obtained a favorable ranking. 

• Like 2

Michigan State To Wear “Gruff Sparty” Helmet Against Penn State

December 10, 2020 - 22:51 PM

The Michigan State football program will wear green helmets with a retro “Gruff Sparty” logo on both sides this Saturday against Penn State (3:30 p.m. ET on ABC). The “Gruff Sparty” logo was used by the Spartans’ basketball team during the 1977-79 seasons, though its origins in East Lansing trace

Read More...

4 hours ago, guest23 said:

Well technically it is the los angeles branch of the university of california system so that is a very accurate translation. Brand recognition is highly subjective and my ucla centric anecdote was likely publicized from the school themselves via the latimes or some other online source where they paid for their own research/ranking and obtained a favorable ranking. 

Right, but by translating it as "branch" as opposed to "campus" creates the perception is that it's the subordinate branch to the University of California, which rightly or wrongly everyone perceives as Berkeley.

3 hours ago, Mingjai said:

Right, but by translating it as "branch" as opposed to "campus" creates the perception is that it's the subordinate branch to the University of California, which rightly or wrongly everyone perceives as Berkeley.

While it may not translate well on the other side of the pacific rim, I do love me some college rivalry jokes between the original land grant institutions and their satellite agriculture campus siblings that grew up to be big universities looking for some damn respect. Or in extreme cases, I once heard a trucking school in idaho became a full accredited college by some stroke of luck.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, guest23 said:

While it may not translate well on the other side of the pacific rim, I do love me some college rivalry jokes between the original land grant institutions and their satellite agriculture campus siblings that grew up to be big universities looking for some damn respect. Or in extreme cases, I once heard a trucking school in idaho became a full accredited college by some stroke of luck.

Go Broncos...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SportsLogos.Net News said:

Michigan State To Wear “Gruff Sparty” Helmet Against Penn State

December 10, 2020 - 22:51 PM

The Michigan State football program will wear green helmets with a retro “Gruff Sparty” logo on both sides this Saturday against Penn State (3:30 p.m. ET on ABC). The “Gruff Sparty” logo was used by the Spartans’ basketball team during the 1977-79 seasons, though its origins in East Lansing trace

Read More...

back in the 80s my old high school used this sparty (gasp we were the trojans, no one studied history) 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

3 hours ago, lahaye7 said:

back in the 80s my old high school used this sparty (gasp we were the trojans, no one studied history) 

To be fair, there were teams called the Spartans that probably wore the USC helmet logo too. 

• Like 5

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

22 hours ago, Mingjai said:

I don’t think what you’re saying is wrong. But, when it comes to athletic suppliers “brands” are slightly different IMO. Northwestern is a great example because it is a huge globally recognized university but does that translate to sales of Under Armour gear with the purple N? I highly doubt that Northwestern is outselling Ohio State and Michigan, and I would also imagine that the maize M is globally far more recognized than the purple N.

Cal is another interesting one because I think they’re branding is really disjointed compared to a UCLA or USC. The academic Berkeley brand is huge, probably one of the largest in the world but is that pushing people to buy Cal gear? Idk, maybe. 

I'm certainly not an expert in this and a lot of what I’m saying is based off of my own perceptions and biases. However, I am considering what Jordan, Nike, UA are doing and what brands they seem to value most in forming these opinions.

• Like 2

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

2 hours ago, JTernup said:

I don’t think what you’re saying is wrong. But, when it comes to athletic suppliers “brands” are slightly different IMO. Northwestern is a great example because it is a huge globally recognized university but does that translate to sales of Under Armour gear with the purple N? I highly doubt that Northwestern is outselling Ohio State and Michigan, and I would also imagine that the maize M is globally far more recognized than the purple N.

Cal is another interesting one because I think they’re branding is really disjointed compared to a UCLA or USC. The academic Berkeley brand is huge, probably one of the largest in the world but is that pushing people to buy Cal gear? Idk, maybe. 

I'm certainly not an expert in this and a lot of what I’m saying is based off of my own perceptions and biases. However, I am considering what Jordan, Nike, UA are doing and what brands they seem to value most in forming these opinions.

I think the comments initially veered as to why jordan would be branded with schools like ucla and michigan, considering jordan looks to pair with elite programs and both examples have had relatively mediocre athletic success over the last two decades. You could easily make the argument that there are more deserving programs that have a domestic better athletic brand. A counterpoint would be that if you did a holistic brand valuation that included academics, alumni reach, international sales potential etc. both examples see a large rise in brand value in terms of monetization. I think what separates these two from say stanford or northwestern is that they are very large public institutions, hence a larger alumni base to sell to.

3 hours ago, JTernup said:

Cal is especially weird in that there's almost zero connection between the Berkeley academic brand and the Cal athletic brand. It's perhaps the most extreme case I can think of in all of college sports. I could maybe tell a California resident that I went to "Cal" and they'll know I went to the University of California, Berkeley, but for most people, I have to say that I went to "Berkeley." I never hear "Cal" used to refer to the academic institution and I never hear "Berkeley" or "UC Berkeley" alone used to refer to the athletics. "Cal-Berkeley" gets used occasionally by sportscasters or recruits, but this unofficial name has been discouraged by both the university and athletic department. I've talked to many people who don't even realize that Cal and Berkeley are the same thing.

Anyway, even though Berkeley has a great academic reputation, I absolutely don't see that translating into Cal athletic brand recognition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radchad said:

Cal is especially weird in that there's almost zero connection between the Berkeley academic brand and the Cal athletic brand. It's perhaps the most extreme case I can think of in all of college sports. I could maybe tell a California resident that I went to "Cal" and they'll know I went to the University of California, Berkeley, but for most people, I have to say that I went to "Berkeley." I never hear "Cal" used to refer to the academic institution and I never hear "Berkeley" or "UC Berkeley" alone used to refer to the athletics. "Cal-Berkeley" gets used occasionally by sportscasters or recruits, but this unofficial name has been discouraged by both the university and athletic department. I've talked to many people who don't even realize that Cal and Berkeley are the same thing.

Anyway, even though Berkeley has a great academic reputation, I absolutely don't see that translating into Cal athletic brand recognition.

Blame the damn tree squatting hippies and their anti-jock and sportsball hating biases for disavowing themselves from the athletic department. Anecdotally from what various alumni I have met through friends/family have told me is that the athletes are not held in very high regard at the school due to significant relaxation of admission standards. I know this occurs at most schools but it seems more pronounced at cal-berkeley.

• Like 2