Milwaukee Bucks Unveil New Logos/Colors, Jerseys & Court

mgdmhl

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Sterling on some points. I do like the look they came out with bud from a fundamental DESIGN standpoint you're right. I think logos are less creative than they used to be. Perhaps a bit more cookie cutter (aka: roundels). Also trends change and s lot of teams go with these 'manufactured' trends (Nike going volt and anthracite for example). The point is that the Pistons and Islanders 90s logos were well illustrated. I think the Florida Panthers are another example: their original logo while extremely detailed is so much better than the stripped down version they tried to throw in a roundel on a third jersey that wasn't their colors. The NBA has become really safe and basic with their uniform designs to the point that people don't mind randomness as much. But as a 90s kid (born in the late 80s) I enjoyed the NBA's unique off the wall looks (a fad to be sure), but teams were far more distinguishable. Identities weren't as muddied. Just my 2c

Yeah, I also don't wanna be on record where anyone thinks we need MORE of the mid 90s Pistons, more of the 90s Sabres or more of the 90s Islanders. I think the trend toward simpler logos is generally a good one. But simpler work is actually (IMO) harder to get right. It's not easy ... making really good iPhone app icons for instance, is very difficult. So I see it as like ocean currents under the surface of this industry. And they are somewhat countervailing forces. I would say you'd ideally want elements of both. I can't argue allowing more n00bs to the party and less SMEs is a bad thing. I'd be a hypocrite. New blood and new ideas is definitely a plus.

I see it vaguely like this:

------- more capable small shop or sole proprietor designers doing generally better work-----------+ >> (good)

(bad)<<------------------------- apparel vendors offer free design services and have their own agendas-----------

--------more opportunities. More alternates. More special occasions in the pros. Small colleges and even high schools----+>> (good)

(bad) <<----- whenever new markets emerge there is temporarily room for quality and standards to drop at the margins----------

(bad?) << ---- the stigma of a bad rebrand is almost gone. Any publicity is good publicity. Just try. You can always change it back--> (good?)

(bad?) <<--- Fashion and sports marketing have officially merged. They were running parallel for 30 years. Now they are one in the same. There will be a new 4th of July fitted cap every year. There will be a new NCAA Tourney uni every year.--------->>+ (good?)

(bad) <<------the pressure to stand out makes designers and teams take unnecessary risks. Custom fonts are cool but athletic block essentially "evolved" to nearly perfection. Now the expectation is that every major rebrand might involve a custom proprietary font and there simply aren't enough potential variables to justify that.

Like a freight train with stickum

Yeah, once you take a step backwards and see the genius of Robert Indiana's original design...

mecca2.jpg

I always hated that court - now I see the brilliance of the design. Maybe it was just bitter tears seeing Dr J walk off that court after his last-ever game.

Yeah, once you take a step backwards and see the genius of Robert Indiana's original design...

mecca2.jpg

I always hated that court - now I see the brilliance of the design. Maybe it was just bitter tears seeing Dr J walk off that court after his last-ever game.

It was such a huge thrill of mine to walk on that court! I felt like I was walking on clouds!

packchampionslfroh.png

Looks like Milwaukee is the runaway winner for this summer's re-brands. Clippers and Raptors are complete garbage, Philly is just OK, and just based on ques from the Christmas unis I don't think the new Hawks set will be anything to celebrate.

No outlines on Philadelphia uniforms and Phila on both home and road makes them a solid 8.5 in my book(aka small upgrade from previous uniform).

Bucks Irish rainbow could've been better but outlines and execution give it a solid 9(they changed their uniform completely instead of being lazy).

Clippers and 76ers uniforms both compared to previous unis looks identical! however Philly did an excellent job where as CLA took their identity and made it look like Sterlings behavior.

shado_logo.gif

The Bucks and Sixers are neck and neck for me this season. Both were very, very good and well designed. Both have a good sense of purpose and thought behind them. I think I give a slight edge to the Bucks, but that edge is very slight.

The Clippers are at an all-time worst level. I can't really add anything else to what's been said, other than it sure is frustrating when something obviously bad and amateur still somehow gets signed off on in pro sports. That shouldn't happen, but alas, here we are and have been on a few occasions, but few as bad as this.

The Raptors change, according to what we've heard, seems absolutely pointless. That is all.

I'll wait to form an opinion on the Hawks when I see everything rolled out, but two things I'm disappointed in already: 1) I actually liked the full-body hawk a lot, and will be sad to see it go, and 2) "ATL" potentially staying as a jersey wordmark. "ATL" has never looked good on a uniform and needs to go away forever. Shoot it into space, kill it with fire, bury it thirty feet under...I don't care. Just get it out of here.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Bucks and Sixers had such different philosophies behind them, it's hard to put one above the other.

Each succeeds brilliantly at its intended purpose; the Sixers wanted to directly re-create a combination of past eras, while the Bucks wanted to create a vintage-inspired design that was simultaneously modern in application.

Nah. I'll take the Sixers over the Bucks.

The Sixers look is solid but it seems so uninspired compared to the Buck's fantastic refresh.

Considering they've gone out of their way to explain that it was inspired by three specific uniforms (or at least inspired by the desire to blend three specific uniforms) I'd say that it most certainly was inspired. You may not like the way it turned out, and I can certainly understand why some have issues with it, but "I don't like it" doesn't equal "not inspired".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived