2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

Ah, Sharks weight memes. Just as r/hockey and Twitter have replaced HFBoards as the gen-pop of online hockey discussion, the Hurricanes have replaced the Sharks as the team whose fanbase is 2,000 miles up its own ass over how clever and sophisticated they are. The world spins madly on.

• Like 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

Ah, Sharks weight memes. Just as r/hockey and Twitter have replaced HFBoards as the gen-pop of online hockey discussion, the Hurricanes have replaced the Sharks as the team whose fanbase is 2,000 miles up its own ass over how clever and sophisticated they are. The world spins madly on.

I do feel that the Hurricanes have started to lose some of that luster in the eyes of the online hockey world this offseason though with the DeAngelo signing and the team's public face during the Kotkaniemi offersheet saga.

I think the Hurricanes have started to fly too close to the sun in the eyes of a lot of online people and they're turning into that kid you went to elementary school with that was emboldened by making everyone laugh once or twice in the beginning and then just won't let the bit die.

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

6 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Are teams using the new plastic adidas sweaters in the preseason games?  The press release said starting October 12th but that is likely just to call out the regular season.

Yes, you can see the hem tag in the Flames/Kraken pic.  Also, the Kraken don't have an older set of jersey to fall back on so, yes they kinda had to.

• Like 2

Just now, ebod39 said:

Yes, you can see the hem tag in the Flames/Kraken pic.  Also, the Kraken don't have an older set of jersey to fall back on so, yes they kinda had to.

Thanks!  That's what I figured but just thought I'd ask with the October 12th "release date"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheRealPepman said:

FAf3-IyVEAUy7XN?format=jpg&name=4096x409

It's amazing how we see this uniform match-up first before the Golden Knights face the retro red Flames.

What a gorgeous uniform match-up there! I'm surprised at how much I really like the Seattle road uniforms. They looked fine enough in the original press photos, but seeing them on the ice - they really look great and give the darker home ones a run for their money.

The socks are really what make that set. That's a weird thing for an adult human male sportsfan to say, but there, I said it.

• Like 12

On 9/30/2021 at 9:43 AM, monkeypower said:

I do feel that the Hurricanes have started to lose some of that luster in the eyes of the online hockey world this offseason though with the DeAngelo signing and the team's public face during the Kotkaniemi offersheet saga.

I think the Hurricanes have started to fly too close to the sun in the eyes of a lot of online people and they're turning into that kid you went to elementary school with that was emboldened by making everyone laugh once or twice in the beginning and then just won't let the bit die.

Oh, I think most people loved the meme magic of the Kotkaniemi signing, especially because they're a Sun Belt team getting one over on a French Canadian team ([MOD EDIT]). The DeAngelo signing did seem to make people mad, but they've amassed so much goodwill by...I dunno, playing in a New South suburb and taking lots of sloppy shots?...that they can weather the bad publicity and keep choreographing their way into our hearts.

Anyway, that Flames-Kraken matchup looks really, really good. I'd still prefer subtle black accents between yellow and white on the Flames, but that's not a dealbreaker. It all looks very nice together. 

Edited by officeglenn
  • Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

16 hours ago, TheRealPepman said:

FAf3-IyVEAUy7XN?format=jpg&name=4096x409

It's amazing how we see this uniform match-up first before the Golden Knights face the retro red Flames.

The road uniforms look so good, I want ice blue to become their primary color so much.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Anyway, that Flames-Kraken matchup looks really, really good. I'd still prefer subtle black accents between yellow and white on the Flames, but that's not a dealbreaker. It all looks very nice together. 

I completely get that, but at the same time it makes for one less team with a red/black combo as primary in the NHL. My only issue is that they didn't update the retro set so that alternate captains have the Atlanta Flames' "A" on their sweaters. That was a nice touch that should've carried over.

Then again, this gets into my whole "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" attitude towards bringing back designs. Plenty of these designs have faults to fix (e.g., the white jersey's hem stripes for the Penguins, the thin shoulder/sleeve stripes on the Flyers, the Flames not using the Atlanta "A" and the different home/road striping patterns, and the Penguins mismatched socks). However, I completely get not wanting to screw the vintage design up with deviations. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, M4One said:

Clearing out space for more ads in the future. The crown is gone too.

Man, though t's been years now,  these are among the worst logos I've ever seen. Too bad the won the Cup in it twice. The crown on the shorts would have been fine. Terrible, just terrible.

[MOD EDIT: Removed GIF. Gross.]

Edited by officeglenn