NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Thank god no. And what's with the flame emoji? Does he love and want to incinerate the uniforms at the same time?

I’d highly doubt Nike comes out with something better, maybe not even close

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, BellaSpurs said:

I’d highly doubt Nike comes out with something better, maybe not even close

It's really in the Jets hands. Woody and Chris Johnson (current caretaker) but Woody is a conservative 70+ year old man. Maybe he says :censored: it and gives them free reign. 

Nike can only be a butcher if the Jets allow them to be butchers

2 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Thank god no. And what's with the flame emoji? Does he love and want to incinerate the uniforms at the same time?

While these mockups aren't great, they;re still pretty unique and actually a pretty good incorporation of black into the Jets' identity. Also, the fire emoji stands for 'lit', as in the jerseys are great. (Hopefully I'm actually helping here and not missing sarcasm lol)

the user formerly known as cdclt

It’s probably because I’ve seen that photo a thousand times now (and I understand it’s been debunked), but I’ve really warmed up to the idea of black being added to the Jets’ scheme and I am looking forward to some sort of custom number font, too.

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The NFL wasn't as keen to have one dedicated brand as they were in the last 3 decades. 

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

True, but that was before mass-marketing. The NFL didn’t have a problem with home-and-road helmets until helmets became possibly the most important visual shorthand for the teams.

I know that. I'm trying to point out that this newfangled idea was done a long time ago, yet still within the lifetimes of some of the denizens of this board. 

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

It’s probably because I’ve seen that photo a thousand times now (and I understand it’s been debunked), but I’ve really warmed up to the idea of black being added to the Jets’ scheme and I am looking forward to some sort of custom number font, too.

I feel the same way. It has to be because I’ve seen that picture so many times lately because my initial reaction was not positive, but repeated exposure to it I’ve really warmed up to the jersey. Not the full body uniform and definitely not the NYJ logo, but a different logo on the chest and I’d be happy with that jersey provided they have better pants and helmets than the full body mock up 

On 1/25/2019 at 11:44 PM, AgentColon2 said:

Dallas Mavericks and Minnesota Timberwolves have both previously used this color scheme and never did I think it was wrong.

Good point. Maybe it's just a football thing? I dunno. I wish more teams in all sports would use that scheme, though.

8 hours ago, jn8 said:

I feel the same way. It has to be because I’ve seen that picture so many times lately because my initial reaction was not positive, but repeated exposure to it I’ve really warmed up to the jersey. Not the full body uniform and definitely not the NYJ logo, but a different logo on the chest and I’d be happy with that jersey provided they have better pants and helmets than the full body mock up 

i'll echo being cool with black as a jets color. as someone who detested black being added to the mets' and (briefly...twice) islanders' schemes, i'm oddly okay with it for the jets. i thought the outlines on the early '90s set was good (i didn't like the black facemask though). provided there's good contrast with whatever the heck "sport green" is, it could work nicely.

sig2024.png

On 1/25/2019 at 9:26 PM, MCM0313 said:

Awkward logo (football doesn't do roundels well). Great color scheme in general but doesn't make sense for a team called the San Antonio Gunslingers. Maybe the Seahawks and Whalers have influenced me, but I  think those colors should be used in a coastal city.

Interesting point.  I will say this was a more San Antonio/southwestern color scheme . . . and good looking uniform, helmet and logo.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0NXBb4S3X4kjE_SOGCt9

9 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I know that. I'm trying to point out that this newfangled idea was done a long time ago, yet still within the lifetimes of some of the denizens of this board. 

I'm part of that fairly short list.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 1/25/2019 at 2:38 AM, Old School Fool said:

1056141422.jpeg&c=sc&w=3200&h=2133

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE when the Raiders wore these white away jerseys with the silver jersey numbers like last worn regularly in 1970 when the 'Mad Bomber' Lamonica was their QB.  A few years ago when wearing them for a game or two they looked awful because the black outline was way too thick.

Maybe they'll revert to these white throwback jerseys permanently in 2020 when they make their Vegas shift,  I wouldn't even mind if they occasionally wore the 1963 helmet decal.  That was damn cool during AFL-50 Legacy games in 2009. 😎  IF they wear white on white ever again as they did for C-R the need to have NIKE make them a set of white pants with a black inner/outter belt for contrast. I don't know why pants rarely come like that anymore, they've been keeping the belt the same color as the pants.

I wonder if the NFL has anything planned uniform and logo-wise for NFL-100 next season?  I haven't heard a single peep on that subject, anywhere.  The best news would be for the NFL to do away with the one-helmet rule, but ONLY when it comes to throwbacks.  Meanwhile the Redskins' simulated leather helmets are in a MD warehouse collecting dust.  Washington should at least switch the helmet logo to the same one worn on the jersey sleeve, I mean how hard could that be?

Also . . . Those GB Packers throwbacks of 2018 that they wore at home against the BILLS have gotta go.  Buffalo only plays at Lambeau once every 8 years and those monstrosities took all the fun out that game seeing by GB wearing those! That kind of throwback ruins a teams identity. Only positive were the khaki pants.

8d1a0fa4-f580-4bfa-b53d-d8c2c3e77688-AP1

5 hours ago, leopard88 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0NXBb4S3X4kjE_SOGCt9.

AKA

bradshaw3.jpg

layfield2.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, Brian E said:

i'll echo being cool with black as a jets color. as someone who detested black being added to the mets' and (briefly...twice) islanders' schemes, i'm oddly okay with it for the jets. i thought the outlines on the early '90s set was good (i didn't like the black facemask though). provided there's good contrast with whatever the heck "sport green" is, it could work nicely.

Agreed. For one, "jet black" is a thing. Second, there's usually black lettering on military jets. If they're leaning into the more military-based imagery (which Nike most certainly will), it makes sense, even more than green, in my opinion, but obviously they're not getting rid of green (nor should they).

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

3 hours ago, ARTnSocal said:

Also . . . Those GB Packers throwbacks of 2018 that they wore at home against the BILLS have gotta go.  Buffalo only plays at Lambeau once every 8 years and those monstrosities took all the fun out that game seeing by GB wearing those! That kind of throwback ruins a teams identity. Only positive were the khaki pants.

8d1a0fa4-f580-4bfa-b53d-d8c2c3e77688-AP1

I like those throwbacks, I'm not sure if it ruins a team's identity -- I do wish that throwback games, especially in  the football should be against a rival or other team wearing throwbacks from the same era-ish. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, Matito said:

Agreed. For one, "jet black" is a thing. Second, there's usually black lettering on military jets. If they're leaning into the more military-based imagery (which Nike most certainly will), it makes sense, even more than green, in my opinion, but obviously they're not getting rid of green (nor should they).

Ugh. Nike will probably lean into JET BLACK, even though it has nothing to do with the planes.

17 hours ago, kimball said:

I do wish that throwback games, especially in  the football should be against a rival or other team wearing throwbacks from the same era-ish. 

I couldn't possibly agree more!

Only thing is . . It won't happen often enough, UNLESS and IF the NFL were to get rid of the one-helmet shell rule that Jed York of the 49ers helped instigate in 2013, and also allow all teams that wanna wear throwbacks be allowed to have NIKE make both a home and away version, and possibly not necessarily having to be from the same season. 

That, is what made the AFL-50 Legacy games in 2009 so very special. Both teams were wearing their AFL throwbacks, not just one team.  Even the refs wore the old AFL red-striped kits.

Example:  Would like to see Buffalo's 1962/'63 home throwbacks (blue over white)  and the 1973 away throwbacks (white over blue pants) .... both had the same grazing Bison logo.  The current charging Bison didn't debut until 1974, and was enlarged in 1982.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Bills at Dolphins 

Hard Rock Stadium . . . Miami Gardens-FL

* * both teams wearing their throwbacks against one another in 2017 and 2018

Buffalo 1965 replica's

Miami   1967 replica's

* 'Replica's because both Buffalo and Miami had to have NIKE move the TV numbers from sleeves to shoulders

1011759834-BillsDolphins44-1260x800.jpg

Bills at NY Jets ...  16-DEC-1973

Shea Stadium ... Queens-NY

(OJ Simpson:  34 - 201 yds - 1 TD . . . 2003 yds rushing in 14 game season)

juice2000.jpg

AFL Divisional Playoff game

Patriots at Bills  ... War Memorial Stadium .. E Buffalo-NY 

28-DEC-1963

(Daryle Lamonica BUF QB # 12, The 'Mad' Bomber! )

2016-02-13_16-02-35.jpg

Wow ... has it really been since 2013? It doesn't seem like that old of a rule. I know that this has been discussed ad nauseam ... but ... there has to be a way around it by now. Even to limit the pros to a two lid rule is waaaaaaaaay more restricted than what we see in college.

I'd love to see more of these era appropriate match ups and it's too bad we want see that next year like we did in '94. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived