Unpopular Opinions

9 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I'm going to challenge you on two points. 

How do these push any envelopes? They're just cashing in on the "team logo in a roundel"/double blue trend that started when everyone fell in love with Pittsburgh's throwbacks from the 2008 Winter Classic. 

Also...how do these "fit in" with South Florida? There are a few colour schemes that fit with South Florida (the Panthers' standard colour scheme is one) but double blue and white doesn't. It's a cool colour scheme, and not one I'd associate with Florida. South or otherwise. 

The jerseys pushed the envelope of the Panthers' brand, rather than overall jersey design. They took the Panthers' identity, which has always been known as bright, flashy, jagged, detailed, and 90's-esque, and simplified it. They toned down the striping, went for a reserved color palette, and simplified the logo. They pushed the envelope in the opposite direction than it usually gets pushed, making the Panthers seem more traditional than their overall branding.

And maybe it's because I've only visited South Florida a couple times for very brief periods of time, but the double blue reminds me of the ocean I saw there. The beaches are that lighter, more tropical blue that fades out into the deeper, darker ocean waters. One could even say that the white stripes represent waves or ocean foam that differentiates the two.

• Like 1

Penn State looked better when they had contrasting collars and cuffs

Penn State steamrolls Arizona 41-7 - August 28, 1999

Also USC (Trojans) should wear these as a throwback at some point, as they did have a lot of success in them (either with the gray facemasks or the crimson):

Ronnie Lott USC Trojans 8X10 Photo | BestSportsPhotos.com

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:34 PM, DTConcepts said:

The jerseys pushed the envelope of the Panthers' brand, rather than overall jersey design...They pushed the envelope in the opposite direction than it usually gets pushed, making the Panthers seem more traditional than their overall branding.

I disagree. They were trying to cash in on a trend, and abandoned the sweater as soon as the trend had run its course. Nothing really "stuck" with this. It was essentially the Panthers playing Throwback Penguins Dressup. 

On 8/23/2021 at 6:34 PM, DTConcepts said:

And maybe it's because I've only visited South Florida a couple times for very brief periods of time, but the double blue reminds me of the ocean I saw there. The beaches are that lighter, more tropical blue that fades out into the deeper, darker ocean waters. One could even say that the white stripes represent waves or ocean foam that differentiates the two.

Sorry, I'm not seeing it. If you're going to interpret that scheme as representing the ocean then, to me at least, it feels like the ocean in a northern locale. Waves crashing against the rocky shores of New England, for example. Nothing about double blue and white says "South Florida" to me. It's far too cold and tame for that area. 

• Like 4

On 8/23/2021 at 2:58 PM, DTConcepts said:

The Panthers Need a Third Jersey Hockey Uniform Design ALternate Florida  NHL SB Nation SBN Week - Litter Box Cats

These jerseys are actually really solid, and fit in well with south Florida hockey. I get that people don't like them because they strayed too far from the Panthers' normal branding, but isn't that the point of alternate jerseys? To push the envelope?

Regardless, these jerseys don't deserve the crap they get. They look really slick.

I just read a story that the Panthers had planned to dump their original colour scheme and go with the double blue in 2010, but Dale Talon and Bill Torrey hated it and the change never happened.  Anyone remember anything about that?

All because they wanted JetBlue as a sponsor.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nhl.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/florida-is-killing-its-jetblue-third-jerseys/amp/

• Like 1

The one element of that terrible alternate that they could have salvaged was the secondary logo. Lop off the A and just have FL to stand for "Florida" and "Fort Lauderdale," and you could have had a secondary that would have been a nice update on the dated stick-and-palm.

Other than that, just a terrible idea all around. I can go either way on red base or navy base for the Panthers, they both worked well in different ways (the red base arguably felt more Floridian but the red and gold both jumped off the navy together so nicely), but two-tone blue was tired as hell when every NBA team did it in 2005. It was a cynical and uncreative marketing ploy from an organization that had had a lot of those. 

That Perds alternate sucked hard too.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 8/25/2021 at 8:11 PM, M4One said:

I just read a story that the Panthers had planned to dump their original colour scheme and go with the double blue in 2010, but Dale Talon and Bill Torrey hated it and the change never happened.  Anyone remember anything about that?

All because they wanted JetBlue as a sponsor.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nhl.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/florida-is-killing-its-jetblue-third-jerseys/amp/

I definitely remember that. That was at the time when everybody was trying to wear double-blue. Thankfully it seems Winnipeg and now Seattle have essentially staked their claim on it and we can move on.

Now, if the Kings won't do it, can somebody wear purple? Its right there, waiting to be taken.

• Like 2

Ok, I do like Arizona's uniforms as in improvement over the overdesigned sets they have had previously, but something, to me, does not feel right. To start, I've never been a big fan of readopting straight-up throwback sets without a new/more modern element to update the look. Adding a more unique number font or a navy helmet would help with this. Secondly, I think there needs to be more color in the look. Maybe a navy helmet and red jersey option, to help distance themselves from other Navy/White heavy teams like Penn State and Rice. Lastly, something about this set comes off as cheap to me, although I don't know what. I'm not saying that it's not an upgrade, but I don't think I'm into it as much as other people are. They aren't really a home run, and they don't offer much improvement on the old Desert Swarm set.

Arizona Wildcats bring back the Desert Rising uniforms - Arizona Desert  Swarm

And to be frank, I don't think that the old set was completely unsalvageable. The White jersey in particular shows how that modern design, if given some more balanced colors on the Navy/Red options, could have been one of the best uniforms in Division 1. Just drop some of the white dots and tweak the font a bit and boom.

Arizona football: Ranking the Wildcats' new uniform combos - Arizona Desert  Swarm

And, I've also added in a sort of marriage of the two styles as a sort of shameless plug from a project I have/had been working on, but never released, to sort of illustrate my point.

a7qTN8X.png

Who knows, maybe they just need some time to grow on me. I guess we will see.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

23 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Ok, I do like Arizona's uniforms as in improvement over the overdesigned sets they have had previously, but something, to me, does not feel right. To start, I've never been a big fan of readopting straight-up throwback sets without a new/more modern element to update the look. Adding a more unique number font or a navy helmet would help with this. Secondly, I think there needs to be more color in the look. Maybe a navy helmet and red jersey option, to help distance themselves from other Navy/White heavy teams like Penn State and Rice. Lastly, something about this set comes off as cheap to me, although I don't know what. I'm not saying that it's not an upgrade, but I don't think I'm into it as much as other people are. They aren't really a home run, and they don't offer much improvement on the old Desert Swarm set.

Arizona Wildcats bring back the Desert Rising uniforms - Arizona Desert  Swarm

And to be frank, I don't think that the old set was completely unsalvageable. The White jersey in particular shows how that modern design, if given some more balanced colors on the Navy/Red options, could have been one of the best uniforms in Division 1. Just drop some of the white dots and tweak the font a bit and boom.

Arizona football: Ranking the Wildcats' new uniform combos - Arizona Desert  Swarm

And, I've also added in a sort of marriage of the two styles as a sort of shameless plug from a project I have/had been working on, but never released, to sort of illustrate my point.

a7qTN8X.png

Who knows, maybe they just need some time to grow on me. I guess we will see.

I’d say the red distances them from the navy and white teams…

23 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Maybe a navy helmet

No. We're done with that. That helmet needs to stay in the past with Stoops, Rodriguez and Sumlin.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 8/31/2021 at 11:18 AM, Chromatic said:

I definitely remember that. That was at the time when everybody was trying to wear double-blue. Thankfully it seems Winnipeg and now Seattle have essentially staked their claim on it and we can move on.

I think Winnipeg & Columbus need to sit down and have a conversation about their respective brands. The Blue Jackets are a navy & red team with a double-blue fauxback alternate that most of the fanbase seems to prefer. The Jets are a double-blue team with a navy & red fauxback alternate that most of the fanbase seems to prefer.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2021 at 7:16 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

In baseball, dark jerseys look much much better paired with the same color dark pants then they do with white or gray pants.

Sorry to quote you on this now, several weeks later, but this is the first time I've seen this post.

Anyway, I do have to ask how you reconcile this view with your very strong views against monochrome football uniforms. Is the aesthetic of baseball and football uniforms that different in order to justify it? Because, honestly, in either sport, what I see are uniforms with a jersey top, a pants bottom that may or may not leave the socks visible (and the pajama pants look doesn't exist in football like it does in baseball, though I suppose the leotard pants/socks combo is a functional equivalent) and either a helmet or hat being worn on top of the head. I suppose a lot of that is common sense and not that different than how people literally dress themselves each day in the name of normalcy and common decency, but I feel like you would've reversed the order of the all-navy and blue jersey/gray pants around if it was something like this:

spacer.png

spacer.png

(Obviously those aren't the same teams, but I trust you understand my point here.)

spacer.png

I think this is relatively unpopular around here; I hate Ole Miss’s powder blue helmets and jerseys. Can’t hold a candle to the navy blue helmet and jersey with gray pants. Thats a classic football uniform.

The helmet is fine as a throwback but the powder blue jerseys is out of place and ugly.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Anyway, I do have to ask how you reconcile this view with your very strong views against monochrome football uniforms. Is the aesthetic of baseball and football uniforms that different in order to justify it?

Yeah, pretty much, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2