2020 MLB Season

Dynasty

I'm almost more disappointed in the Padres manager for that. It was 10-3 and the Rangers had 6 outs left. A 7 run comeback is unlikely, but we've all seen teams blow a lead like that more than a few times. The Padres should play the game the way it's written and play to add as many runs as they can. If a guy is facing a 3-0 count with the bases loaded that isn't his problem. 

The real controversy is throwing at the next batter. When's that bullshirt going to end? I thought Clint Hurdle retired/got fired? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Rangers want the Padres to essentially give up, then just end the game. I don't think the Rangers were going to take a 3-0 pitch their next time at-bat.

I have no problem with sportsmanship and not running up the score, but I think a lot of these rules should apply to amateurs and children where the gap in talent level can be quite large. But these are arguably the top 1% of baseball players in the world. If you don't want to get embarrassed out there, then play better.

I really hate that these kinda things devolve into some sort of commentary about millennials, considering these "rules" have been around since before most millennials parents were born

"The beauty of baseball is that there is no clock; it's never over until it's over."

Nobody's going to harass the Rangers for trying to score in that situation.  Imagine if they come back and win 11-10 and Tatis and his manager know they essentially packed in in the 8th.  There's no point in the game at which one team gets to try and the other does not, since one out of every (whatever...100?) times, that would result in the wrong team winning. It's not the same as skipping the victory formation up three touchdowns with 00:01 on the clock and throwing a bomb.

I wish the Rangers would have scored eight or so runs in those last two innings...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

"The beauty of baseball is that there is no clock; it's never over until it's over."

Nobody's going to harass the Rangers for trying to score in that situation.  Imagine if they come back and win 11-10 and Tatis and his manager know they essentially packed in in the 8th.  There's no point in the game at which one team gets to try and the other does not, since one out of every (whatever...100?) times, that would result in the wrong team winning. It's not the same as skipping the victory formation up three touchdowns with 00:01 on the clock and throwing a bomb.

I wish the Rangers would have scored eight or so runs in those last two innings...

As baseball traditionalist as I am, i'll never be on board with this unwritten rule. I'll never fault a team for scoring as many runs as they can or for a batter bunting to break up a no-hitter, no matter the score. You're trying to beat them, and they're trying to not let you beat them. Anything can happen at any time.

The worst situation was a couple years ago when the Twins were up 7-0 on the Orioles in the 9th inning, and they, the Twins, shifted on Chase Sisco, who then bunted for a hit. Dozier and other Twins players criticized him for doing so, saying he violated an unwritten rule. 🤨 THEY shifted, up 7-0, and HE broke the unwritten rule for not hitting it where they were positioned? They were basically saying, "you have to lay down and accept defeat or you're the bad guy".

15 minutes ago, McCall said:

As baseball traditionalist as I am, i'll never be on board with this unwritten rule. I'll never fault a team for scoring as many runs as they can or for a batter bunting to break up a no-hitter, no matter the score. You're trying to beat them, and they're trying to not let you beat them. Anything can happen at any time.

The worst situation was a couple years ago when the Twins were up 7-0 on the Orioles in the 9th inning, and they, the Twins, shifted on a Chase Sisco, who then bunted for a hit. Dozier and other Twins players criticized him for doing so, saying he violated an unwritten rule. 🤨 THEY shifted, up 7-0, and HE broke the unwritten rule for not hitting it where they were positioned? They were basically saying, "you have to lay down and accept defeat or you're the bad guy".

I recall that because, as a Twins fan, I found it embarrassing.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

7 hours ago, Sport said:

I'm almost more disappointed in the Padres manager for that. It was 10-3 and the Rangers had 6 outs left. A 7 run comeback is unlikely, but we've all seen teams blow a lead like that more than a few times. The Padres should play the game the way it's written and play to add as many runs as they can. If a guy is facing a 3-0 count with the bases loaded that isn't his problem. 

The real controversy is throwing at the next batter. When's that bullshirt going to end? I thought Clint Hurdle retired/got fired? 

I saw this on Twitter and agree 100% — if both managers think a player shouldn’t be swinging, there should be a run rule and the game should be over. Of course there shouldn’t be a run rule, but it’d be less laughable than this.

I also think most of baseball culture around 3-0 counts is stupid, at least at the higher levels of the game. When we want our high school kids to take 3-0, it’s because (1) most high school pitchers who get down 3-0 aren’t going to turn it around and (2) to run up the starter’s pitch count, because whoever they’re going to bring in after him isn’t as good.

Neither of those things are really true at the major league level! Most major league pitchers who get down 3-0 are just missing pitches, and they’re generally effective at making good pitches that can beat the hitter at 3-1 and 3-2. Why should you pass up a :censored:-shot fastball just because it’s 3-0? It’s dumb. If a pitcher wants to throw my best hitter a batting practice fastball, absolutely, I want him swinging.

6fQjS3M.png

1 hour ago, _J_ said:

3-0 count there should, honestly, be only two options. Take the pitch or make sure that you have a 100% chance of getting a hit.

Isn't that just the usual 3-0 strategy?  The only time I can think of that it'd be different is if it's late in the game and there's RISP and two outs and either a pitcher or a terrible hitter up next, you might want to foul off an iffy 3-0 pitch just to get a better shot of getting a ball to hit on either 3-1 or 3-2.  You obviously don't want the pitcher leading off the next inning, but you also need to take advantage of that opportunity - especially if 9th innning.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Um, bye, Thom Brennaman? If you don't know - check Twitter. I'm not interested in posting what he said.

I don't want to make light of what he said because it's disgusting, but him calling a home run mid-apology and then just going right on with the apology is pretty hilarious.  Good riddance to him.

IUe6Hvh.png

Let me make this very clear - Thom Brennaman is not like some revered local personality in Cincinnati. He’s a blowhard nepotism hire who’s resisted educating himself on advanced metrics (openly scoffing at them many times), gets details wrong constantly, and isn’t even a good broadcaster when he’s not ruining his career. Just last week I said to my wife “he just feels the need to editorialize every player’s actions on the field. Just call the :censored:ing game.” I also hated his habit of calling outs before the players have actually been completed the play. I know it’s a routine groundball, but at least allow the viewers the idea that something could happen.  Every reds fan I know can’t stand the guy and a lot of us were excited to get Tommy Thrall on the radio so we finally had a non-Brennaman option to listen to while watching games. I’ve made a habit over the last few years of putting music on and watching the Reds without sound. That’s how bad tHom is. 

So it was surreal watching all that live and the home run happening in the middle of his apology is just WTF you can’t make this up timing. Then he just leaves and our creep dugout reporter takes over in the 4th inning. If he’s really done and I’m really done having to listen to Brennamans call my favorite team’s games then this is a great day. I thought we’d be stuck with Thom for another two decades at least.  

If anyone wants to hem and haw and say what he said wasn’t that bad, or a guy shouldn’t be cancelled because of one mistake - eat dirt. This isn’t one mistake. This is not even the first time he’s said something objectionable on the air this 20 game season. This is a years long pattern of casually awful things slipping out of his mouth and he’s proven who he really is multiple times. He can get lost. I hope he loses his NFL job too. 

Roger Ailes, Matt Lauer, Thom Brennaman. Who are Ohio University Bobcats I’m ashamed to share an alma mater with. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

55 minutes ago, See Red said:

I don't want to make light of what he said because it's disgusting, but him calling a home run mid-apology and then just going right on with the apology is pretty hilarious.  Good riddance to him.

Absolutely disgusted by what he said. That being said having to call a home run while apologizing is hillarious.

Whats just as funny was where the home run landed.

118282929_10103235631520800_810606316005

Signature intentionally left blank

It's funny that the guys that say that stuff always call themselves "men of faith".  Stick your faith up your ass.  Just be a good dude and don't hide behind your lousy fake god.

Also, I found this particularly amusing:

That is not who I am. It never has been. And I'd like to think maybe I could have some people ... that could back that up.

1) "That is not who I am.  It never has been?"  It literally just was who you were.

2)  "I don't hate them gays, I swear - I have tons of gay friends that will back me up".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also what is he even talking about? Kansas City? Has KC done something to rile up the homophobes?

And why would that ever be a thing you would say at any workplace, let alone a workplace that involves you speaking on air to thousands?

Why do people with such cruelty and vitriol also tend to lack sense entirely?

2 minutes ago, Digby said:

Also what is he even talking about? Kansas City? Has KC done something to rile up the homophobes?

I don't know if he was talking about KC. It was intended to be off air, so he could've been talking about any city on a completely unrelated subject.

I would suggest that he may have been referencing Blazing Saddles, but the emphasis on the slur really tells me he merely gave the inner bigot some mic time.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived