2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

1 hour ago, Mingjai said:

Why? Nike seems to do fine with their NCAA teams. I think they would do okay outfitting the NHL.

You mean aside from the incomplete sleeve stripes, weird collars with the fake rubber laces, the shoulder numbers, whatever the hell is going on with Ohio State's weird shoulder yoke and the Spartans whole uniforms? A few teams turned out okay but there's too many uniforms that look weird in your post and you cherry picked the "best" ones. I wouldn't wanna see what you consider are the "bad" ones lmao

It would be just like when Reebok took over and half the league walked away relatively unscathed but the other half looked like garbage with front numbers, phantom yokes, incomplete stripes and piping madness. Adidas is keeping it classy and most importantly, they're not forcing any of their design elements onto teams. No "Nike speak" here, no gimmicks. The closest thing to a gimmick is the shoulder yoke golf ball texture but nobody seems to mind. I haven't heard a complain in years

1 hour ago, DTConcepts said:

This is probably why people are weary of Nike doing hockey jerseys:

15 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Just don't pay too close attention to the fact that all the teams had the same template.

This. And it's nothing new either. I love my 90s Nike hockey jerseys, but I don't wanna see their ugly and gimmicky templates anywhere near the NHL. Look at those templated monstrosities. They took every design element that everybody loves about hockey jerseys and threw them out the window, save for the big logo on the front basically

spacer.pngspacer.png

RafalskiBrian_2_2006OWG_medium.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

I remember when these were released that the NikeSpeak for the USA jerseys was that the sleeve graphic was inspired by bald eagle feathers. Just don't pay too close attention to the fact that all the teams had the same template.

In fairness this is nothing unique to Nike; every year Adidas will tout the local inspiration on any given new MLS shirt, assuming we haven't noticed it's an element recycled from the previous year's international jerseys.

• Like 5

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

5 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

This. And it's nothing new either. I love my 90s Nike hockey jerseys, but I don't wanna see their ugly and gimmicky templates anywhere near the NHL. Look at those templated monstrosities. They took every design element that everybody loves about hockey jerseys and threw them out the window, save for the big logo on the front basically

It's not really the templated thing for that specific scenario. It's more that all the teams had the same template and yet Nike said the sleeve graphic for the US was inspired by bald eagle feathers.

So since all the teams were wearing the same jersey, does all the teams jerseys were inspired by bald eagle feathers? The famous Korean symbol of the bald eagle?

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

What kind of texturing could they do with the Flyers logo?  I took a look at the new jerseys on their site but didn't see anything (unless the raised outline counts as the texture).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BBTV said:

What kind of texturing could they do with the Flyers logo?  I took a look at the new jerseys on their site but didn't see anything (unless the raised outline counts as the texture).

The raised outline counts as texture. Just shows that this is mostly just a way to stop counterfeiters. Which is dumb because they will be able to figure out how to add some embroidery very easily.

3 minutes ago, dont care said:

The raised outline counts as texture. Just shows that this is mostly just a way to stop counterfeiters. Which is dumb because they will be able to figure out how to add some embroidery very easily.

Nobody who is interested in a counterfeit jersey would care about or even notice the difference.  I hope it's not noticeable on the ice.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

This is probably why people are weary of Nike doing hockey jerseys:

Nike unveils new hockey jerseys for the 2018 Olympics

I was gonna say Nike does a good job with NCAA, but 6 months later and I'm still trying to figure out which was Syracuse's and which was Princeton's in the stands at the Women's Frozen Four (though to be fair, ESPNU's potatovision camera didn't help)

Seniors_2020_003_web.jpg?width=1024&height=576&mode=cropprinceton-tigers-2020-ecac-champions.jpg

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Over the summer, it was reported that Oilers would likely make their navy jerseys the primary.  

Oilers are wearing orange tonight and their official headshots were taken in the orange jersey, did the switch to navy get nixed?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, nlane33 said:

Over the summer, it was reported that Oilers would likely make their navy jerseys the primary.  

Oilers are wearing orange tonight and their official headshots were taken in the orange jersey, did the switch to navy get nixed?

Hopefully they did, especially since they don't have a matching white to with it (and they shall never do)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

It's not really the templated thing for that specific scenario. It's more that all the teams had the same template and yet Nike said the sleeve graphic for the US was inspired by bald eagle feathers.

So since all the teams were wearing the same jersey, does all the teams jerseys were inspired by bald eagle feathers? The famous Korean symbol of the bald eagle?

Yeah I know what you meant. Just your average nonsensical Nike speak ahah

9 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

You mean aside from the incomplete sleeve stripes, weird collars with the fake rubber laces, the shoulder numbers, whatever the hell is going on with Ohio State's weird shoulder yoke and the Spartans whole uniforms? A few teams turned out okay but there's too many uniforms that look weird in your post and you cherry picked the "best" ones. I wouldn't wanna see what you consider are the "bad" ones lmao

I wasn't exactly cherry-picking. I image searched the NCAA D1 Nike schools I knew off the top of my head (not hard as a Gopher fan, because all of the B1G except Wisconsin and Notre Dame are Nike) and then picked some illustrative images. I didn't pick what I considered the best looks, just the schools' typical looks. And yes, Ohio State clearly is the worst of the bunch, but they're not really a traditional hockey school.

My point is that because many of these schools are traditional hockey powers, they've clearly instructed Nike to give them traditional looks. Sure, there are some Nike-specific quirks, like the collars and the incomplete sleeve stripes, but those are minor compared, e.g., to Edge 1.0 or Nike Swift. And even though Nike uses templates for national teams (surely inspired by what it does for soccer national teams), schools like Minnesota, Michigan, etc., have avoided using those templates.

I didn't say every look Nike would create for the NHL teams would be good, I just said Nike would do okay. Probably no better or worse than Adidas. Sure, the Nike collar is weird. So is the Adidas collar.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I guess I sort of understand Nike's templates for international teams. Create 3-5 standard templates that federations can choose from, allow them to put in their colours and maybe add a line or two here and there then be done with it. It's cheap and makes it easy to produce is mass quantities. On top of that, with teams in the IHWC that are being promoted and relegated all the time, they also want to make sure that Tackla can produce the template as well. Canada has been the lone exception to change their template and only had this new one for the Olympics. Sweden has always been one to really rebel against the templates. In the 2006 Olympics they didn't wear the brand new Nike Swift template but then switched to the template for the world champs (which they also won). I think 2005 was the last time we really saw unique international team jerseys by Nike. USA had one of the best looking ones as did Canada. At least in the NCAA has a bit more creative freedom with the new Nike templates as they don't have to reproduce a whole lot of them as its only a few teams that are supplied by Nike. I think if Nike did get the NHL contract, we would have seen the teams with their individual identity kept.

14 hours ago, dont care said:

Yes, it's definitely a tool to help battle counterfeiters, but that doesn't mean it isn't also a nice, subtle touch that improves the logos. Most counterfeiters don't even bother to get the number fonts right, so I doubt their going to be putting money into barely noticeable embroidery.

Some of the posters on here seem to be overreacting. Unless you're getting a close up shot of a player, or you're standing 2 feet away from a jersey, you won't notice a difference.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

Some of the posters on here seem to be overreacting. Unless you're getting a close up shot of a player, or you're standing 2 feet away from a jersey, you won't notice a difference.  

Plus, like, you'd think a sports design forum and community would be all over things that enhance team designs in any way with no actual downside. 😛

• Like 5