Unpopular Opinions

On 12/9/2018 at 11:47 AM, Ark said:

I like both of the options above, but I hate this modern trend

JDoyy1Y.jpg

On 12/11/2018 at 11:57 AM, Ark said:

Skinny stirrups that turn into/are worn as socks.

This is when stirrups are at their best:

Psx10SN.jpg

I dunno about this... Chris Taylor is wearing shorter pants to intentionally show off the color of his stirrups, the team color of blue... By having longer pants McGwire almost looks like he's trying to hide the green and gold of his stirrups/socks. And I know that was the style of the times and still looks good but having the pants at that length makes it look like when you're a kid and you start growing and your mom hasn't bought new pants yet so you put on pants that are now smaller than they should be and your socks are only showing because your pants no longer fit you correctly. I know it's a different time period I do think this looks better...

Image result for oakland a's stirrups road uniform

• Like 3

On 12/11/2018 at 11:57 AM, Ark said:

Skinny stirrups that turn into/are worn as socks.

This is when stirrups are at their best:

Psx10SN.jpg

You know the purpose of stirrups is to actually act as the socks right? The only reason for the socks underneath is the toxic dyes used to color the stirrups back in the day.. if the dyes were safer, they would've just worn colored socks, and baseball stirrups likely wouldn't exist at all..

I agree that the stirrup look is a great baseball aesthetic, but it's a derivative of an attempted solid-sock look from the past..

• Like 2

On 12/7/2018 at 11:24 PM, SabresRule7361 said:

If the Islanders had used this jersey originall in 1995-96 without the Fishsticks logo, I think it would have gone over better

Ironically, I think the Fisherman is what makes those jerseys. Seeing them with the normal logo is just... off-putting. It doesn't mesh well with the '90s-tastic design.

• Like 3

53Ocz8U.png

On 12/18/2018 at 7:49 PM, BellaSpurs said:

I’m ok with jersey ads, aslong as they look ok, when their team colors and not so big they look fine. Such as NBA and MLS, however WNBA is what is the ugly, when the add is bigger than the wordmark, then its an issue

I 100% agree. I think when done properly, they look fine. I think the NBA actually does it the best. For example, the Cavs' Goodyear foot thing looks fine, as long as it's recolored to match the jersey. The Bucks and Kings look kinda bad, since the logos don't match the jerseys. The Knicks, Lakers, Wolves, Jazz, and Magic have all done it right. A small, inconsequential logo recolored to match the team's colors. I think the MLS and WNBA get it all wrong, however. Never, and I mean never, should an ad be the most important thing on a jersey. It should always be the team/city (I prefer the city) taking precedence. Obviously it can look good, but I will never consider MLS jerseys "great" until the city/name is front and center.

• Like 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I 100% agree. I think when done properly, they look fine. I think the NBA actually does it the best. For example, the Cavs' Goodyear foot thing looks fine, as long as it's recolored to match the jersey. The Bucks and Kings look kinda bad, since the logos don't match the jerseys. The Knicks, Lakers, Wolves, Jazz, and Magic have all done it right. A small, inconsequential logo recolored to match the team's colors. I think the MLS and WNBA get it all wrong, however. Never, and I mean never, should an ad be the most important thing on a jersey. It should always be the team/city (I prefer the city) taking precedence. Obviously it can look good, but I will never consider MLS jerseys "great" until the city/name is front and center.

I think soccer gets an excuse, i actually quite dislike soccer jerseys with team names or cities plastered on the front, looks less professional for the sport, call me a hypocrite i know lol

• Like 1

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

52 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

I think soccer gets an excuse, i actually quite dislike soccer jerseys with team names or cities plastered on the front, looks less professional for the sport, call me a hypocrite i know lol

I know it's a tradition for soccer at this point, but I hate it when a team tries to emphasize something other than the city that they're from. To me it kinda says "We take you for granted. We're gonna show you more of us, instead of showing where we're from." It's why I honestly really enjoy the City jerseys in the NBA, most (*cough* Hornets *cough*) actually represent where they're from. (Honestly, nobody says "Buzz City". We have a perfectly good nickname, but nope, the Hornets are trying a force on us a nickname that sounds like the city's constantly drunk.) 

Back to the matter at hand, even if it's different, it's something I'd like to see the sport try. Maybe the MLS could do a special "Hometown Weekend" where each team wears the city name on the front, rather than an ad. I just think that the ads can get in the way of some excellent jersey design, like interrupting the stripes for the Galaxy, or the massive off-color "Bimbo" for the Union. A city work mark could be uniquely incorporated into the design, since there's no branding standards to keep, no logo to accurately portray. Placing the ads to where the NBA puts them (or better yet, removing them altogether) could make some MLS jerseys look even better.

• Like 1

Well agree to disagree @QueenCitySwarm

Although for NBA, City jerseys in theory, should be really nice. But instead its a mess. Im somewhat of a traditionalist for sports uniforms (for the most part) and i hate all this nike stuff, jerseys that arent team colors, Bfbs and gfgs, and all the weird patterns and oideas. 

A team, lets say the Cavs, should have a white, maroon, gold, throwback or black jersey and im not against the idea of a earned jersey. 

Not; White, maroon, black, blue/orange, white/babyblue.

• Like 1

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

3 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Well agree to disagree @QueenCitySwarm

Although for NBA, City jerseys in theory, should be really nice. But instead its a mess. Im somewhat of a traditionalist for sports uniforms (for the most part) and i hate all this nike stuff, jerseys that arent team colors, Bfbs and gfgs, and all the weird patterns and oideas. 

A team, lets say the Cavs, should have a white, maroon, gold, throwback or black jersey and im not against the idea of a earned jersey. 

Not; White, maroon, black, blue/orange, white/babyblue.

Oh yeah, the amount of jerseys the NBA has is a mess right now. Give me four at most: Home (White), Away (Primary Color), "City" (Alternate, based on the city), and Throwback (For some teams, not all). I think Nike's been kinda running it into the ground right now, but the idea is there. The problem is the abundance of jerseys (I bet teams don't want to repeat colors), so the City ones kinda get the bottom of the barrel. If they were the regular alternates (and didn't change every year), we'd see better, more fitting jerseys.

For example - The Hornets get four jerseys: home (white, says "Hornets"), away (teal, says "Charlotte"), city (purple, says "Charlotte" or "Queen City", maybe includes a famous landmark like Bank of America Center or a skyline pattern on the shorts), and a throwback (really away color, just take it from the 90s).

Not every team would have a throwback, but every team has at least three jerseys to keep a close brand that is still reflective of where they're from. 

• Like 2

I’m not really sure this is “Unpopular” anymore after the unveiling of their Current disaster sets, but the Titans old set was a good, solid uniform. It was, in my opinion, some red accents and their old Social Media number font away from being a great set.

Titans_Jaguars_Football.JPG.jpg

• Like 11

da0Lbhs.png

4 hours ago, simtek34 said:

I’m not really sure this is “Unpopular” anymore after the unveiling of their Current disaster sets, but the Titans old set was a good, solid uniform. It was, in my opinion, some red accents and their old Social Media number font away from being a great set.

Titans_Jaguars_Football.JPG.jpg

Tennessee Titans v Kansas City Chiefs : News Photo

St Louis Rams v Tennessee Titans : News Photo

New England Patriots v Tennessee Titans : News PhotoTennessee Titans v Jacksonville Jaguars : News PhotoWashington Redskins v Tennessee Titans : News Photo

Tennessee Titans v Miami Dolphins : News Photo

Idk. The new look isn't perfect and could use some tweaking, but I think it's a stronger look overall. The new helmet especially is a much better fit. The white one was always weak looking to me. Just my unpopular opinion.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, daveindc said:

New England Patriots v Tennessee Titans : News Photo

Tennessee Titans v Miami Dolphins : News Photo

Idk. The new look isn't perfect and could use some tweaking, but I think it's a stronger look overall. The new helmet especially is a much better fit. The white one was always weak looking to me. Just my unpopular opinion.

I admit I like the newer font better, and that the numbers on the columbia jersey are now navy to differ more from UNC. Everything else, especially the inclusion of silver, is a downgrade for me unfortunately.

I will say, I like how the navy helmets seem to refect the clouds in the sky very well (as seen in the two pictures I quoted above), a very “Titan-esque” feature. If the helmets were light blue, that sky effect would be even better.