NFL 2020

FormerLurker

The thing I hate about the Broncos helmet is the navy blue outline/keyline(?) around the logo. It really looks bad on a navy helmet. The decal should just be clear with orange and white coloring. Let the helmet's base color do the job instead of creating a metallic/vinyl mismatch. 

NFLPA advises against players working out together on their own | 9news.com

I grew up with the  80s/early90s look, and it'll always be my favorite for them, but the current unis are pretty good, and definitely not in the bottom tier. The navy jerseys always look better in cold weather games...that'd be my one rule...save that alternate for a late-season home game.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Broncos have the opportunity to establish a real legacy with their current set which I believe plays a major part in the respectability of a uniform. They have already won 3 Super Bowls in the current uniform (the first two of which came immediately after they made the switch), made another appearance (which respected the tradition of Denver getting horribly embarrassed), and consider the HoFers who will always be associated with these uniforms. Add another decade to Denver's uniforms and they'll have worn them for longer than they did the Orange Crush look, and they will likely be the last holdover of the late 90s-mid 00s redesigns once Arizona and Cincinnati make changes, making them unique.

I would like them to use the OC throwback look as their regular alternate, hopefully with a light blue helmet if the one-helmet restriction is ever lifted. They put the former D logo in the endzones this year and I think embracing both identities is a smart choice. The brown and yellow 1960 throwback is also quite nice for the occasional game.

8 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

Yeah, this Denver set is probably the best football uniform out there with side panels.

For me, it's still these - but only when worn correctly:

RrsBmNn.jpg

Gp8UhIj.jpg

That's one thing the Broncos have always done right compared to other teams with side panels - making sure the stripe is always consistent from the jersey to the pants.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

19 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

From a distance it doesn't look too bad. I just dont like how many seams there are. The current template is practically perfect as far as how clean it is with lack of seams. 

seattle-seahawks-wide-receiver-dk-metcalf-carries-the-ball-on-a-in-picture-id1229881639?s=2048x2048

50668241987_8e6c9fb94b_h.jpg

I agree that the current vapour untouchable is the cleanest of all time. Uniforms look very good in it. i'm curious to see how the new one translates on game issued and retail jerseys tho, i hope they don't mess it up cause rn also retail jerseys (limited&authentic) are REALLY good

2 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

These Vikings jerseys were terrible. The only way to wear them correctly is by not wearing them. It's everything wrong with the Reebok era summed up in 1 uniform. 

I know it's an extremely unpopular opinion, but I really did like that look. The colors always popped on the field and I appreciated how the striping echoed the contours of the horn. Plus, for the first time since the '60s, their road jerseys actually matched their home jerseys.

xLmjWVv.png

The only jersey with side panels that worked was the early '00s Rams with the gold panels, because their pants were a beautiful shiny gold so there was no mismatch.  I actually liked those jerseys better with the panels than without, though it was a perfect uniform either way.

I'm old enough to vividly remember the Broncos unveiling (I was in college and ESPN actually showed a clip of it) and thought they looked like clown suits back then, then every high school team ripped it off, then they were no longer 'innovative' and were just 'old' despite being 'new'.  

While the helmet logo itself is well done, the helmet overall is not, due to the bizarre striping.  I understand why it has to come to a point in the front, but the better solution would be to just forgo the striping altogether.  

The side panels are a joke, as evident when older (or "mature" lol) players like Elway and Manning wore them - they looked like dopes.  The number font might be cool for some applications, but a football uniform is not one.

The helmet logo is the only thing I think can be salvaged from this mess, but I think a full reset to a more traditional look needs to occur - and if that means losing that logo, then so be it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

30 minutes ago, BBTV said:

The only jersey with side panels that worked was the early '00s Rams with the gold panels, because their pants were a beautiful shiny gold so there was no mismatch.  I actually liked those jerseys better with the panels than without, though it was a perfect uniform either way.

I'm old enough to vividly remember the Broncos unveiling (I was in college and ESPN actually showed a clip of it) and thought they looked like clown suits back then, then every high school team ripped it off, then they were no longer 'innovative' and were just 'old' despite being 'new'.  

While the helmet logo itself is well done, the helmet overall is not, due to the bizarre striping.  I understand why it has to come to a point in the front, but the better solution would be to just forgo the striping altogether.  

The side panels are a joke, as evident when older (or "mature" lol) players like Elway and Manning wore them - they looked like dopes.  The number font might be cool for some applications, but a football uniform is not one.

The helmet logo is the only thing I think can be salvaged from this mess, but I think a full reset to a more traditional look needs to occur - and if that means losing that logo, then so be it.

I'm with you... let's just hope they don't redo the bronco logo and make the nose look like the male genitalia like another team we know.

I'm not sure that I even love their throwbacks to be honest. 

In regards to the helmet logo, I just tend not to like any of the swooshy helmet decals like the broncos, pats, panthers, jags. I get that they are supposed to follow the contours of the helmet, but it's been overdone now. 

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I know it's an extremely unpopular opinion, but I really did like that look. The colors always popped on the field and I appreciated how the striping echoed the contours of the horn. Plus, for the first time since the '60s, their road jerseys actually matched their home jerseys.

I always looked at that as one of the defining quirks of the team. It never bothered me. Same with the old St. Louis Cardinals, who I thought had perfect uniforms before the white ones were ruined with the move to Phoenix by forcing the Arizona flag onto the shoulder stripes.

I just view it as one of those sports anachronisms, like the Steelers having a logo on only one side of the helmet, that exists solely because that's how it's always been. 

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

The weird thing about those side panels were that they were specifically designed to accomodate a set of white pants that the Rams only ended up wearing once - in the 2001 preseason against the Chargers:

spacer.png

I can only assume they were removed because the team decided that those pants were never coming out of mothballs again, so no use keeping the matching jersey stripes either.

xLmjWVv.png

6 hours ago, BBTV said:

I completely agree. Love the new logo, hate the new uniform. I disagree about the helmet though, I actually like the striping. I also like the number font. The perfect Broncos set in my eyes would be to take their current uniform, remove side panels, change all navy to their old shade of blue, and mimic the sleeve striping of the color rush.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

For me, I don’t really love or hate the Broncos’ current uniforms, they are kind of the definition of average to me. I actually really like the number font, and I find the logo and side panels at least serviceable. The decision to go with an orange primary home jersey was a good one.

However, I think they could look really nice if they went back to the lighter blue, implemented a modernized “D” logo, and used a sleeve cap and striping design sort of like the 60’s Broncos:

D6hcNfj.jpg

5 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I liked them at first (I was 15 when they debuted), but still thought they were a downgrade on what they replaced. But started to like them less and less as the years went on, especially when you compared them to the beautiful throwbacks they would also wore as an alt at the time. Then the Nike version with the neck roll collar was even worse thank god those only lasted one year.

I know there's a lot of people on this forum that don't like custom fonts in general, but I love them for football uniforms. There's so little space to design that a font and the way it's outlined can really establish a brand. Not all custom fonts look good, but there are plenty that work well. Denver, Baltimore, Houston, Chicago, the old New England font. You see a number in that font and those colors and you'll immediately think of a player. No logo or stripes necessary. 

There's nothing wrong with a good block font, but if all 32 teams used roughly the same one, things get boring in a hurry.

Archived