raysox

Unpopular Opinions

2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

To me, it's the perfect baseball font, and if it were a teeny bit bolder, it would be a near-perfect font for most anything.. 

I wore #15 in high school, and I LOVED the way the 1 and the 5 looked in this font.. Probably has something to do with why the Texans' font is my favorite athletic number font..

That's my problem with it, I find it too thin. The Royals either use a little-seen thicker variant, or they just have a color matching outline. Either way, I feel the numbers almost require some kind of outline to look good. The other common variant, seen on the Yankees, Braves, Tigers, Padres, etc, is a bit thicker to begin with and looks better, I think.

40 minutes ago, Quillz said:

That's my problem with it, I find it too thin. The Royals either use a little-seen thicker variant, or they just have a color matching outline. Either way, I feel the numbers almost require some kind of outline to look good. The other common variant, seen on the Yankees, Braves, Tigers, Padres, etc, is a bit thicker to begin with and looks better, I think.

The other teams you mentioned use a standard block (More football-y and serified), but with teams like the Royal, Shi who seem to have the thicker variant, I believe they use the background/outline layer (or the version intended for use with kiss-cut outlines).. The inner angles make it a bit too busy/rounded for football (along with the thinness), but I still love the font (15 especially)..

I’m a big fan of MLB block standard (regular and the serif version the Twins and retro Brewers use), while also liking Wilson varsity (what the Tigers, Braves, Yankees, and Padres use) to an extent. The only block font I really have a problem with in the majors is the Nationals, as thin logos/scripts don’t mesh well with thick slab-serif numbers. Block Standard or Wilson Varsity would improve the look.

I will never be unable to unsee the Twins numbers again. Never occurred to me it was a serifed block standard. 

On 11/3/2018 at 11:15 AM, Ray Lankford said:

I'd like to see them bring back sleeved jerseys for players who wear shirts under their jerseys. This is awful:

Anthony-Davis-has-been-heavily-involved-

Agreed for sleeved jerseys! If it ever happens again and players don't like it, then at least have shirts under the jersey that match the colors of the uniform in use (or franchise colors).

7 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Four teams with red and black in the NBA is one too many.

Unless we're splitting hairs about Atlanta's "anthracite", I think it's five. Bulls and Blazers are fine. Wish Heat would brighten the red and/or bring back orange as tertiary, but they're decent...I won't complain if they go Miami Vice full-time one day though. Hawks need to either play up the volt green a lot more or drop it and bring back yellow, with black as tertiary. Raptors desperately need to bring purple back. Right now they're so boring and generic.

One could almost count Houston as a sixth in this category these days, given their heavy use of the black alt and lack of emphasis on silver and yellow. And, really, the Cavs aren't far from this either. They wear red a bunch and black a bunch, and yellow is basically trim-only by this point, with navy barely there at all. 

The NBA needs to diversify its designs and color schemes and, conversely, encourage its teams to keep alt designs within their own colorways - Jazz, Nuggets and Heat have unveiled good ones that go outside their usual themes, but Utah and Miami were geography-related and Denver was a fauxback, so...I mean, other than these, I'd just say dial way back on black and grey for new unis.

I am guessing this is unpopular...

I don't like the throwback Saints jersey worn yesterday.  The "gold" is too close to copper.  I prefer the current primary.

(or is this the primary, now?)

4 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I don't like the throwback Saints jersey worn yesterday.  The "gold" is too close to copper.  I prefer the current primary.

I will say that the uni falls a bit flat with the saturated jersey colors vs. the almost tan helmet shell.

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

I like the copper/brassy look better than the tan. Wish the whole regular uniform used the darker gold.