2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

3 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

I don't think it's only for training camp. Hughes is wearing them in the NHL media day photoshoot.

spacer.png

If it was the actual team logo it would be fine, but the fact that it's a grayscale has me a bit concerned. I'm worried this could mean they're planning on introducing some sort of black & grey 'stealth' alternate like Tampa.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Coyotes wouldn't be homeless after this season? It could be quite funny if they gonna relocate one year after back to Kachina.

My guess is they hole up in the Memorial Coli while a new arena is being made in Tempe, ala the Isles holing up in Nassau while Belmont was being constructed.

Tempe wants a pro sports team there, and literally nobody else in the city needs a new place to play right now; that plus the gambling revenue and the NHL having a vested interest in the market makes a move unlikely.

If anything, I see Houston as the Western Conference Quebec; a threat to dangle over cities to get them to cooperate.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, gsn93 said:

Their original style guide from '96 has a version of the word mark without the empty space.

Speaking of wordmarks...

Coyotes' Guide to Style Resurrects White Kachina

Another result of the rebranding is a new wordmark, with two custom display typefaces, "Desert Sans" and "Desert Sans Condensed." "Desert Sans" was created to match the Coyotes' heritage look and feel. The typeface will be used to create large and confident messaging systems. "Desert Sans Condensed" works well in large sizes because of its readability. The font will be used mostly as a graphic element, because of its beautiful shapes and negative spaces. Both versions of the new wordmark can include either the full-body Kachina primary logo or the Kachina mask secondary logo.

CkRqTzF.png

• Like 3

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

18 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Yeah Ottawa really missed the mark by not having the black cuffs and black hem stripe on the white sweater.   This just feels incomplete and the color balance is off compared to the above:

VSbnpd5.png

I was talking about the logo concept. Not the stripes.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

My guess is they hole up in the Memorial Coli while a new arena is being made in Tempe, ala the Isles holing up in Nassau while Belmont was being constructed.

Tempe wants a pro sports team there, and literally nobody else in the city needs a new place to play right now; that plus the gambling revenue and the NHL having a vested interest in the market makes a move unlikely.

If anything, I see Houston as the Western Conference Quebec; a threat to dangle over cities to get them to cooperate.

Is the Suns' arena not suitable for hockey, or am I missing why they can't play downtown for a few seasons?

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

1 hour ago, MNtwins3 said:

Is the Suns' arena not suitable for hockey, or am I missing why they can't play downtown for a few seasons?

Both that and the fact that Sarver is a dickhead who wouldn't let them into Footprint even if it was suitable for an NHL tenant.

• Like 2

So I'm going out on a limb and guessing that either Peak Lou things are happening and the Islanders aren't doing a 50th anniversary logo this year (they did the 25th in 96-97 and 40th in 11-12) or they're waiting for next year to coincide with 72-73? I don't know, the lockout threw things off-kilter and this is a bit confusing, or it's just Lou saying "no we're not doing one". Either way, the Islanders bucking this stupid one year gold accented third jersey trend for 50th anniversaries is nice

Also FWIW no UBS Arena inaugural season patch either

• Like 2

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

8 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

If it was the actual team logo it would be fine, but the fact that it's a grayscale has me a bit concerned. I'm worried this could mean they're planning on introducing some sort of black & grey 'stealth' alternate like Tampa.

I hope not. Devils, this is not that hard; all you need to do for a black alternate is use your old NHL '94 away jersey:hqdefault.png

12 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

I hope not. Devils, this is not that hard; all you need to do for a black alternate is use your old NHL '94 away jersey:hqdefault.png

The Sens had the same jersey in NHL 94 and it's really just the Blackhawks RR jersey. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

The Coyotes did play there in the 90s, but that’s one of those basketball-first arenas a la Barclays where the hockey rink doesn’t quite fit and a lot of the seats can’t see the rink.

• Like 5

On 9/21/2021 at 12:15 PM, habsfan1 said:

They didn't do like other teams and clean up the logo tracing, make it sharper, and remove the excessive outlines.

I mean that's true, but most fans don't notice details like that the way people on a sports branding forum do. Senators fans, myself included, were just happy the old logo they always loved was back and the 2010s logo that was, at best, tolerable, and at worst, an eyesore, was gone along with those ugly jerseys.

Most Ottawa fans barely even realize the outline of the new logo is gold instead of red, unless you pull the logo up to their face and point at it. They don't really care about tracing or the symmetry of the laurels.

All I know is that, seemingly overnight, every Senators fan I met was rocking a new hat or something with the 2D logo again and 2010s logo just disappeared completely, hopefully never to be seen again. That's a team "getting it right" in my book.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

I have a feeling they'll work some sort of deal out with Glendale that will allow them to keep playing there for a few years while a new rink gets built in Tempe.

11 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The Sens had the same jersey in NHL 94 and it's really just the Blackhawks RR jersey. 

To be fair, the Sens almost did look like that when they first re-entered the league.

spacer.png

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

To be fair, the Sens almost did look like that when they first re-entered the league.

spacer.png

People roll their eyes at me, but I said from day 1 (of last season) that that should have been Ottawa's Reverse Retro jersey (maybe just a red version of it?) They could have had fun with it as a one-off instead of going the safe and boring route.

17 hours ago, Survival79 said:

Speaking of wordmarks...

Coyotes' Guide to Style Resurrects White Kachina

Another result of the rebranding is a new wordmark, with two custom display typefaces, "Desert Sans" and "Desert Sans Condensed." "Desert Sans" was created to match the Coyotes' heritage look and feel. The typeface will be used to create large and confident messaging systems. "Desert Sans Condensed" works well in large sizes because of its readability. The font will be used mostly as a graphic element, because of its beautiful shapes and negative spaces. Both versions of the new wordmark can include either the full-body Kachina primary logo or the Kachina mask secondary logo.

CkRqTzF.png

The Yotes need to update the shoulder patches wordmark on the Kachina jerseys for consistency.

• Like 1