NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

54 minutes ago, Ark said:

Considering they will never wear those uniforms at the same time, who cares?

A. FACE

Sidney+Crosby+Brad+Marchand+2018+Geico+N

B. I CARE. ME. THIS GUY. 

What does it matter that they'll never wear them at the same time? They're already wearing the same color scheme, why wouldn't you do all that you could set your uniform apart from the other team wearing the same colors so in the event that your highlight appears right after theirs your brand is more easily differentiated? That's why. Let me repeat: there's two black and yellow teams in the league, there's an INFINITE number of ways they could stripe a sock, and yet they both wear basically the same socks. In both cases, but especially the Penguins', it's not even the best design they could use. 

C. Discussing sock stripes is what we do here at the most basic level. People have been banned for getting too impassioned about sock stripes. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How ANYONE could say that the Sharks road unis are anything other than flat out ugly is beyond me. So weak and boring. Im almost glad the blues made the final simply on this alone. Almost. Im also just glad they made it and the sharks didnt because thats just how i roll.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

21 minutes ago, Bayne said:

How ANYONE could say that the Sharks road unis are anything other than flat out ugly is beyond me. So weak and boring.

Agreed.  They look so empty without a hem-stripe and the shoulder patch choice is terrible.  The homes aren't that much better either, they just benefit from being an interesting colour and having a competent shoulder patch.

On 5/21/2019 at 1:18 PM, McCarthy said:

A. FACE

Sidney+Crosby+Brad+Marchand+2018+Geico+N

B. I CARE. ME. THIS GUY. 

What does it matter that they'll never wear them at the same time? They're already wearing the same color scheme, why wouldn't you do all that you could set your uniform apart from the other team wearing the same colors so in the event that your highlight appears right after theirs your brand is more easily differentiated? That's why. Let me repeat: there's two black and yellow teams in the league, there's an INFINITE number of ways they could stripe a sock, and yet they both wear basically the same socks. In both cases, but especially the Penguins', it's not even the best design they could use. 

C. Discussing sock stripes is what we do here at the most basic level. People have been banned for getting too impassioned about sock stripes. 

What makes me chuckle is yes, they’re similar, but not EXACTLY the same. The spacing is different. And the arguments of teams looking like each other on this board when we’re the ones that can spot the minuscule differences with ease. Like aside from colors I don’t think I could ever confuse the Bruins and Penguins. 

Anyway. While the black socks don’t bug me anymore, gold is ideal. 

10 hours ago, B-mer said:

What makes me chuckle is yes, they’re similar, but not EXACTLY the same. The spacing is different. And the arguments of teams looking like each other on this board when we’re the ones that can spot the minuscule differences with ease. Like aside from colors I don’t think I could ever confuse the Bruins and Penguins. 

Anyway. While the black socks don’t bug me anymore, gold is ideal. 

1. That’s why I was careful to use the word “similar” and not “precisely 100% exactly identical”.

2. It’s not about “confusion” in the sense that someone turns on a Bruins game and thinks they’re watching the Penguins. That’s not really happening with anyone over the age of 6. What I’m talking about is the creative problem of two teams in a league this small with Infinite design possibilities choosing to use elements in their design that are so very close to being alike when they could do anything else to differentiate themselves. This same reason is why Tampa’s uniform has always bothered me. It’s not that they look too much like Toronto, because they very much do, it’s more that they could do something uniquely theirs and in cosplaying as the Leafs they’re leaving a wealth of good uniform ideas on the table. 

Summary: The socks are too similar. Neither team is using the ideal sock design the team should be wearing. End of point.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

Black socks and white numbers are nothing compared to the sins of this uniform:

ff_2847836_full.jpg&w=340

The tiny orange stripe, the lack of hem stripes, and the ugly rendering of the shark (and no, the original isn't much better) are way worse than any little messes made by the Blues and Bruins. Add the mismatched sleeve patch and too dark teal, and you've got a particularly nasty uniform. 

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The tiny orange stripe, the lack of hem stripes, and the ugly rendering of the shark (and no, the original isn't much better) are way worse than any little messes made by the Blues and Bruins. Add the mismatched sleeve patch and too dark teal, and you've got a particularly nasty uniform.

Part of me thinks this teal jersey is alright on its own (despite being inferior to all its predecessors). The white version is worse because the removal of several elements means the team's primary colour is overpowered by black accents. Also the teal laces are a bit weird. In a bubble I don't mind the missing hem stripes, but when I remember the reason for their removal, that really drags this set down.

I've said this before, but the removal of one of the orange stripes feels like a poorly thought out compromise between a desire to keep or remove it from the colour scheme. It felt like a natural fit in the 2007-15 set, but now it's just awkwardly shoehorned in.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

9 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Black socks and white numbers are nothing compared to the sins of this uniform:

ff_2847836_full.jpg&w=340

On the plus side...they got rid of the front shoulder number. That made it worse (looking at you, Buffalo).

I still can't figure out why orange isn't on both sides of the black stripe. Orange isn't the worst color for the Sharks, but they just don't use it right. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I actually really like the small orange stripe worn by the Sharks. What I can't stand is the lack of tail stripes. That brings down the whole set, especially the nearly teal-less road jersey...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

On the plus side...they got rid of the front shoulder number. That made it worse (looking at you, Buffalo).

I still can't figure out why orange isn't on both sides of the black stripe. Orange isn't the worst color for the Sharks, but they just don't use it right. 

It's not on both sides because it makes the jersey even lighter, allowing the players to go faster by .00000000034 seconds.  Seriously, they need to bring back proper hem stripes.  They should also replace the shoulder logos with the updated fin.  They can keep the home shoulder logo for an alternate, though.  And, while I'm okay with the orange, I think they should bring back the silver as it goes better with the black and teal.

maybe since the Sharks still haven't won while being the fastest team alive with the lightest uniforms, and with DeBoer's comments about the two heaviest teams in the final, they'll add the hem stripes back in to make them heavier? 🤷‍♂️

It's funny, but a appreciate the first Edge set a lot more now.  I never thought it was that bad to begin with honestly.  Still prefer silver/gray over orange, but those jerseys were still nice and balanced. 

I still don’t get how they can say hem stripes make a jersey heavier, it’s not adding any material other than the most minuscule amount for the seams. They aren’t stitched on over the already made jersey material, they are made as a part of it. I’m total it’s probably at most a few grams of thread that wouldn’t be noticeable to anyone.

I was thinking that it has been a while since we've seen two shoulder yokes matched up in the Cup Finals, and after a bit of research it looks like the last time was 1972 between the Bruins and Rangers.

spacer.png

While there have been other series since then with two teams who use shoulder yokes, in all those cases they both used them exclusively at home, so they never actually got matched up in the same game (Montreal vs. NY Rangers, Montreal vs. Calgary x2).

Archived