MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

27 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but I actually enjoy that the gold (or limestone or sandstone or whatever they're calling it) is limited in use to the home set. That color dominates the palette of that stadium, so it makes perfect sense to incorporate in a small way into the home uniforms. Following the BFBS and GFFS eras of sports uniforms, I enjoy that a color was added to an existing set with a purpose.

I'm not sure the palette of the stadium needs to be incorporated into the jerseys. Baltimore has a lot of brick and green, yet thankfully those colors aren't on the Orioles jerseys (save for a Camden Yards patch). Other stadiums are the same way.  The Red Sox aren't adding green anytime soon because of their stadium.  IMO, the Twins' home unis are pretty bad with the addition of the gold/khaki. Looked better without it.  The drop-shadowed home wordmark is just ugly.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but I actually enjoy that the gold (or limestone or sandstone or whatever they're calling it) is limited in use to the home set. That color dominates the palette of that stadium, so it makes perfect sense to incorporate in a small way into the home uniforms. Following the BFBS and GFFS eras of sports uniforms, I enjoy that a color was added to an existing set with a purpose.

I thought these did a much better job of matching the limestone than a gold outline. 

490625471-boston-red-sox-v-minnesota-twi

31 minutes ago, DrAwesomeberry said:

I thought these did a much better job of matching the limestone than a gold outline. 

490625471-boston-red-sox-v-minnesota-twi

Completely agree. I’ve given up on the idea of implementing gold. Seeing it in person, it looks way too dark and muddles the red. I’d be in support of a redesign for the Twins as soon as possible, with a look similar to this possibly as the home.

Speaking of the Twins, this Twins fan supports a return of the red wordmark, at least on the home uniform.

I know blue was what the original uniforms had, but red is what they won the WS in both 87 and 91 in and will always look better to me.

I'm also a sucker for the blue pinstripes on the gray road uniform and that only works with a red wordmark, but if they are not going to have the pinstripes I'm ok with the current road wordmark staying blue.

I'm not a Twins fan but I love their look. I wasn't about the navy road wordmark at first but now that they've added a navy wordmark at home, I think it works and they get bonus points for being the only navy/red team to not use a red wordmark at home. I also think they look much better without pinstripes. Old videos of Mauer now make the jerseys look bland. But yeah, lose the gold.

14 hours ago, jayjackson3 said:

I have seen the Yankees and Tigers so far with two different Spring Training jerseys. Are there any others out there?

14 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

I believe all teams have two if not more

I believe the Rays only have one they’ve worn, light blue home and road.

16 hours ago, jayjackson3 said:

I have seen the Yankees and Tigers so far with two different Spring Training jerseys. Are there any others out there?

16 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

I believe all teams have two if not more

Some teams have 2 jerseys but most have one. If you've seen a second you might be talking about that 3/4 sleeve pullover with nothing on the back and the number on the left sleeve that is meant more for batting practice and warmups than for game action. Yes the Yankees and Tigers do have two different jerseys though, one for home one for away. The Tigers actually have 4 caps too but so far I've only seen them wear 2 of them. 

Edit: Just glanced over a few of the cap selections and there is no rhyme or reason for so many of them and the teams aren't even wearing most of the alternates and/or road versions. Several teams have made 2-4 caps and are only wearing one at all times basically reminding us that the extra caps are just there for the profits. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

To be honest I kinda have no problem with teams making extra caps for $$$ for spring training but if you've got 3 or 4 caps, it'd be nice to see the players rotate through all of them at least every so often. Wouldn't that even drive more sales if fans see all of the cap options being worn by their team's players?

2 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

When the gold is on a red background it looks way better. If the Twins went back to the red lettering and used the red caps it would be a solid unique look

Again, not a Twins fan but I'm very here for the Twins going with a red cap full time. It'd help them stand apart from the Indians and there's a history there for them: 

1977-0629-Rod-Carew-079006094.jpg&w=1000

21 hours ago, lbj273 said:

Speaking of the Twins, this Twins fan supports a return of the red wordmark, at least on the home uniform.

I know blue was what the original uniforms had, but red is what they won the WS in both 87 and 91 in and will always look better to me.

I'm also a sucker for the blue pinstripes on the gray road uniform and that only works with a red wordmark, but if they are not going to have the pinstripes I'm ok with the current road wordmark staying blue.

The Twins NEVER should have changed from that '87/'91 look.  Everything since then has been a mess.  Don't change something that becomes a classic with two amazing World Series wins in five years.

Just a comment on the new Spring Training hats now that I've seen this material in-action over a week or so on MLB.tv.

These are no short than an unmitigated disaster due to the sweat that immediately soaks through them and then leaves a stain.  It's excruciating to have to look at.  These are awful.

The Brewers are now one of the select few to switch their cap logo to primary status.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2018/03/07/milwaukee-brewers-change-their-primary-logo/

Is this a trend now? Because I'm not sure I really like it. If some teams are going to do it, I feel like everybody should. It bothers me that some teams use fully designed logos with multiple elements as their primaries, but then you have others that use a basic, stylized letter instead. I personally want the league to have logo consistency.

1 hour ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

The Brewers are now one of the select few to switch their cap logo to primary status.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2018/03/07/milwaukee-brewers-change-their-primary-logo/

Is this a trend now? Because I'm not sure I really like it. If some teams are going to do it, I feel like everybody should. It bothers me that some teams use fully designed logos with multiple elements as their primaries, but then you have others that use a basic, stylized letter instead. I personally want the league to have logo consistency.

I agree, and as a guy who's #1 team in all of sports is the Brewers, I don't like this move.  I love the modern navy/yellow BiG logo, but I feel like they really shouldn't have made a change if it wasn't to that.  IMO, a primary logo should be the main logo you see that defines the organization and its location, while the main secondary logo should be a simple compact logo (like the "M" or BiG) that is shown on scoreboards, stats pages, etc. where a complicated primary logo isn't practical.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

I don't pay much attention to Spring Training, but I noticed something about those silly patterned names and numbers that makes them even sillier: If a team wears a front number on its Spring Training jerseys, that is done in standard, regular-season style, but the patterning stuff still goes on the back. The Mets have orange-on-white numbers on the front, and the patterned stuff on the back in white. Lordy, that's dumb.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

I don't pay much attention to Spring Training, but I noticed something about those silly patterned names and numbers that makes them even sillier: If a team wears a front number on its Spring Training jerseys, that is done in standard, regular-season style, but the patterning stuff still goes on the back. The Mets have orange-on-white numbers on the front, and the patterned stuff on the back in white. Lordy, that's dumb.

Yep.

HYFBIZU7KNCGRKVZWJKYRQXXI4.jpg

IbjBaeE.png

14 hours ago, Whitesox572 said:

Just a comment on the new Spring Training hats now that I've seen this material in-action over a week or so on MLB.tv.

These are no short than an unmitigated disaster due to the sweat that immediately soaks through them and then leaves a stain.  It's excruciating to have to look at.  These are awful.

Yea I can't believe how much the sweat shows. I thought the whole point of these thngs, in terms of technology/advancements in the material, was to get away from things like sweat stains being so profound. These seem to be a step backwards from the diamond era material. I still can't forget the guy who compared these to cargo shorts material. It seems to be even more fitting now. 

Archived