Unused Logos and Uniforms

Recently bought this on ebay 

Image 3 - Reebok Super Bowl XXXVI Champions 2002 Sample Cap Hat Adjustable

Image 31 - Reebok Super Bowl XXXVI Champions 2002 Sample Cap Hat Adjustable

s-l1600.jpg

Apparently a Prototype version of the Super Bowl XXXVI Champions hat. 

The Font on the Backstrap is different (a holdover from the original XXXVI logo?)

And the logo is on the right side instead of on the brim. 

Not going to lie, I like this design a lot more. I like the Numerals with the flag design and the stars on the brim. Which also matches the Conference Champions Hats having the AFC/NFC logo on the same spot. 

Really wish they went with this design. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Inside Pitch by Rick Allen shows off a better angle of the previously-known Seattle Pilots prototype.

963-C3884-5-F9-E-4318-9621-710-FB4-BE907

I like it more than the finalized design.

I like it more than the final design as well. The jersey looks great, and the cap logo is better than what they went with. I wonder why the opted for the generic block 'S' instead? The one in this photo represents the pilot theme perfectly.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

That's actually a neat idea, but it feels totally inappropriate for the Sixers. Something along those lines could have worked for Memphis if they had switched to a music-based identity instead of keeping the Grizzlies name.

That's a good point. Also, while I love the style, I wonder how easily it could've been adapted for last names of varying lengths. For example, I wonder how they would've handled last names like those of Sixers Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot and Manute Bol. I guess we'll never know. :) 

ADDING TO THIS POST: 

I just read Lukas' blog on this, and it made me curious. Maybe one of you would know this, but when teams dip their toes in the water (so to speak) on a rebranding process, do they ever just toss it out to multiple creative agencies at once to see what comes back? I'm struck by the experience of this one designer, who appears to have received zero feedback prior to the project being cancelled. 

I'm left to wonder whether the team just didn't like what it saw from this agency's concepts and decided not to make any changes? Or whether they just kept farming out the work until they got something they liked.

Because as we know, the Sixers never made any substantive changes until the gradient disasters of '91, the final Barkley year. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Interesting article about some rejected proposals for what eventually became the New York Rangers' "Lady Liberty" third jerseys. These designs were shown on the MSG Network pregame show before the debut of the final product in 1997.

My personal favorite of the bunch:

spacer.png

https://www.sbnation.com/secret-base/22248386/new-york-rangers-1990s-alternate-jersey-designs-nhl

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Holy Christ that is a special kind of awful.

It would've taken one of the best alternate jerseys in league history and turned it into an easy frontrunner for the worst jersey of all time.

• Like 4

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 3/15/2022 at 11:02 PM, Lights Out said:

Interesting article about some rejected proposals for what eventually became the New York Rangers' "Lady Liberty" third jerseys. These designs were shown on the MSG Network pregame show before the debut of the final product in 1997.

My personal favorite of the bunch:

spacer.png

https://www.sbnation.com/secret-base/22248386/new-york-rangers-1990s-alternate-jersey-designs-nhl

I get it, I get it, the 90's were the era for loud and oversized designs, but this is TOO loud and oversized. I'm sure you could see that logo from the International Space Station.

• Like 1

rAUPGPZ.png

On 12/29/2021 at 7:36 PM, DTConcepts said:

A supposed Rangers Reverse Retro prototype has popped up on eBay.

I know I'm a few months late on this, but I don't think that was an early reverse retro design and more likely the rumored new third jersey that was planned. I seem to remember hearing about that years ago and then nothing ever came out from it.

• 1 month later...

I’m not sure where to post this, but I think this is the best place to mention this, but apparently there was a Baltimore Ravens “Throwback” quickly-pulled-from-production mini helmet that had the 1996-98 front-facing swooping bird on it (the same one that adorned the sleeves in that same timeframe) on eBay. (Sorry, as well—I got outbid on it. Lousy timing, ending during my work shift.)

This brings up a few intriguing questions: Did the Ravens ever plan on using this logo? Was it after the logo lawsuit, or was it supposed to be the primary logo?  Is this the closest the Ravens could legally get to the winged B-Shield, or was this a fabrication from someone wanting to trick someone into buying it?

Here are the screenshots for reference:

DlMjnh5.png

z1MVVpc.png

1in7QZd.png

Similarly, there was a 1993-94 Jacksonville Jaguars Leaping Jaguar mini helmet that was on Ebay. While most people here know about the original unused Jaguars helmet and logo, what’s interesting is that on the bottom of the box where all 30 teams (as of 1995), the Jaguars were in the NFC “West” while the Panthers were in the AFC Central. Was this the original plan for the 1995 expansion?

Here's the screenshot of the division from the Jaguars helmet listing:

4154faG.png

Apologies if the images don't show up or if there's some kind of policy where I shouldn't post these, but this is in case the links don't work and are just to make sure that these images remain after the (already ended) eBay listings are taken down.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

Similarly, there was a 1993-94 Jacksonville Jaguars Leaping Jaguar mini helmet that was on Ebay. While most people here know about the original unused Jaguars helmet and logo, what’s interesting is that on the bottom of the box where all 30 teams (as of 1995), the Jaguars were in the NFC “West” while the Panthers were in the AFC Central. Was this the original plan for the 1995 expansion?

The Panthers were always meant to be in the NFC and the Jags were always in the AFC.  Whoever made the list on the box must have goofed.

I forgot how goofy the NFC alignment used to be with Phoenix in the East and Atlanta in the West.

• Like 1