Unpopular Opinions

I won't mind if the Islanders get a full-fledged re-brand. They're in Brooklyn anyway, might as well represent the region.

I agree. Their current uniforms are too '70s anyway and their crest is a jumbled mess.

I think you guys are more in the majority, because I've seen that all said here many times.

I, for one, love their entire look as it stands right now and would not change a thing except maybe darkening the colors again.

oBIgzrL.png

I won't mind if the Islanders get a full-fledged re-brand. They're in Brooklyn anyway, might as well represent the region.

I agree. Their current uniforms are too '70s anyway and their crest is a jumbled mess.

I think you guys are more in the majority, because I've seen that all said here many times.

I, for one, love their entire look as it stands right now and would not change a thing except maybe darkening the colors again.

I'd go for a full-on Brooklyn-centric refresh and keep the 1980s sweaters as an alternate.

I have tons of "unpopular" opinions. Here's a sampler, lol:

.I vastly prefer the Steelers' current number font over the traditional block font. I just get a classy, modern vibe from it.

.I don't know how unpopular this is........but the Milwaukee Bucks have never had a bad look in their entire history, IMO. Every color scheme they've used has been excellent, and their jerseys have all been solid.

.Most 90's NBA looks are superior to what they have now. Sure, they were overdone (too many elements on one jersey), but they oozed a certain flair and creativity that today's NBA designs lack.

."Wizards" is a good name, especially for a basketball team. The "Bullets" name is overrated. Also, both the Wiz & the Caps should've stuck with their previous color scheme, it was much more creative.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

LOL!!!!1!!1!

Seriously, I think the Islanders almost wear their desiged-in-half-an-hour crest as a badge of, I don't know if I'd call it "honor," but "resilience," maybe. I wish they'd put the four Cup hash marks back on the shoulder and also keep them on the stick.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

A number of people have called the Isles 80s look "dated" or "gaudy" (why they think royal blue and orange is gaudy, I'll never know), but I'm certain that the popular opinion is that they're a good-looking, classic set.

• Like 1

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Mod Note: This thread is for unpopular opinions about sports logos, jerseys, etc. It's not about meta complaining, nor complaining about the meta complaining. Posts have been moved elsewhere (you know where).

Thank you for participating. Carry on.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Probably, if I thought about it, I like grey facemaks. Do I want everyteam to have them? No, but they are a nice tertiary color that doesn't compete with other colors. And I think one reason I do like them, is that they were originally used, so I'm use to seeing grey facemasks from older pictures.

I think the thing about the Islanders is that they've used that one logo for so long, its considered a classic, even though from a visual standpoint its not very good. Same deal with the Bulls.(Thats probably an unpopular opinion too.) It doesn't help that every time the Isles have tried to shake things up its been a disaster (Fishsticks logo, Current alt). The logo they have now is the tried and true standby. Is it a good logo? Not really, but its hard to imagine them with anything else across their chest.

The current trend in sports uniform is all about going back to classic looks, so that plays a role as well.

I wish the Washington Nationals would bring back gold trim. Keep the current road wordmark and home "W", but add a gold outline, plus add the gold back to the numbers. Right now it's just another bland red/navy team.

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It's a mess of piping and random panels. Really representative of early 2000s designs.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

In that combination, they're fantastic. The black versions are ok, but the red with white pants look is quite nice.

Those panels aren't "random" (they're actually quite coherent), and piping isn't inherently evil.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

As a kid and to today, I still love the Islanders fisherman logo & home white jersey (have one myself); the blue was OK. I thought the colors complimented each other, and the wavy look of the jersey was original & made perfect sense to the nickname.

Islanders16.png

As an Oiler fan, I HATED this alternate jersey, apparently the best selling 3rd of all-time, ugh.

h6hfs2tuqg1qhekzszdnq9h6i.gif

I'm a fan of the Titans helmets and flaming thumbtack. I like the Greek fire and the way the flames wrap around the helmet. The only change I would make would be getting rid of the little pointy stripes.

mcnair_george_070609_blog.jpg

It's a mess of piping and random panels. Really representative of early 2000s designs.

I wouldn't call it a mess. These are a mess:

PF36lhO.jpg

I'm not a HUGE fan of the Falcons' uniforms, but objectively, they've probably used piping the best of any team in the league.

I'm by no means a fan of the pats or their uniforms, but they're certainly better than the falcons. The red piping does look pretty unnecessary and disjointed, but it is rather subtle in comparison to the extraneous piping and patches that litter the falcons jerseys.

The white jerseys probably better illustrate the main problem with the Pats' look:

Wes+Welker+Rob+Gronkowski+Cincinnati+Bengals+fXH-BuNnHZTx.jpg

The side panels on the jersey simply don't match the pants stripes. The blue stripe is always wider on the jersey than on the pants, and the red piping is always thinner than the red outline on the pants. That inconsistency plus the bizarre shoulder striping makes the uniforms look like an awkward mess.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I am actually a huge fan of the Ravens' home purple jerseys.

ogden_Jonathan_T_1996_UCLA.jpg

tempIMG35784--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=620&height=465

I personally believe their numeral font (white numerals with a metallic gold trim blends very well with their purple jerseys. Their really unique and stand out more. BTW: I'm not a huge fan of their away white jerseys, especially with the "leotard" look. They look bland and don't excite me as much as their home purples.

If the Ravens want to have a better look for the away games, I suggest ditching "black" stripeless pants, and replace it with purple pants with a metallic gold/black/metallic gold stripe. That would look much better, although it will not help improve the away jersey much. But it least it will be an improvement IMO.

I honestly have no idea why everyone hates this set so much:

Will+Smith+football+player+New+Orleans+Saints+9zsQdJN1FfNx.jpg

I'd even go as far as saying they are a top five or top ten look in the league.

Because they look like a CFL or an Arena Football franchise. I think the Falcons need to return to wearing red helmets, with silver pants, and the basic red jerseys just like they did in the late 70s through the entire 1980s. Somewhere, Steve Bartkowski would be proud!!!

steve_bartkowski_1983_10_01.jpg