NFL 2020

FormerLurker

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are too negative about ads.  As soon as I'm the CEO of a wildly successful company I'll offer an inordinate amount of money for specific ad space: I'll be putting pant and sock stripes on teams that previously had leotard looks.  

2 hours ago, darkhaha said:

Even without ad patches, the NFL currently looks worse overall than it ever has, IMHO.

Some teams sure do.  

But some of the teams that look good look really good nowadays, especially since they’ve moved away from the Frankenstein’s Monster shoulder pads. 

spacer.png

almost enough to offset the disappearing sleeves. 

8 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Well if you don't notice those gigantic CFL jersey ads I don't know what to say haha. I guess some people just won't put up a fight until the ad is the size of a soccer jersey sponsor.

Riders QB Cody Fajardo uses catch-phrase to talk about Catholic faith
I wouldn't consider these gigantic but maybe it's just because I've seen it my whole life. It still is not the end of the world like some people make it out to be

yUTIIqk.png

12 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

CFL did those wacky jerseys too.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The other CFL (the real one, some would say and rightfully so), did this just a few years ago, as well:

06873734.jpg

emry-screenshot-1408567388.jpg

logan_stefan1280.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

20 hours ago, Wackyriderfan14 said:

Riders QB Cody Fajardo uses catch-phrase to talk about Catholic faith
I wouldn't consider these gigantic but maybe it's just because I've seen it my whole life. It still is not the end of the world like some people make it out to be

Yeah, but it still sucks. Not everything has to be bought and sold to the highest bidder. Our society is moving closer to just pure greed and grift.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

On 11/29/2020 at 5:12 PM, darkhaha said:

Even without ad patches, the NFL currently looks worse overall than it ever has, IMHO.

All of the piping, side panels, and other weird crap that Reebok gave teams in the 2000s was 10x worse than what 2020 NFL looks like. The main sin of the NFL is that some extremely terrible looks from that era haven't been changed (Broncos, Bengals, Cardinals)

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

6 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

All of the piping, side panels, and other weird crap that Reebok gave teams in the 2000s was 10x worse than what 2020 NFL looks like. The main sin of the NFL is that some extremely terrible looks from that era haven't been changed (Broncos, Bengals, Cardinals)

The league looked way worse in the Nike era when you consider the Bucs and Browns, then they got swapped out for the Rams and Falcons.

Ultimately it's the teams that should be blamed, but let's not pretend that Reebok and Nike aren't basically the same - just that one likes flat fabrics and figured out how to make seamless :censored:s.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, SumanCommaJake said:

Looks like at least a few of the Seahawks (Metcalf, Bobby Wagner, Jamal Adams) are wearing a version of the vapor fusion template tonight. This is the first time I’ve seen the template worn in game.

From a distance it doesn't look too bad. I just dont like how many seams there are. The current template is practically perfect as far as how clean it is with lack of seams. 

seattle-seahawks-wide-receiver-dk-metcalf-carries-the-ball-on-a-in-picture-id1229881639?s=2048x2048

50668241987_8e6c9fb94b_h.jpg

7 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

That Broncos set, of course, is actually a Nike design circa 1997. So if we really want to trace back the roots of this design era, you could perhaps claim Nike inspired Reebok to do some terrible things. 

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

That Broncos set, of course, is actually a Nike design circa 1997. So if we really want to trace back the roots of this design era, you could perhaps claim Nike inspired Reebok to do some terrible things. 

Might be an unpopular opinion but the broncos redesign is a modern classic and the reason why it has lasted so long is that it's not particularly busy like the reebok imitations.

As a Broncos fan who’s grown up with the current uniforms, I’m undoubtedly biased, but I really don’t understand the hate. I get it if you don’t like them, and hoping for a return to a modern version of the classic set is something I can get behind as well, but to put the current uniforms on the level of Cincinnati, Arizona, and others of that era? Nah. Maybe side panels aren’t your thing, I get that, but at worst the uniforms are mid-tier. The number font is pretty good, the helmet is amazing, and they don’t force random piping (Arizona), weird mascot-inspired features (Cincinnati), or yokes (both of the previously mentioned) into places they shouldn’t be. The panels may not be your favorite design choice, but Denver hasn’t tried mixing non-matching panels (like white over blue) and the panels are actually fairly simple in terms of design. In all honesty, I’m fine keeping them as-is for the foreseeable future.

But then again, this is all just my opinion and doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things. 

46 minutes ago, jn8 said:

I get it if you don’t like them, and hoping for a return to a modern version of the classic set is something I can get behind as well, but to put the current uniforms on the level of Cincinnati, Arizona, and others of that era? Nah.

I do not like them, and I would love to see a return to the old classic uniforms they ditched for this set, but I would in fact put the current Broncos uniforms down with Arizona and Cincinnati. They were never good and have just gotten more and more stale over time.

First, of course, they ripped off the Bears' colors when their royal blue worked just fine. In fact, they may be the originators of the navy trend that made the NFL so hard to look at for 20 years, and if so they have a lot to answer for.

The number font is pretty good

No, it is not. That ugly round font with the weird serifs? Yeah, not good anywhere, and particularly not on a football uniform.

the helmet is amazing

The helmet is trash. The navy problem I already discussed, that weird and ugly stripe, and the way they threw out the wonderful "D" logo for an oblong monstrosity (seriously, oblong logos like the Patriots or the Broncos are ugly and bad design unless they fit the shape of the helmet like the Green Bay G or the Chargers' bolt) all put the helmet down as one of the worst in the league.

they don’t force random piping (Arizona), weird mascot-inspired features (Cincinnati), or yokes (both of the previously mentioned) into places they shouldn’t be.

Just because a uniform doesn't have piping or tiger stripes or yokes doesn't automatically make it good. The Broncos look like the Nike logo with those side panels and always have. Which of course is how they were designed to look by Nike. They're a giant ad!

Burn it and throw it back to the previous set, or even the set before that which I think I actually like even better if we could only bring the sleeves back.spacer.png

Eh, they won three Super Bowls in their “modern” set (losing one) and lost four Super Bowls in humiliating fashion in the “classic” set. The Broncos should never change uniforms again, as they have a top-ten design that’s aged better than all of its imitators.

On 11/29/2020 at 1:41 PM, chcarlson23 said:

I really wish that soccer jerseys could have evolved to have larger chest logos like hockey, rather than badges, leading to all that open space which is now used for advertising...

That also makes me think of those few wacky football jerseys that had the logos on the front, and front numbers. Was that the CFL?

Far as soccer goes, the only current outdoor team I'm aware of that has a large chest logo is Pumas UNAM from Mexico.  A bunch of MLS teams did that early on before replacing them with wordmarks, and large logos used to be an indoor soccer stable.  As an example, the Milwaukee Wave had a sponsor on the front several years back with a small crest.  Looked soccer-ish, true, but (I know this sounds odd) didn't look like the Wave.  That says something when the current threads feel more like they fit the Wave aesthetic despite virtually dropping blue from the color scheme.  I'd like to see the late 90s blue and black stripes make a comeback, but I don't exactly have the money to buy even a youth team 🤑

As previously mentioned, the World League did it, leaguewide in 95 and 96 (97 saw toned down versions for the 5 teams that stuck with it, while the Monarchs updated their 91-92 look), some of the American CFL teams (and the Argos) did it...but the Arena League did not.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived