Atlanta Hawks Unveil New Uniforms, Logos, Colours

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has Atlanta United supplanted the Hawks as no.3 in the professional Atlanta sports team hierarchy? As far as I can remember no one has ever praised the Atlanta crowd as particularly boisterous, and they’ve never managed to be top half in attendance since 2001 (despite several very good if unexciting teams) and they slide in the bottom 5 pretty much every time they’re not competitive for a playoff spot. If they weren’t in such a huge media market they would probably be one of the first names to come up when relocation talks happen, strictly speaking attendance numbers.  But then again the answer to why they’ve not managed consistent crowds is probably in the Hawks front office email about how racists were ‘scared away’. Guess other sports are majority white crowds enough for those kind of people to be comfortable. 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

29 minutes ago, UnclearInitial said:

Has Atlanta United supplanted the Hawks as no.3 in the professional Atlanta sports team hierarchy? As far as I can remember no one has ever praised the Atlanta crowd as particularly boisterous, and they’ve never managed to be top half in attendance since 2001 (despite several very good if unexciting teams) and they slide in the bottom 5 pretty much every time they’re not competitive for a playoff spot. If they weren’t in such a huge media market they would probably be one of the first names to come up when relocation talks happen, strictly speaking attendance numbers.  But then again the answer to why they’ve not managed consistent crowds is probably in the Hawks front office email about how racists were ‘scared away’. Guess other sports are majority white crowds enough for those kind of people to be comfortable. 

I wouldn't think so. Not with the emergence of Trae Young.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

8 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

Do people really think McDonald's owns Red/Yellow that much? I don't even remember the last time i even ate something from there

You’re missing out. McDonalds is the bee’s knees!

spacer.png

9 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

s-l400.jpg

Derrick-Chievous.jpg?id=ce45e0f4-e57f-48

Agreed. Even side by side, they're similar in broad strokes, but distinctive enough to not be the same.

EDIT:

Here's what they looked like playing each other:

basketball-houston-rockets-hakeem-olajuw

hakeem-olajuwon-of-the-houston-rockets-b

and lol:

dikembe-mutombo-boxes-out-against-hakeem

Interesting example of how basically identical palettes can seem different even with very minor differences in their balance and usage.

Red plus minimal yellow = Rockets

Red plus mild yellow = Hawks

Red plus moderate yellow = McDonald's

I never liked the early 70s Rudy T or more recent Luis Scola alternates that use moderate yellow.

14 hours ago, uniguy22 said:

spacer.png

This is a great look, and huge improvement over their previous set. 

These pics show the side stripes to be quite bold, in keeping with the interesting designs they've often used. We don't see stripes like that on the Celtics or Knicks (and they're much nicer than Lakers or Knicks black side panels...wow, we could have seen awful black side panels on this set.)

Overall a great use of balanced, traditional team colors with simple design elements. I raise my grade from A- to A.

Overall...an upgrade. YES to reverting to athletic gold from volt. YES to the St. Louis/early Atlanta/70s-early 80s look. I love “ATLANTA” in the chosen wordmark font.

Part of me would have liked a Benguiat return. Just out of curiosity, would Benguiat numbers have worked on these new unis?

These uniforms could serve as a good case study for proving that younger people don't only want garish modern uniforms. These super traditional ones have been getting some of the most widespread praise on social media that I've seen for uniforms in a long time. I think that people really detested the neon green which helps, but these still feel really well-liked across the board nonetheless.

Personally, I think they're ok. They may go past looking vintage and more antiquated to me, which is probably due to the big striping and varsity font choices that just give it a very amateur vibe. I can't deny that they're much cleaner though and the return to red and yellow is cool. 

spacer.png

For the most part, these are great unis, albeit a little generic.

My main issue is not having the curved white stripe for the nameplate. That IS the Hawks’ most iconic look. I also despise sponsor logos with contrasting/non-team colors. Those need to be banned ASAP but Silver already sold out the league.

Kudos to the design team for not giving into more “ATL” silliness. And the players will say they love anything, that’s the dumb thing about social media hype videos. Of course the Falcons players (for example) aren’t going to admit their new unis suck in public. Most players will just play along, and honestly they don’t care nearly as much as we do about the look, as long as they are collecting a paycheck. If my work had uniforms I could honestly care less what they look like as long as it isn’t completely absurd.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

While I'm all for classic simplicity, this doesn't look even as good as most college teams.  It feels like a nice high school look.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 7/17/2020 at 11:01 AM, Maroon&Gold said:

The Jordan jogo doesn't make sense. Aren't Atlanta and Charlotte rival cities? I know the Hornets don't really have rivals but it feels weird that Atlanta would become a Jordan team

I've never heard of any real rivalry between Atlanta and Charlotte. Atlanta's biggest pro sports rivalry is between the Falcons and the Saints. 

43 minutes ago, keynote said:

I've never heard of any real rivalry between Atlanta and Charlotte. Atlanta's biggest pro sports rivalry is between the Falcons and the Saints. 

Charlotte :censored:ing hates Atlanta, though right now it's been dulled a bit because the Saints have us both uniting against them.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Now that we see the full set, I can say that the black one is the best of the bunch and surprisingly my favorite, with the white one being solid too and the red just suffering from the yellow and white colors clashing. Playing with black as an additional color on both the white and red jerseys might've solved that problem. The side stripe pattern is overkill, though, and I see no reason for so many stripes - could've done without one outer stripe on both sides of the panel. The new alternate "logos" are a disgrace, and the wordmark by itself in that font does absolutely nothing. They could've added some more interesting details to the unis using the main Pac-Man logo more prominently and with actually cool alternate logos, given that the unis are very generic on their own. One of the white/red jerseys should say 'Hawks' instead of 'Atlanta' too.

Archived