NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

The Seattle Wild of the Pacific Northwest!

This is the second worst name, to "Wild" in the league. But, like with the Wild, I really dig the logo, colors, and jersey.  The Wild went "busy" on their logo and the Kraken are going simple.  But I really like that jersey and color scheme.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a weird set of ESPN notifications back to back.

"Breaking news: Seattle NHL franchise will be called Kraken"

"Breaking news: Washington will be called "Washington Football Team".  

Well.  That's quite the dichotomy.  

1 minute ago, heavybass said:

Also I called the nickname too to be Kraken... and yet I don't get the credit.

No one's keeping score, and most people expected Kraken, regardless of whether or not they liked it. The only people who deserve credit here are the designers who nailed the logos, wordmark, colors, and uniforms.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

I really like the colors. 

I hope the shells have some striping or design element. I feel design elements on the pants are an underused thing in the NHL. 

6 minutes ago, Thaumatrope said:

I agree with the consensus that this is one hell of a mixed bag.

I wont rewrite everything that I put down on the other thread, but I'll just say that the Kraken name is deeply flawed. That being said, the branding is solid and I'm looking forward to seeing the secondary anchor/space needle popping up everywhere. The colors are unique while still being Seattle-esque, and different enough from Vancouver to not cause any confusion. My hope for the team a this point is that the branding is strong enough that everyone will forget how awful the team name is in the long run...that being said, ask Minnesota how that process is going.

Welcome to the darkest timeline.

Nah, just the timeline where a good identity comes with an awful name. You know, a timeline with Colorado Avalanche, Minnesota Wild, Oklahoma City Thunder, RULE FOUR VIOLATION, Ottawa REDBLACKS, etc. 

It’s just a bit goofy, not dark. With naming ideas like these, I’m glad MLS has gone in its current direction.

I do apologize for my Sparky comments.

1 minute ago, FSUViking said:

THIS. Thank you.

SO tired of this community sh**ting on absolutely everything that every team ever does. Meanwhile, they'll go into the concepts thread and praise and drool over every sub standard uninspiring logo or uniform somebody creates here.

Just this year the boards absolutely adored the Padres and Chargers new uniforms, for good reason. We're praising the Kraken's logos and uniforms because they look great, despite the name! I don't know where you're getting " :censored:ting on absolutely everything that every team ever does" simply because the board isn't a fan of the name, or things like the Rams new logos/uniforms.

ExJworW.png

The colors are awesome, the jerseys are great, the logos aren't awful...but the name. Good lord, they had to go with the exact kind of ECHL minor-league name that I didn't want them to go with and of course that's what they go with.

"Sockeyes" would've been perfect, but nah gotta go full on tryhard-cool.

3 minutes ago, nash61 said:

Because 

pronger_chris-1040x572-1.jpg

and 

markus-naslund-of-the-vancouver-canucks-

have given way to 

cut.jpg

and

elias-pettersson-canucks-1040x572.jpg

Fair. I thought they'd at least try and avoid blue as the main color since Vancouver is going to be their closest geographic rival. 

How'd I forget the Oilers went orange... 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Nobody else is looking at that jersey and thinking about the Ducks.  Stop.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Nah, just the timeline where a good identity comes with an awful name. You know, a timeline with Colorado Avalanche, Minnesota Wild, Oklahoma City Thunder, RULE FOUR VIOLATION, Ottawa REDBLACKS, etc. 

It’s just a bit goofy, not dark.

I do apologize for my [REDACTED] comments.

Just a throwback to my comment on the other thread.

Despite the mods efforts...I think we can agree that there is going to be a general and non-specific group of individuals who are going to be using this turn of events as an opportunity/excuse to be less than ideal community members. I think we can agree that this general and non-specific group of individuals is part of the reason why the Kraken name has been so challenging to accept for some of us.

MOD EDIT

Archived