2012 NCAA Football thread

Kevin W.

Does anybody know if the PAC 12 is using the same format for their conference championship game, where the team with the better records gets to host? I prefer that over a neutral site.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody know if the PAC 12 is using the same format for their conference championship game, where the team with the better records gets to host? I prefer that over a neutral site.

Yep. Friday, November 30th at the home field of the division champ with the better record.

Yep. Friday, November 30th at the home field of the division champ with the better record.

Sweet! Wish every 12+ team conference did that. Besides the PAC-12 the only other conference that uses that format is Conference USA. ACC really needs to consider changing formats. Most of the neutral site ACC championship games had very noticeable amounts of empty seats.

Sweet! Wish every 12+ team conference did that. Besides the PAC-12 the only other conference that uses that format is Conference USA. ACC really needs to consider changing formats. Most of the neutral site ACC championship games had very noticeable amounts of empty seats.

And the members of the ACC disagree with you.

The ACC title game now has a home where it sells out and that site is Charlotte. The game has been in Charlotte for two years and has sold out both times. The game will be there for the next two years.

They misplaced the game in Florida as a mini-vacation site but crowds did not show and the locals did not buy seats either.

"We prefer a quality neutral site where the game can be consistently successful year in and year out, and hopefully we have found that here in Charlotte. That's been what we've pursued from the very first championship game. And certainly our first two years in Charlotte indicate to us that this may well be that home. So we didn't really seriously consider that in terms of going to campus, but obviously it is something that the Pac-12 is doing on the West Coast, and we'll see how that goes. But from a pure competitive standpoint, we very much prefer a neutral site."

-ACC Commissioner John Swofford

What happens if two teams have the same record and didn't play in the season? Or if you have two undefeated teams that didn't play cross-conference?

What if you have one division winner at 7-1 and the other at 6-2 but the 6-2 division winner's actually a better team in a tougher conference?

6fQjS3M.png

What happens if two teams have the same record and didn't play in the season? Or if you have two undefeated teams that didn't play cross-conference?

What if you have one division winner at 7-1 and the other at 6-2 but the 6-2 division winner's actually a better team in a tougher conference?

1) Not sure. Probably point differential comes into play.

2) The 7-1 team would get to host due to having a better record. As far as I know strength or schedule is not a determining factor when it comes to conference championship games. W-L record is the primary factor.

2) The 7-1 team would get to host due to having a better record. As far as I know strength or schedule is not a determining factor when it comes to conference championship games. W-L record is the primary factor.

Re:2 - Yes, I know, I'm not saying as a "who hosts" type of thing but as a competitive balance type of thing. If the four best teams in any given season are, say, USC, UCLA, ASU, and Utah, there's a damn good chance Oregon might be the host even if they're the 5th best team in the league. See what I mean?

6fQjS3M.png

Re:2 - Yes, I know, I'm not saying as a "who hosts" type of thing but as a competitive balance type of thing. If the four best teams in any given season are, say, USC, UCLA, ASU, and Utah, there's a damn good chance Oregon might be the host even if they're the 5th best team in the league. See what I mean?

I gotta be honest I don't get the point you're trying to make. If Oregon ends up being the 5th best team (out of 6 teams) in their division of the PAC-12, they won't end up playing the the conference title game.

It doesn't matter how good a team is when it comes to conference title games, the only factor that matters is standing within each division of the conference. The first place team in each division goes on to play for the conference championship, period. Of the two first place teams in each division, the team with the better conference win-loss record will get to host the championship game, period. Oregon (or any PAC-12 team for that matter) would only get to host the PAC-12 Championship game if a) they finish first in their respective division and B.) they have the better conference win loss record than than the other division winner.

Competitive balance is not a factor at all.

It's not a question about who hosts it. He's making the point that giving home field advantage in a championship game off such a small sample size has a pretty high likelihood of giving the less talented team home field advantage. And college football might be the sport where home field plays the biggest factor. I'd much rather see all the conference championship games played at neutral sites. The game that means the difference between a BCS game or not (and likely a playoff berth in the future) should be played at a neutral site for fairness.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Oregon is in a different division than those other schools I named. Billy's right now able to more easily explain my point right now. Essentially, you could have this for standings...

Oregon 7-1 (got a good cross-division draw)

Stanford 4-4

Washington 3-5

Washington State 2-6

California 1-7

Oregon State 1-7

Southern Cal 6-2

UCLA 6-2

Arizona State 6-2

Utah 5-3

Arizona 4-4

Colorado 3-5

Would you really be able to tell me Oregon is more deserving than USC to host if their loss was Utah and their cross-division wins were Arizona and Colorado?

6fQjS3M.png

A similar example is how the SEC East turned out last season.

South Carolina beat every opponent in the East...went undefeated. However, Georgia was the SEC East champion because they finished 7-1 overall in the SEC (including cross-division games) and South Carolina went 6-2. South Carolina played (and went 0-2) to Arkansas and Auburn while Georgia was paired with Auburn and Ole Miss. Some have wondered why divisions exist if you can't beat every single team in your division but still not come out the champion.

Personally, it didn't bother me a lot because we knew the rules going into the season and had we not lost to a terrible Auburn team, it would have been an non-issue...but I can see how it frustrates some fans.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• 2 weeks later...

Some noteworthy NCAA news this morning

PR/KR/DB Greg Reid kicked off of Florida State for violating team rules. This guy is a f'in monster from what I remember so this could be a big blow for FSU. Props to them for actually having the kahunas to kick one of their best players off their team.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8221598/florida-state-seminoles-kick-cornerback-greg-reid-team

Also, Montee Ball was apparently jumped last night in Madison by 5 dudes he claims he doesn't know and he is now in the hospital... My personal guesstimation (solely just based on my experiences in college) is that this started at a club. And at least 1 of the 5 dudes was jealous that Ball was pullin in any chick he wanted at the club, so he probably took any chance to try and start something with Ball. Maybe Ball stepped on his shoes or something.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8222009/wisconsin-badgers-rb-montee-ball-victim-unprovoked-attack

90758391980.gif

Penn State's star running back Silas Redd transfered to USC.

In ridiculous news, Ohio State running back Bri'onte Dunn got caught wrecklessly driving and with drug paraphenilia and marijuana, but got out of the drug charges because his mom said it was hers...

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/07/31/ohio-state-freshman-brionte-dunn-avoids-marijuana-charges-after-mom-takes-rap/

Manchester-City-icon.png

Archived