NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Apparently, rape kits in Erie County never go into paper bags; they go into cardboard boxes. Why in the hell did they let everybody freak out for two days before letting that slip?

They didn't. The police released a statement shortly after the initial paper bag press conference stating that the chain of custody of the evidence was, in their words, unassailable. The media and certain social media posters just chose to ignore that because it gets in the way of them condemning Kane no matter the result of the case. If the evidence doesn't fit your narrative, just ignore it!

Don't forget the recent trend of prominent instances of police departments "losing"/falsifying/misrepresenting evidence in order to further their own aims. The cops don't exactly get taken at their word anymore thanks to that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Apparently, rape kits in Erie County never go into paper bags; they go into cardboard boxes. Why in the hell did they let everybody freak out for two days before letting that slip?

They didn't. The police released a statement shortly after the initial paper bag press conference stating that the chain of custody of the evidence was, in their words, unassailable. The media and certain social media posters just chose to ignore that because it gets in the way of them condemning Kane no matter the result of the case. If the evidence doesn't fit your narrative, just ignore it!
There's a difference between saying, "We got it; it's all good" and "That's wacky... the rape kits don't even go in bags!" The second is more helpful.
  • Like 1

Don't forget the recent trend of prominent instances of police departments "losing"/falsifying/misrepresenting evidence in order to further their own aims. The cops don't exactly get taken at their word anymore thanks to that.

OK, I'll grant you that, but the moment the accuser's attorney went out there and suggested tampering, lots of people immediately suggested that there was some massive conspiracy out there to help Kane because they desperately want him to look as guilty as possible because him being guilty fits their agenda.

That being said, in most of the cases you're talking about, the evidence is "lost"/falsified/misrepresented in order to further implicate a suspect. The fact that a story about supposed tampering came out right after rumors of Kane's DNA not being found on the alleged victim's genitalia and then the police immediately clarified that there couldn't have been tampering doesn't really fit with that.

There's a difference between saying, "We got it; it's all good" and "That's wacky... the rape kits don't even go in bags!" The second is more helpful.

Point taken.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Everyone's praising Sedita for his mad dad dressing-down this morning, but getting angry after the fact doesn't excuse his office leaking like a cheap kiddie pool for nearly two months. He's managed this case poorly, too; he just comes out looking good by comparison after Thursday's antics.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

OK, I'll grant you that, but the moment the accuser's attorney went out there and suggested tampering, lots of people immediately suggested that there was some massive conspiracy out there to help Kane because they desperately want him to look as guilty as possible because him being guilty fits their agenda.

Something I struggled with was the idea that the bag was planted by a "good Samaritan" blowing the whistle on tampering going on back at the station. Did this strike anyone else as a leap? Because it was presented here in town as the obvious conclusion at first. My first reaction was that it was meant to intimidate the family, that we know who you are and we know where you live and we got to your evidence and there's no telling how far our tentacles reach. Wouldn't someone with good intentions just tell the family something's up instead of staging something that looks menacing? Then it turned out it was just the mom being crazy.

I'm rather dismayed that anonymous internet trolls (and I speak as an anonymous internet troll, these are my people here) have allowed sections of our media to move the goalposts from "something must be done about this entitled alcoholic millionaire" to "something must be done about these dorks on the internet." But like I've pointed out in the past, The Movement always has a way of circling back to that easiest of prey, the dorks on the internet. It's like when you're playing Final Fantasy VI and you need to level up before you face a big boss so you go back to an earlier region to fight battles and gain experience points and perhaps I've said too much. When people were going after Kane, at least there were some meaningful dialogues to be had about the shortcomings of the criminal justice system as it pertains to the wealthy, connected, and preternaturally talented. But going after twitter trolls because you went back and forth talking crap until one said "bitch i knwo where you live" and you hit the panic button? Come on, we've all been down this road before, and it only goes in circles. Even I've been threatened by crazy people on the internet, right on this here board, and while it certainly wasn't my idea of pleasant, I can concede that I probably shouldn't have been goading a crazy person. It sucks, because Julie DiCaro seems like a nice and bright person, and she had a very thoughtful column about her own rape and how it's affected her worldview, but for the station to all but anoint her their Rape Expert and let her do freelance twitter journalism while inciting people like a shock jock was irresponsible, and made her into the story now that the original story doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. Or maybe that's what they wanted. I don't think it's serving anyone well, though.

I guess I just don't "get" twitter and how important it can be. It just seems like a cesspool of inchoate thoughts, grandstanding, and death threats. What crap.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I guess I just don't "get" twitter and how important it can be. It just seems like a cesspool of inchoate thoughts, grandstanding, and death threats. What crap.

I thought I "got" twitter myself, but I guess because the audience is a la carte, most sensible twitter folks never see the trash that lives in the underbelly. It's kind of shocking to be reminded that there are in fact people who willingly use their account to post blatantly racist, sexist, trolling comments.

FWIW I had a brief correspondence with Julie a few years ago when I did some design stuff for her then-project. She was nice to work with and I enjoyed reading her Cubs columns. I was kind of surprised when I saw she was heading to the Score, but then when I realized she would be anchoring the update chair during B&B, it kind of all made sense. I don't know Dan, and I'm speculating I'm better off never knowing him, but her hiring felt like his move to re-align the sexism issues he self-induced recently, and the timing w/ the Kane thing couldn't have been any better for either of them. Unfortunately like most WSCR people who have any kind of direct relationship with Bernstein, they do their best to follow his example, and she too has been using Twitter in some pretty unflattering ways. That's all just my own personal speculation and random observations.

The other problem with this is social media's inability to talk about an occurrence inside of a bubble. A singular act immediately is melded into the larger issue. Kane vs. Accuser could've been the OJ Simpson trial for rape victims, but now that it's falling apart we need to all discuss the impact this thing has on rape culture in our society.

I dunno. It's late and I'm talking out of my ass.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Something I struggled with was the idea that the bag was planted by a "good Samaritan" blowing the whistle on tampering going on back at the station. Did this strike anyone else as a leap? Because it was presented here in town as the obvious conclusion at first. My first reaction was that it was meant to intimidate the family, that we know who you are and we know where you live and we got to your evidence and there's no telling how far our tentacles reach. Wouldn't someone with good intentions just tell the family something's up instead of staging something that looks menacing? Then it turned out it was just the mom being crazy.

It was presented as the lead theory because the attorney representing the alleged victim went out of his way during that Wednesday presser to state that it was their belief the bag was planted by a Good Samaritan. I don't know what circles you heard or read "obviously, it was a Good Samaritan" in and nothing else, but what I heard and read certainly did not dismiss the idea of it as intimidation.

Also, CS85: I can say with a minimum of 90% certainty that Dan Bernstein is not making any hiring decisions at The Score. "Get me a woman in the update booth so I can save some face after I went all boobs-crazy" is not how that hire was made.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It was presented as the lead theory because the attorney representing the alleged victim went out of his way during that Wednesday presser to state that it was their belief the bag was planted by a Good Samaritan. I don't know what circles you heard or read "obviously, it was a Good Samaritan" in and nothing else, but what I heard and read certainly did not dismiss the idea of it as intimidation.

Also, CS85: I can say with a minimum of 90% certainty that Dan Bernstein is not making any hiring decisions at The Score. "Get me a woman in the update booth so I can save some face after I went all boobs-crazy" is not how that hire was made.

Perhaps the craziest thing about that first press conference with the accuser's attorney was he said he had never considered whether or not it could be a hoax. Sounds like he takes things at face value; must not be good at cross-examination.

I don't know how widely this is known, but the Buffalo News reports that when the nurse found out the girl changed her shirt, she gave the mother a paper bag with the official sticker on it to get the shirt from the incident. That's where the bag came from.

I was hoping you could shed some light on this one. I feel a bit better about the world in that case.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I was hoping you could shed some light on this one. I feel a bit better about the world in that case.

It seemed like coincidental timing to me... Kerry Sayers seemed to go out the same time as DiCaro came in. Sayers always seemed to be a Mac-influenced hire.

But all the "WGN The Game" stuff that DiCaro came from and a bunch of other Scoreheads left for makes things much more confusing for me.

How the hell does Kap & Haugh survive that purge? That is bad TV and radio.

Both just got fired and Kaplan went to 1000.

I don't think the man himself hired anyone, but I do suspect station management decided it would be expedient to hire a highly accomplished woman after their star host said he only cares about women in sportscasting for their giant boobs (and then slut-shamed another woman journalist). Now he's the one to lecture Chicago on why Blackhawks fans are loathsome enablers of rape culture. Now it's the Score who's eating ass. B)

How the hell did I miss that? :)

I guess because that show wasn't on anywhere but CSN Chicago every time I was in the mood for Beer Money. It's out of my rotation on TV other than live games.

But that tells me I should probably expand my range beyond 670 & 780 on the dial. Bulls season is coming.

EDIT: Just read the story. Kap needs to get out more, too: "I'm getting an opportunity to go to the four greatest letters in sports, E-S-P-N." L-O-L.

Look, if the NHL's going to keep turning a blind eye to drug abuse, at least limit cocaine to the forwards and restrict defensemen to painkillers only, so I can get some faster skating and more scoring out of this Faustian bargain.

MEANWHILE IN NEWS ADMIRAL WAS TELLING US ALL ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO AND NOW EVERYONE'S CATCHING UP ON

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2015/9/27/9404235/theres-a-lot-of-cocaine-in-the-nhl-viktor-loov-tells-swedish-news

All’s I know is that back in the 80’s, most of us players wore out our noses on the cocaine. So, most of my last team – veterans pretty much – had to resort to snorting up our arses.

You know, I heard this same thing happened to Stevie Nicks. Can you imagine being the roadie whose job it was to put coke up Stevie Nicks's ass? I'm not sure whether that's the best Fleetwood Mac-related job or the worst.
  • Like 2

Look, if the NHL's going to keep turning a blind eye to drug abuse, at least limit cocaine to the forwards and restrict defensemen to painkillers only, so I can get some faster skating and more scoring out of this Faustian bargain.

I'd imagine a goaltender would have pretty quick reflexes while on methamphetamine.

...and made her into the story now that the original story doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. Or maybe that's what they wanted. I don't think it's serving anyone well, though.

That is absolutely what they wanted. She was writing articles 45 people read and reading score updates on the radio, and now people have heard of her across the country. DiCaro will get a nice career out of it. Sarah Spain got a national gig out of nothing more than being cute and having large breasts, and ESPN trots her out a few times a year on the main channel to cover women's issues when Jamelle Hill is busy or the story is beneath her. Julie got a feature story on Deadspin and is apparently quoted there regularly now. She's positioning herself to be the "rape expert," and I wouldn't be surprised if she starts showing up on ESPN every time there's an athlete rape case. She's made a name for herself on this case. And that's not to say that she in any way deserved death threats, but they'll end up helping her career.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

...and made her into the story now that the original story doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. Or maybe that's what they wanted. I don't think it's serving anyone well, though.

That is absolutely what they wanted. She was writing articles 45 people read and reading score updates on the radio, and now people have heard of her across the country. DiCaro will get a nice career out of it. Sarah Spain got a national gig out of nothing more than being cute and having large breasts, and ESPN trots her out a few times a year on the main channel to cover women's issues when Jamelle Hill is busy or the story is beneath her. Julie got a feature story on Deadspin and is apparently quoted there regularly now. She's positioning herself to be the "rape expert," and I wouldn't be surprised if she starts showing up on ESPN every time there's an athlete rape case. She's made a name for herself on this case. And that's not to say that she in any way deserved death threats, but they'll end up helping her career.

Oh no, Spain got noticed by offering herself up in exchange for a Super Bowl ticket.

/neverforget

Of course, without the two things you mention that pitch would have likely been ignored.

• Like 1

She got a byline in Sports Illustrated. It's like my guy Rahm Emanuel always says: close public schools and bust teachers' unions to aid your connected friends who invest in charter schools!

No, no, that's not the one I was thinking of! I hate when that happens. Let me start over.

It's like my guy Rahm Emanuel always says: never let a crisis go to waste!

Oh, phew, teams other than the Blackhawks are doing dumb crap!

Lou Lamoriello kicked the Leafs broadcasters off the charter and tried to get them to call road games from a studio in Toronto. Then someone at MLSE realized that they're the richest team in the league and owned by not one but two broadcasting conglomerates and that this kind of bush-league move would reflect particularly poorly on their operation. In short, Lou Lamoriello is fossilized winter dog crap and should stick to what he knows, like signing lots of 36-year-olds in free agency.

• Like 1