2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

To the extent that these are ever good, one of the better City lineups across the leaguewide board I think. Just wish they were limited to like, a couple of designated "City Edition weekends" or something instead of sprinkled about wildly. 

That said, the black/orange Knicks logo, totally devoid of blue, is offensive to me. And I hate the Knicks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Blazers’ City Edition officially released:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Said it when these first leaked, I’ll say it again: while I’ve never really been a proponent of a PDX carpet uni for the Blazers, if they had to do one this was the right way to do it. A certain segment of fans have been clamoring for PDX carpet jerseys for like a decade now, so they finally get their wish but the pattern is wisely contained within the familiar sash instead of an all-over pattern. It’s not great, but it’s not bad either.

I have to give this somewhat of a kudos for the plain white PDX on the black background...I'm pretty sure it's supposed to look like a checked luggage tag. It's bit more machined/angular than the traditional tag fonts (IIRC, and there's likely more than one font used by all the airlines) but still pretty clever. 

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Blazers’ City Edition officially released:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Said it when these first leaked, I’ll say it again: while I’ve never really been a proponent of a PDX carpet uni for the Blazers, if they had to do one this was the right way to do it. A certain segment of fans have been clamoring for PDX carpet jerseys for like a decade now, so they finally get their wish but the pattern is wisely contained within the familiar sash instead of an all-over pattern. It’s not great, but it’s not bad either.

Does the piping/swoosh/number outline teal not match the carpet teal?

This set of City uniforms is pretty meh across the board. None of these really scream instant classic or memorable except for San Antonio, Detroit, Washington, and maybe Portland. What this release does excel at is delusional Nike-speak. Just take a look at some of the lines from the Nike website:

-Atlanta's uniform being 3 years away from the previous Peachtree set, the same amount of time it takes for a peach tree to grow.

-The Nuggets' jocktag logo, which has been around for a number of years, being over-dissected. This isn't anything new, no need to act like it is.

-Side gradient on the Warriors' uniform representing the diversity of the Bay Area. 

-The Lakers' uniform representing a literal "blank canvas". What is the point then? Seems like an excuse to give a reason behind a rather plain white, purple, and black uniform.

-The Timberwolves' font being representative of an "iconic building in the Minneapolis skyline". What building?

-The entire Magic set being vaguely defined, save for a mention of "metal armor". I have no idea what the inspiration behind the uniform is that connects to the city, beside something Disney?

-Uni Watch broke it down well, but the entire Kings uniform is marketed with a false sense of fans with "unmatched passion" keeping the team in Sacramento, when it was the Board of Directors. The team is also near constantly in the bottom of attendance each year (no offense to any current Kings fans).

-The Thunder wordmark across the chest "unifies the state". It's a wordmark, it's supposed to be there, no need to overmarket it.

There are some other examples, but that list is long enough already. But it's marketing like this that convinces me that Nike is trying too hard with what's becoming an increasingly confined premise in the City theme. Half of these descriptions were so hard to read through, almost as if they were reaching for buzz words to sound credible, but in the end it all sounds like utter nonsense. The City program needs to end or be re-evaluated, it's clear that ideas for the program are running out or becoming overmarketed. It's a shame, because some of these sets aren't bad either, but I just don't care as much about new uniforms in the NBA as I used to.

• Like 6

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

56 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

Does the piping/swoosh/number outline teal not match the carpet teal?

There does seem to be a slight mismatch, although I don’t think it’ll be too pronounced in action. Likely the result of different materials and either the carpet pattern (teal background and all) being sublimated onto the black fabric or the teal being a garment dye that’s ever so slightly darker than the teal of the piping and twill.

spacer.png

• Like 3

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Cavs look better than the leaks, but still not anything amazing. Really not a fan of the huge blue circle on the shorts.

They went with a Cleveland Metroparks theme. Honestly don't know why they went with light blue instead of green if that's the case. Can't say I've been impressed by anything this "visual artist" has done since he was put in charge of the Cavs branding. 

4-lamar-edited.png?imageOpt=1

court.jpg?imageOpt=1

I REALLLLLLLLY want to hate this, but it oddly works? Maybe? I think?

• Like 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, kimball said:

I REALLLLLLLLY want to hate this, but it oddly works? Maybe? I think?

They ended up way better than what I thought them to be going off the leaks due to the powder blue in the trim, but I really am not feeling those blue circles with the logo inside. Without them and if the wordmark had the same exact treatment as the number, it would be a really decent design.

The court has a nice color combo with a really pleasant shade of light brown. The City courts are unexpectedly rather good in general this time around for the majority of the teams.

Edited by truepg

Basically just a graphite version of the mint set. Looks good, love the CLT on the jersey finally.

https://wfnz.com/297132/hornets-unveil-new-city-edition-uniforms-for-22-23-season/

The Hornets obtained a special permission to use the “CLT” airport code trademark, as opposed to the CHA abbreviation which the NBA recognizes as their official abbreviation. The Hornets said there are no plans to acquire the CLT branding on a permanent basis. The trademark is held by a third-party owner who holds other trademarks to airport codes around the country.

Apparently the Hornets haven't used CLT because it's trademarked? I personally don't believe it for a second, if there's any need to license it then how on Earth did literally every other CLT sports team (including but not limited to: an MLS team, a minor league baseball team, a minor league hockey team, a lower-tier D1 university, and even a USL League One team) manage to acquire the license? This is the first time I've ever heard of it, plus, how can one even own an airport code trademark? I don't believe it meets the criteria for trademark but I haven't done any specific research yet.

And, in regards to the "CLT" stuff: look. If the Kings can place a massive SAC across their chest, Portland can be Rip City, and Milwaukee can be proud of their cream, the Hornets can use CLT. And why yes, you are the first person to ever make a joke about finding it. Congrats.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

the user formerly known as cdclt