NFL Changes - 2016

Bill0813

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only New York has interchangeable turf end zones, as the logos and wordmark are sewn into the turf. New England and Seattle's lines and logos are painted on, so the grounds crew simply washes away the paint and paints new lines for the sport to be played next.

On 8/4/2016 at 7:44 PM, FSUViking said:

Should definitely add some orange, especially for the U sharing the stadium. Throw them a bone. Add the school colors somewhere. It's already the worst college home field in FCS for a variety of reasons. 

Yeah its a shame really. I'm hoping for something like the Jets and Giants do where they cover up the walls or something. Get some school pride in there!

On 8/4/2016 at 9:40 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

definitely not going crazy with orange, but UM is being thought of with the designs too 

at least a stripe here or there lol Glad to hear about UM tho

True2OB.png

19 hours ago, dont care said:

Miami and Pittsburgh have an excuse, they share their stadiums with college teams.

How is that an excuse? Especially for Miami, who shares a color and city name with the school.. Even in Pittsburgh, the city name could be done in yellow with black/navy borders, depending on who's playing

6 hours ago, WavePunter said:

How is that an excuse? Especially for Miami, who shares a color and city name with the school.. Even in Pittsburgh, the city name could be done in yellow with black/navy borders, depending on who's playing

Because that would look terrible and generic? Because no one wants to see more sans-serif fonts on a football field? Seriously, this was an awful design:

minnesota-tennis-football-stadium.jpg

(not to mention the kerning lol)

spacer.png

Tampa Bay has it the toughest with colored endzones.

Bucs have red and pewter

USF Has green and gold

Typically what they do for USF games the endzones have the wordmark bigg enough to look good, but small enough that the cutout of new turf needed to overlay the Bucs endzones are minimal.

On August 7, 2016 at 0:19 AM, dsaline97 said:

Because that would look terrible and generic? Because no one wants to see more sans-serif fonts on a football field? Seriously, this was an awful design:

Probably not the best example considering that is the endzone design that they used before the Vikings even considered playing there while their stadium was being built. Here is an article from 2009 just before the first game was played, and it has the same endzone design. Also, the article even mentions the Vikings efforts to try to get their new stadium. https://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy/2009/09/new-gophers-stadium-and-target-field-raise-big-question-minnesotas-sports-in

48 minutes ago, GFB said:

If we're talking about end zone designs, the Lions are going back to the Honolulu Blue end zones this year: 

CpLboJ-UAAA3kh0.jpg

Gorgeous! This and the use of the old school logo two verticals blue and gray stripes on social media make me think they finally try to phase out black. I honestly thought they would do the exact opposite and try to ditch blue but so far I'm pleasantly surprised.

I really wish we would get colored end-zones down here in Jacksonville it's always been the plain unless we were hosting a playoff game and some prime time games then it would be black and those kinda games haven't happened in a while.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

I like colored endzones for artificial turf fields. 

When it comes to grass, I only liked colored end zones for night games. So usually that would mean a prime time game or a playoff game (mostly) where the end zones are painted. But even a painted end zone for a day playoff game would look nice too. 

But a part of me really likes a grass field without a full colored end zone. Usually the team name and corresponding logos on one or both sides works for me. 

Go A's!

On August 7, 2016 at 1:19 AM, dsaline97 said:

Firstly, you can use a serified font if that's what tickles your fancy; and secondly, the kerning can be addressed.. Just because one team did it poorly doesn't mean everyone will.. Plus, this was the Gophers' endzone look before the Vikings moved in, so the joint-usage had nothing to do with it.. 

Also, endzones can be repainted, so even with short turnarounds, small things can be addressed.. I think the Dolphins' "Miami" wordmark would look fine for the Hurricanes, with only having to retrace the outline in aqua between games.

On 8/7/2016 at 1:19 AM, dsaline97 said:

The kerning is inexcusable, that's true.  But I don't think the font is bad at all.  Especially with a long name, sans-serif fonts are clean and legible.  They work well with stylized letter logos - I'd much rather have a sans-serif wordmark here than the fussy, overly-matchy font Wisconsin is now trotting out across the board.

Archived