Unpopular Opinions

Yes -- the Ravens' uniforms are iconic at this point, but they're still ugly and only one notch better than some of the worst sets in the league. This seemed to be a common opinion on this board a few years ago.

This is going to sound totally galaxy-brained, but I really think the Titans' (ultimately disappointing) uniform-switch kind of tracks with the turnaround in perception on the Ravens' uniforms. Both uniforms were considered bottom-six or seven sets for years, that -- while possessing a lot of character and having highly distinctive color-schemes/numbers -- just weren't very attractive and screamed late-nineties. Yet when the Titans switched to an even worse uniform, most of us changed our opinion on the old Titans' threads and suddenly ranked their White & Columbia Blue variants as being way above average. (I would include myself in this grouping).

I kind of think people are scared that the same sort of downgrade would happen with Baltimore and that's why we have a lot of people ranking their set as like... a C+ tier set, instead of a D-tier set like before. And on some level, I get why people are scared because I personally can't even think of a team in recent history that has nailed a major uniform-change without pulling heavy inspiration from an already-great uniform history of theirs (Chargers, Browns, Bills, Vikings, Rams' "modern-throwback" alternate, and even the Bengals without that one stupid pair of pants all come to mind).

Yet, in an ideal world, I really do think the Ravens can do so much better. Their uniforms just kind of suck. This is heavily subjective, but I don't think they're like the Columbia-Blue Titans or even the current-day Broncos in terms of best late nineties-era uniforms. The less risk-averse side of me would love to potentially see a change here (for instance, I've seen concepts on this board for a pearlescent black-purple helmet that would be incredibly nice, IMO).

EDIT: ahhhhh yes, I'm referring to Brandon Moore's concept: https://www.bmcreative.net/ravens

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 4:09 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Speaking of which, how about hockey? I've always liked contrasting socks in hockey, as long as the socks are lighter than the jersey, like these:

spacer.png

The Bruins should have never changed this look. It was essentially perfect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

I’ve never thought the Packers uniforms were as good as people make them out to be. They may be “classic”, but they’re also generic catalog garbage.

By that logic everything that has had the same uniform since the 90’s is in “generic catalog garbage”. It isn’t a catalog uniform when it is the original that it is based off of.

8 minutes ago, dont care said:

By that logic everything that has had the same uniform since the 90’s is in “generic catalog garbage”. It isn’t a catalog uniform when it is the original that it is based off of.

Not necessarily. I don’t consider the Panthers catalog garbage. Green Bay on the other hand is just overtly bland. It might just be the team’s refusal to go fully Nike material with their jerseys. There’s nothing about the uniform that gives me any amount of serotonin. The only thing that came close to it was the inclusion of white pants for color rush.

• Like 1

Got a two-fer: 

1. Not sure how unpopular this one is, but Vegas's Reverse Retro really should be their full time alternate and I'm sad to see it going by the waste side after a season. 

2. The Islanders Reverse Retro continues to prove that they look better in Navy in contrast to the Oilers looking sharper in Royal Blue. 

• Like 2

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

9 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

1. Not sure how unpopular this one is, but Vegas's Reverse Retro really should be their full time alternate and I'm sad to see it going by the waste side after a season. 

The term you're looking for is "wayside."

9 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

2. The Islanders Reverse Retro continues to prove that they look better in Navy in contrast to the Oilers looking sharper in Royal Blue. 

Yes on part one, no on part two. The orange with navy trim is the best the Oilers have ever looked.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Not sure how popular or unpopular this is, but I really dislike the all-white goalie pad trend. Jerseys aside, this:

5d59c133e66165c0f5267e9fc4abdf74.jpg

Looks so much better than this:

TkugqBp.png

Apologies for using DiPi as the reference, he's just the first goalie I could think of that had both maximalist and minimalist pads.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 11:47 AM, KittSmith_95 said:

The Islanders Reverse Retro continues to prove that they look better in Navy

This man gets it.  Let the Rangers and Oilers have royal blue.  The period after the Fishsticks jersey and pre-Edge was the best the Isles ever looked.

• Like 2

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 10/21/2021 at 4:06 PM, DTConcepts said:

Not sure how popular or unpopular this is, but I really dislike the all-white goalie pad trend. Jerseys aside, this:

5d59c133e66165c0f5267e9fc4abdf74.jpg

Looks so much better than this:

TkugqBp.png

Apologies for using DiPi as the reference, he's just the first goalie I could think of that had both maximalist and minimalist pads.

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion at all. And no offense, but you really didn't use the best examples lol. His "maximalist" pads are pretty white and his "minimalist" pads aren't minimalist at all and actually pretty colorful imo

Minimalist

spacer.png

Maximalist

spacer.png

spacer.png

Happy medium! imo

spacer.png

16 hours ago, Ark said:

Is this unpopular?

The Red Wings should wear their white uniforms all the time  like the Cowboys do.  They are much nicer than their red uniforms; they truly appear to have "red wings".

I don’t think the NHL will allow them. They can wear a white alternate at home. But their home jersey has to be colored.

On 10/29/2021 at 5:33 PM, Ark said:

Is this unpopular?

The Red Wings should wear their white uniforms all the time  like the Cowboys do.  They are much nicer than their red uniforms; they truly appear to have "red wings".

I don't think its a popular idea but beyond that it isn't really feasible. The NHL isn't like the NFL where teams fly to their opponent's city then fly back. They go on long road trips with multiple games where they're away from home for weeks sometimes. Having Detroit wear white at home would mean they'd have to deal with the logistics of packing a second set of equipment for that game. And I know once in a blue moon this will happen if a team has a white special event jersey they want to wear, but implementing this would mean they'd have to bring along their home equipment every time they pass through Detroit. This would also mean Detroit would essentially only have one uniform, which wouldn't be good from a marketing perspective.

Also, Dallas should just fix their uniforms and wear blue at home already anyway.

28 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Also, Dallas should just fix their uniforms and wear blue at home already anyway.

Please no, we have enough goddamn blue teams in the NHL as it is. Dallas owns green in the NHL; if they change anything about their uniforms, I'd say modernizing the star cuts with the current logos and colors is good enough.

Just now, Ridleylash said:

Please no, we have enough goddamn blue teams in the NHL as it is. Dallas owns green in the NHL; if they change anything about their uniforms, I'd say modernizing the star cuts with the current logos and colors is good enough.

Jerry Jones must really be off his rocker at this point if he's making the Cowboys play hockey.

• Like 5