Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

30 minutes ago, Maroon&Gold said:

That I can definitely get agree with. But I feel the navy helmet is the best option for the texans and the red away numbers definitely make the away feel red dominant because numbers are usually the first thing people look at even if as a whole it might be balanced between red and navy. My ideal Texans is N/R/W/R and away would be N/W/R/N (which I can't find any pictures of)

spacer.png

Yeah if the Texans do anything it's re-designate their navy home tops to an alt and the red jerseys become their new home pair with white pants.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MattMill said:

This has me thinking. Many CR sets are just one contrast pant/sock away from being great. 

Dallas. Denver. Buffalo. Detroit. Minnesota. Rams. Chargers. Pittsburgh. TB. And now NE. All of them would benefit from not going mono every single time they wore their CR set.  For the foreseeable future, I think mono will be in for primary sets. 

This is from many years ago apparently

spacer.png

White pants. White helmet. I found this on Google images. Crazy how nice and basic that is. They really missed the mark today. 

make the striping on the jerseys match the helmet or vice versa and it would be perfect, like Schelly-era FAU unis

spacer.png

If the Texans are to distinguish themselves from the Patriots even more now than ever after New England’s uniform reveal, it would be wise to upgrade the red jerseys to primary home, re-add red pants (apparently they dropped these a while back), and roll in the CR jersey as the new navy alternate.

1 hour ago, colortv said:

I'm apparently in the minority here but the all monochrome blue for the Patriots is one of the few monochromes that works IMO:

You are but that is OK. Very few of these work but to me its worse with a light color helmet. 

Now that it appears the pants striping will match the jersey, my opinion of these is a bit better. They absolutely need silver pants. Mono-navy as the only home option will get stale very quickly.

I wish they kept their old font. This one looks like they started with the old font but tweaked the line widths to make it look more traditional. There’s definitely still hints of the old font in there but it comes across as a knock-off.

The silver helmet doesn’t really go with anything now. I completely understand why they wanted to keep it, but they should have incorporated silver into the rest of the uniform if that’s the case.

On a similar point, the double number outlines significantly clash with the otherwise classic aesthetic. The silver outline is mostly harmless on the navy jersey because it blends in with the white. It looks really bad on the white jersey. I would flip those two outlines so that silver is the outermost and blends in against the white. From a distance of more than a few feet, they would appear to be navy numbers with a single red outline.

The sock stripe is cool but I would prefer they choose a sock color different from the color of the pants.

Overall, it’s a minor upgrade seeing as they stripped the clutter of the old set, but there are too many competing ideas and not much cohesion. They could have really knocked this out of the park if there was a singular focus but it’s not the success it could have been.

6 hours ago, simtek34 said:

Here's my Pros and Cons lost, since it seems like everybody else is.

PROS:

• Socks have a stripe on them

CONS:

• Monochrome for Color, Leotard on the White set

I'm not sure if you know what the leotard look is. Both the pants and the socks have stripes on them.

It's more than fine and I don't disagree that they should have an alternate color socks to them because it can be too much blue, but that's very much not leotard. Leotard is the same color socks with stripeless pants.

This is not what the Patriots are doing.

2-15-unis.jpg

It seems like there's more love for their old custom font than I anticipated -- I love the new numbers, and the double outline with them. I'm more positive on the stripes now too that it appears the pants' stripes will be consistent with the jersey.

Having monochrome as the only home look is misguided though, and (like most everyone here) I think silver pants would've really tied the look together. 

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

6 minutes ago, BeardedFool said:

What I was thinking with R/W/R throughout, like the logo.  Quick color swapping in canzman's template

3Fs370f.jpg

eZm0fB8.jpg

anjMI29.jpg

Vb3Ww45.jpg

2BevY18.jpg

Very Ole Miss-esque. Add a blue stripe next to each red stripe consistency and you are cooking with gas.

So I think the jerseys themselves are upgrades, especially when directly compared to the previous ones. But the uniforms writ large are a lateral move, due to one pair of pants and one set of socks, and not changing the helmet.

spacer.png

And someone on Reddit mocked these up. Good god, red numbers would've been perfect.

spacer.png

spacer.png

If the don't incorporate silver pants in this look it's going to be a mistake. They need to do what the sea-hawks did with their pants and have a lot of different options (Silver, white, red)

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

This picture has to be on the same level as the infamous yellow Rams jersey picture that haunts these boards. Right?

Don't know what you're talking about. Probably more comparable to that weird pic of the alligator wearing sunglasses I'm seeing everywhere...

1 minute ago, RedSox44 said:

So I think the jerseys themselves are upgrades, especially when directly compared to the previous ones. But the uniforms writ large are a lateral move, due to one pair of pants and one set of socks, and not changing the helmet.

spacer.png

I don't dislike he new numbers, but I like the old ones better. They were unique and not ugly (hard to do)

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

If the Texans are to distinguish themselves from the Patriots even more now than ever after New England’s uniform reveal, it would be wise to upgrade the red jerseys to primary home, re-add red pants (apparently they dropped these a while back), and roll in the CR jersey as the new navy alternate.

Agreed. I still like their road look as-is (red letters and navy pants), except with red socks (and apparently they haven’t worn that look since 2008, which bothers me more than it should). Just make red the primary and CR the alt, then bring back the “normal” navy blue jersey as a throwback in a few years. 

1 hour ago, mania said:

I'm not sure if you know what the leotard look is. Both the pants and the socks have stripes on them.

It's more than fine and I don't disagree that they should have an alternate color socks to them because it can be too much blue, but that's very much not leotard. Leotard is the same color socks with stripeless pants.

This is not what the Patriots are doing.

Hmm, I'm not sure if you think there's some official dictionary that defines what is and isn't "leotard look", but if there is I've never seen it.  The term "leotard look" has been tossed around on this website for as many years as I've been posting here, and it's been equally used on teams with striped pants and without. It's true, I would agree that the look is even worse when the pants have no stripe, but as long as the top of the socks is the same color as the pants, and it all blends together into one long shape, someone on here will post about how much they hate the leotard look.  

And I will read that post, and nod my head in agreement.

14 hours ago, RedSox44 said:

spacer.png

This is a great image. It shows exactly my one complaint with the jersey. The stripes and the numbers are competing. The middle and right, they complement each other. I prefer the middle though 

That's just such a bad template to use for shoulder stripes.  I get that older designs have been shoehorned onto modern templates, but I can't understand why someone would want to go out of their way to create that cut-off mess from scratch.

Also, the numbers really bother me now.  The extra outline is killing it for me.

These don't look like a cohesive uniform.  The helmet, numbers, sleeves, and to a lesser extent pants, all look like they were ordered from a different vendor.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived