College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

8-team playoff would be a joke.. It would turn into an injury-fest and the final teams standing would be battered.. To compare a collision sport like football to a non-contact sport like basketball is laughable.. And the huge March madness brackets drive me crazy too.. It's just a money-maker.. And just because "people like it" doesn't mean it's what we should base something else on.. For decades we let a poll pick the champion, then we were fine with the top 2, and now that we're finally to top-4, people are clamoring for 8.. If we ever go to 8, it'll be 16.. It'll continue until we're playing 24-game seasons and everyone makes the playoffs.. If you're not capable of getting into the top 4, you don't deserve a shot most seasons.. I think it was pretty clear this year that the top 2 were head-and-shoulders above the rest.. Last year, not so much, but the committee showed their ability to get it right by putting OSU in there over TCU, and them going on to win it.

Yeah...the FCS has dropped its playoff because of all the reasons you mentioned. Injuries galore in the FCS. Mainly just the fourth string backups by the time the FCS championship game happens...but seriously, there won't be any more injuries than you'd see in any other three-game stretch of the season. Complaining about injuries is about as bad an excuse as saying "A playoff isn't possible because our kids have to study." Should we cancel the NFL's playoff system too because of all the injuries that lead up to the Super Bowl?

And anyone who thinks basketball is "non-contac"t has never played or watched basketball. We've seen basketball players tear up their knees and break their legs in the tournament.

For decades we had co-champions and non-title bowls thanks to the polls, and then we were so "fine" with the top 2 BCS system that everyone complained and openly asked for a playoff. A 2-team final game was never really the answer. I think we've seen how great a 4-team playoff is. I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA moves to a 6-team or 8-team playoff in the next 5-10 years.

The March Madness brackets are just a money-maker? You do realize the brackets have been around for decades, right? The college basketball tournament is just as traditional as your beloved bowl games (speaking of "just money-makers").

Who said I love bowl games? I think there are far too many and they simply dilute the pool of talented teams playing.. But again, you're supporting my point.. Too much football being played for the sake of it (or for the sake of making more money).. I wouldn't be surprised either if they go to a larger playoff, but it will be for the purpose of making money, not to give a truer chance for the best team to emerge.. And adding an additional 3 games to the end of the season is different from any other three game stretch because it's ADDED.. That's an additional three games, not to mention that they're being played after the players are more physically beaten up and more stresses have been placed on their body, PLUS it will cut down on the pre-bowl recovery time, thus further increasing chance for injury prevalence.. And yes, I understand that brackets have existed for quite a while.. In fact, you can devise brackets to extend to placing more than just top-2 (waiting on March madness to add those additional games for more revenue, maybe place top 8 before too long).. And as for basketball being a contact sport, are you serious? That may be the just outrageous claim I've ever seen I these boards.. Comparing basketball contact to football- get real.. I guess baseball is a contact sport too since injuries happen in that sport as well.. If you graze a players arm it's a foul - much different from a sport that encourages high speed collisions

Tell me basketball players don't wear padded undergarmets and I'll tell you basketball is a non-contact sport. Seriously...watch the game sometime. You'll be amazed at the contact (charges, elbows, dives, collisions, knee-on-knee...it's all there). Pretending that's it's not is downright foolish.

Adding three additional games? With an 8-team playoff, it's only two additional games (max) compared to the current system, as the top 8 would be playing one additional game anyway in a bowl. But statistically, it really is no different than any other stretch of the season. Considering that injuries are primarily bad luck, injuries can happen just as easily at the beginning of the season as they can at the end of the season. Someone who works in athletics probably should understand that.

They wear padded undergarments because they don't like hitting their bony hips on the hardwood floor.. That doesn't make it a contact sport.. Also, the charges, elbows, other nonsense you listed is all ILLEGAL.. A properly played game is non-contact.. Since you think I should know what I'm talking about, perhaps you should take my word for it.. I played college football on a couple conference championship teams and won an NCAA national wrestling title.. I know a thing or two about contact sports and how injuries can accumulate over a long and rigorous season.. A stress fracture that goes undetected until the stress wears on it too much, then becomes a compound fracture, is a late-season injury.. There's a reason pro football teams don't play 162 games like pro baseball teams, or even 82 like basketball.. The sport is inherently dangerous and physically demanding on the human body.. The almost month-long layoff between the regular season and bowl games is why these teams are able to be somewhat close to full-strength.. Eliminate that recovery time, and you're just asking for more injuries.. Perhaps if you actually worked closely with a college program rather than relying on what you see and hear on tv, you'd understand the intricacies of these issues more thoroughly.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TCU looks great in purple/purple/white, despite the frogskin pattern. Oregon isn't that bad either (mono white).

Why did designated "home teams" like Ohio State yesterday and Arkansas today wear white jerseys?

Ohio State wore white by choice.

http://m.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/m/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/122815aab.html

He's not asking if they did, he's asking why.

Why did designated "home teams" like Ohio State yesterday and Arkansas today wear white jerseys?

Which he answered, as the article states the Buckeyes did by choice. Ohio State has history wearing white - including winning the 2003 BCS National Championship - at the Fiesta Bowl.

Talking about the Oregon uniforms, the dark jersey that they showed when they unveiled the white one was a very dark grey with black sleeve caps and a black collar. I'm assuming all of the jerseys in the new set will follow the same pattern, with collars and sleeve caps a different color than the main body of the uniform. I personally think the uniforms as a whole look really good on the field. I can deal with the sleeve caps and I don't mind the grey since they use it often, and I'm glad that green and yellow are prevalent. The wing pattern and number font I'm indifferent to but overall I'm starting to like the new design a little more. I like that they went with a little more subtle design, with the wings the same color as the base of the uniform, but there are still plenty of modern and futuristic touches that follow the pattern of Oregon's uniforms. Also, the wings seem to have a similar sheen to them as the white helmets.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Talking about the Oregon uniforms, the dark jersey that they showed when they unveiled the white one was a very dark grey with black sleeve caps and a black collar. I'm assuming all of the jerseys in the new set will follow the same pattern, with collars and sleeve caps a different color than the main body of the uniform. I personally think the uniforms as a whole look really good on the field. I can deal with the sleeve caps and I don't mind the grey since they use it often, and I'm glad that green and yellow are prevalent. The wing pattern and number font I'm indifferent to but overall I'm starting to like the new design a little more. I like that they went with a little more subtle design, with the wings the same color as the base of the uniform, but there are still plenty of modern and futuristic touches that follow the pattern of Oregon's uniforms. Also, the wings seem to have a similar sheen to them as the white helmets.

I'm liking the uniform as a whole as well.. I just wish the numbers weren't so reflective.. They become difficult to see when the white light is reflecting off them on a white jersey

TCU looks great in purple/purple/white, despite the frogskin pattern. Oregon isn't that bad either (mono white).

Bielema chose for us to wear white because he said we played our best football this year on the road in those uniforms.

First thoughts on Oregon's look:

Template: I really like the seamless look, and even though Adidas has been doing this for years, the elements of the jersey(so far) aren't warped and altered. I'll need to see others with this template, but so far, so good.

Uniform: The jury is still out for me on this one. The font is an improvement on previous years, but seems somewhat off, for some reason. I'm not sold on the gray sleeve caps and collar, but matching pants might justify them, so I'll hold off judgement. The wings in the shoulders are real subtle, which might be due to the indoor lights, but I like them. I also really like the helmet finish, and the beveled logo doesn't make much of an impact, so it's take it or leave it for me.

Overall, this seems like a good start for the Ducks. There's a decent push for Kelly Green which is what I've been waiting for. Of course, combinations can make or break the look, but this is a decent starting point.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Interesting how Oregon's foil number treatment doesn't get the same complaints as when adidas does it on their seamless jerseys...

It's annoying me a bit. I think because we don't see the numbers change colors like adidas does, people aren't as annoyed. They also don't have stripes with slashes that make no sense like UCLA has. They do catch the light though.

TCU looks horrible. Plain white pants, huge white collar, and huge white helmet stripe. They used to look so nice.

I don't like the frogskin but if they went to a smaller collar or used black instead it would improve these.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Oregon doesnt look like oregon, and I havent decided if I like it or not. Im the only that thinks the Alamo Bowl has the best looking turf, including endzones but the turf looks fantastic.

a2BRS8U.png

080ac603ae44426d433f90c8a10fd650_zpshggy

I'm the biggest Duck fan youll meet and I'm saying these uniforms are garbage. The font is terrible, invisible(?) shoulder wings, awful shade of green, boring template and pants...just looks like a Chinese knockoff to me. I've bought every jersey they put out and will not be buying any of these.

Archived