NFL 2020

FormerLurker

I can't believe how much some of you out there like the navy jersey for the Broncos. IMO, it is so drab. I get wanting to keep navy instead of royal but in what world is navy better than orange? Especially since they are the only team who's home jersey is orange.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, JayMac said:

I can't believe how much some of you out there like the navy jersey for the Broncos. IMO, it is so drab. I get wanting to keep navy instead of royal but in what world is navy better than orange? Especially since they are the only team who's home jersey is orange.

I agree the Broncos need to be wearing an orange jersey. The problem is the current uniform. It was so obviously designed to be navy dominant, the orange jersey just looks a little out of place to me. But, as you say, the Broncos are an orange team. That's why I'd prefer to see them bring back the brighter blue, and redesign with an eye towards the 80s look.

2 hours ago, JayMac said:

The stripe coming out of the armpits looks worse on the orange jerseys than the other two imo

13 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I agree the Broncos need to be wearing an orange jersey. The problem is the current uniform. It was so obviously designed to be navy dominant, the orange jersey just looks a little out of place to me. But, as you say, the Broncos are an orange team. That's why I'd prefer to see them bring back the brighter blue, and redesign with an eye towards the 80s look.

Agreed. There is something about the Orange dominant/Navy accent look that is off balance. The navy is dark enough to create contrast but not dark enough to be striking. It comes off as blah. Whereas the lighter 80's blue pops to the front more and gives a sense of balance and vibrancy that makes the orange more palatable as the dominant color.

Regarding side panels, I know this is the worst uniform in the club’s history, but I didn’t hate this particular combo.

spacer.png

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

12 minutes ago, Chawls said:

Regarding side panels, I know this is the worst uniform in the club’s history, but I didn’t hate this particular combo.

spacer.png

If anything, this combo highlights why this was the worst uniform in the Reebok era. There’s no consistency. 
You can talk about teams having too much piping but at least the uniforms were consistent. This was just “fill in the blanks”. 
Oh god, this gets worse the more I look at it. The side panels don’t even match with the pants stripes. The numbers don’t match the navy. How did this last 9 seasons?

XM4KeeA.png

1 hour ago, insert name said:

If anything, this combo highlights why this was the worst uniform in the Reebok era. There’s no consistency. 
You can talk about teams having too much piping but at least the uniforms were consistent. This was just “fill in the blanks”. 
Oh god, this gets worse the more I look at it. The side panels don’t even match with the pants stripes. The numbers don’t match the navy. How did this last 9 seasons?

A legitimate argument could be made that for a handful of years Buffalo as a city had the worst uniforms in two separate pro leagues. Quite an accomplishment

6 hours ago, Chawls said:

spacer.png

Worst jersey in NFL history, I had the privilege of watching the Vikings lose that game in OT at the Metrodome.

On 12/5/2020 at 9:31 AM, JayMac said:

Only after much fan outcry--after their orange alternate jersey was unveiled--did the Broncos revert to using orange as their primary homes. That said, as OSV posted, that '96 redux was so obviously designed to be navy-dominant. I remember really liking those when they were brand new; the orange side yoke things brought a large amount of contrast, and on their own, I think that's why they worked so well. 

My issue with the whole set was that they made the side yokes navy on the roads--that lost all semblance of orange right there. They should have kept them orange and added a navy pair of pants to go along with them--why they didn't ultimately decide on that is beyond me.  But now that they're using orange as their primary, the uniform just doesn't feel right. (And it may just be me, but does their particular orange seem lighter or more faded out in recent years to anyone else?)  Of course, I had the same issue with the Titans during the few years they designated their light blue jerseys as primaries until they came to their senses and swapped back to navy as primary.

On 12/5/2020 at 10:26 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm kinda right there with this; I just don't know how light they should go with the royal. And if they're going to pull from the past, I think the 60s would be the way to go (or whatever timeframe they had the contrasted sleeves). Since Nike loves playing with sleeve caps, it'd be right up their alley...

11 hours ago, joekono said:

I'll never forgive the Broncos for starting this s$%t!!!

New uniforms for a new era – Denver Broncos History

But what exactly do the Broncos do from here? Part of the problem of hitching your wagon to "always being on the cutting edge" (this is moreso for the heads at Beaverton than the Broncos themselves) is that when you arrive at this point in time, 24 years after you've designed what may as well be a modern classic at this point, its hard to gauge how to evolve forward without running off the rails. (See Browns, Cleveland; Buccaneers, Tampa Bay circa 2013 and Titans, Tennessee at present for what can happen with stuff like that.) Its become all too familiar--and quite frankly, too much of a cop-out--to straight adapt a past look. That said, I'm sure there's a tasteful way to do so, if longevity is on the Broncos' minds, to do so. But at this point I don't even know what that is.

I do know one thing, though: their next uniform life should definitely be designed with orange primaries in mind...

9 hours ago, Chawls said:

spacer.png

Meanwhile I'm looking at this dude in the wrong uniform and thinking it should go into that thread if it still exists around here. (Side note, but man did Drew Bledsoe catch the short end of the stick over his career. Always felt for dude because of that.)

The question I always had about these jawns here was this: were they specifically designed to mimic the CFL aesthetic at the time? I'd have to go back and look, but I'm almost certain the Montreal Alouettes had a uniform that looked almost exactly like this about that timeframe. And of course, with Buffalo at that time looking to appeal to their brethren across the Falls there (particularly the Toronto market), I was just always curious about. Heck I still am, even though those threads are (thankfully) gone.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Something is off about the cut of the new jerseys for the Pats and Chargers. It looks like the shoulders are too wide, pushing the design too far to the outside. The result is a baggy shoulder cap, and it makes the players look like they have very odd shoulders.

Chargers LB Kenneth Murray returns to starting role after brief benching –  Orange County RegisterAs Patriots return to practice, Jason McCourty details 'frustrating' couple  of weeks amid positive COVID-19 cases

It's more obvious on TV, but I think these pictures show it.

6 hours ago, Buc said:

The question I always had about these jawns here was this: were they specifically designed to mimic the CFL aesthetic at the time? I'd have to go back and look, but I'm almost certain the Montreal Alouettes had a uniform that looked almost exactly like this about that timeframe. And of course, with Buffalo at that time looking to appeal to their brethren across the Falls there (particularly the Toronto market), I was just always curious about. Heck I still am, even though those threads are (thankfully) gone.

This was from their website (https://en.montrealalouettes.com/all-time-uniforms/)

spacer.png

16 hours ago, Buc said:

The question I always had about these jawns here was this: were they specifically designed to mimic the CFL aesthetic at the time? I'd have to go back and look, but I'm almost certain the Montreal Alouettes had a uniform that looked almost exactly like this about that timeframe. And of course, with Buffalo at that time looking to appeal to their brethren across the Falls there (particularly the Toronto market), I was just always curious about.

If Buffalo wanted their new uniforms to appeal to the Toronto market, why would they copy... Montreal?

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

If Buffalo wanted their new uniforms to appeal to the Toronto market, why would they copy... Montreal?

And also, where did they get access to a time machine so they could "copy" the uniform of a team that wouldn't even exist for 10 years after they designed those uniforms?

22 hours ago, Buc said:

If they were trying to emulate anything, my guess is that it was hockey, not the CFL. Those yokes wouldn't look out of place on a hockey sweater, even though they're a bit strange on a football jersey.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived