NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

4 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Remind me, what's wrong with the white numbers? I've been watching the Blues for most of this season and I've never considered them, much less found reason for complaint.

This is either the second or third year now of them wearing white numbers. I'm a hockey nut and watch plenty of Blues home games per season, surely.

Despite that, the white numbers are still jarring to me. They will never look correct. The sooner they go back to yellow numbers, the sooner my eyes will stop fooling my brain.

spacer.png

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bruins without yellow socks is much more of a downgrade then Blues with white numbers.  The white numbers might have been weird at first, but I've gotten use to them.  It's still weird to see Bruins without the yellow socks, though.

I'd definitely say the Blues numbers bother me more. Firstly, a jersey is the focal point of a hockey uniform, so it's a much more noticeable & jarring change. Jerseys are a fashion item, so if you're a Blues fan and get the opportunity to have a Stanley Cup Finals patch on your jersey you either have to get one with white numbers, or wear a historically inaccurate yellow-numbered jersey with a patch on it (but I guess you could get a blank one also).

Secondly, it seems to be an unpopular opinion around here, but I was never a huge fan of the Bruins' gold socks. The original gold socks at least matched the gold-black-white-black-gold pattern from the jersey stripes (see below). 

I honestly barely notice the Bruins socks now.

spacer.png

Yeah, since the Edge switch the Bruins yellow socks looked out of place because the striping didn't match and there was less yellow on the jersey.

You can see in Spartacat's post above that the socks match, and are essentially an enlarged version of, the jersey striping. Same with the pre-Edge jerseys where there is more yellow and the socks mimic the sleeve striping.

72245036-buffalo-sabres-v-boston-bruins.

But the Reebok Bruins socks didn't match anything and there was less yellow on the jerseys, making it look more out of place. Flipping the black and white on the socks would have been better because then it wold have matched the striping like previous bruins jerseys.

9993560-nhl-tampa-bay-lightning-at-bosto

(I'm also convinced this was something everybody only liked because the bruins had always done this. If a team came out with an alternate tomorrow where the jersey and socks weren't the same colour or if Vegas did it with their jerseys, it would be derided.)

IbjBaeE.png

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

(I'm also convinced this was something everybody only liked because the bruins had always done this. If a team came out with an alternate tomorrow where the jersey and socks weren't the same colour or if Vegas did it with their jerseys, it would be derided.)

I'm not so sure about that. Socks being a different color can work, as the Ducks have shown twice. And the Bruins gold socks really worked with the current set, as it added the balance that was needed from the gold yoke. The jerseys have a lot of gold, and seemed a little top heavy. Having gold socks balanced it out. With the current set, the black socks look out of place, because they remove the balance of the set, and make it really top heavy again... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

3 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I'm not so sure about that. Socks being a different color can work, as the Ducks have shown twice. And the Bruins gold socks really worked with the current set, as it added the balance that was needed from the gold yoke. The jerseys have a lot of gold, and seemed a little top heavy. Having gold socks balanced it out. With the current set, the black socks look out of place, because they remove the balance of the set, and make it really top heavy again... 

I wouldn’t say the Ducks socks are a different colour, they’ve just flipped the sleeve striping so it’s still the same colour.

IbjBaeE.png

3 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Los Angeles Kings did it.  Though it was not one of their best uniforms in their history.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Yeah, since the Edge switch the Bruins yellow socks looked out of place because the striping didn't match and there was less yellow on the jersey.

You can see in Spartacat's post above that the socks match, and are essentially an enlarged version of, the jersey striping. Same with the pre-Edge jerseys where there is more yellow and the socks mimic the sleeve striping.

72245036-buffalo-sabres-v-boston-bruins.

But the Reebok Bruins socks didn't match anything and there was less yellow on the jerseys, making it look more out of place. Flipping the black and white on the socks would have been better because then it wold have matched the striping like previous bruins jerseys.

9993560-nhl-tampa-bay-lightning-at-bosto

Flipping the white and black would match the stripes, but as shown here it does match the yoke, which puts a white border between the gold and black. And as others have said, the gold sock balances out the gold shoulder yokes.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

7 hours ago, monkeypower said:

That's never been a great argument. Uniforms don't exist in a vacuum.

The white numbers threw me off at first, but honestly I think it looks better than the yellow numbers. The white numbers make the uniform look more clean in my opinion, especially with the white letters for the player name. 

T1oYViW.png

Aesthetically, the white numbers are better than the yellow numbers. But traditionally the Blues should be wearing yellow numbers... 

I’d personally rather see the Blues win the Cup in white numbers than the Bruins winning in black socks...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived