Unused Logos and Uniforms

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Cujo said:

I'm just finding out about this. 👀

hqdefault.jpg

Anyone know if any logos/merch were produced?

It's unlikely anything was produced before the name changed to "Hornets" after the naming contest; if I had to guess, "Spirit" was probably just a preliminary name like how "Flamingos" was an early name for the Marlins and "Rangers" was a preliminary name for the Cowboys.

Spirit was the first name and intended to be the actual name of the team but fans absolutely hated it so the team ran a Name-the-Team Contest and Hornets won. I can't remember all of the other finalists but one of them was Knights, which became the name of the George Shinn-owned then-Charlotte Orioles baseball team.

• Like 6

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 11/22/2022 at 12:10 PM, TheRealPepman said:

Was lurking at eBay and Reddit (r/hockeyjerseys) the other day and found a  few prototypes worth sharing. Photos are credited to their original owners of course.

New York Islanders 

UThRrDI.png

Interesting. I would love to see what year these prototypes are from.. I am guessing it is no earlier than 2005-06 (see silver NHL logo)

2 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Interesting. I would love to see what year these prototypes are from.. I am guessing it is no earlier than 2005-06 (see silver NHL logo)

Well that also has an adidas-style collar, so probably around the same time their current alternate went into production. Both use alternative NY logos, and are kinda just slightly different styles for the Isles

• Like 3

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 4/9/2023 at 7:02 PM, Cujo said:

hqdefault.jpg

Another fun aside, the Heat were going to be the Florida Heat, but when the NBA accepted both the Magic and Heat they went with Miami. 

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 4/9/2023 at 9:02 PM, Cujo said:

hqdefault.jpg

They made the choice with Hornets.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this fits here considering the circumstances, but I thought I recalled Buck wearing this custom "B" cap (derived from the "Baltimore" script) at some BPs or spring training.

https://fanrecap.com/b-is-for-buck-showalter-reportedly-wanted-os-to-have-b-road-cap/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR34EX2vGSc4m-bV-Xry87bhvK9gDVbeQtyoV8PSHRuyY2-a7O5IsFrT4qY

I do understand the team's stance on trying to avoid clash and confusion with the Red Sox hats and their Boston "B". Though, I'd like to think this could have worked for the same purposes above between BP, spring training, and/or if push comes to shove, fashion caps in retail. That way, you don't run into the issue of both teams wearing B's in a regular-season or playoff game at Fenway, for instance.

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I came across someone selling a book that was used by the Nets when they were pitching Carmelo Anthony to sign with them as a UFA. This was when they were prepping for their move to Brooklyn, but hadn't completed their rebrand. It includes an unused Brooklyn jersey in the old Nets colours photoshopped onto Carmelo.

spacer.png

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I came across someone selling a book that was used by the Nets when they were pitching Carmelo Anthony to sign with them as a UFA. This was when they were prepping for their move to Brooklyn, but hadn't completed their rebrand. It includes an unused Brooklyn jersey in the old Nets colours photoshopped onto Carmelo.

spacer.png

The Nets really should have kept that design.  The change of uniform and logo upon the move was a huge downgrade.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Right around that same time, I was a reporter covering the footwear/apparel industry and spent part of a day with the president of Adidas' north american business. He had a full book of Brooklyn Nets concepts in his office that he let me peek through. I couldn't take pictures or take notes of it, but it was the first place I remember seeing sleeved jerseys as an idea. There were also concepts that used rust/orange and black as a color base. It was a pretty cool experience, even if I couldn't write about it at the time. 

• Like 1

Not to double post, but there's two things I wanted to share that are unrelated. This next one is the Premier Lacrosse League that posted original concepts of their original 6 teams, which can be seen here. I think more often than not, they went in a direction better than the concept. Although the thin lines on Atlas and Redwoods look pretty sweet.
pll-logos.jpg

F8_KxnRXgAAe2gW?format=jpg&name=large

F8_Ky0ZWQAAZl3S?format=jpg&name=large

F8_Kz47W4AEMacr?format=jpg&name=large

F8_K01xXwAA0uFQ?format=jpg&name=large

F8_K1pcXsAA-u7y?format=jpg&name=large

F8_K2gTXsAAGx1W?format=jpg&name=large

and as a bonus, here's the original team name concepts before they landed on Whipsnakes

• WOAH 1