MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

11 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Rockies' City Connect looked good on-field for their debut, but from what I saw on social media, you either love them or hate them. One major gripe I have is the back numbers. The white gets lost way too easily. I would switch to purple since its already used as the outline. The other *small* gripe I have is that green almost seems too dark. It looks like black in certain lightings, especially on tv.

Again, very Colorado-y in a good way. Like they took all the likeable stereotypes and made them into a uniform.

The pants here give me a real ‘70s polyester sansabelt vibe. 

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

17 hours ago, mafiaman said:

Class D USSSA softball  - Nike is ruining MLB uniforms one team at a time.  

When a child (Nike) gets behind the wheel of a car and runs into a tree, you don't blame the child... You blame the 30-year-old woman (MLB) who got in the passenger seat and said, "Drive kid i trust you."

• Like 3

jNTsTyQ.png

I feel like the Royals unis are 95% there. It's beautiful, but I think the numbers are too thick. Its the right width if they had outlines, but on its own the number is just too thick compared to the standard MLB fonts

• Like 1

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

On 6/5/2022 at 12:57 AM, SSmith48 said:

One major gripe I have is the back numbers. The white gets lost way too easily. I would switch to purple since its already used as the outline. 

Only if they make the outline white.   Purple seems like the perfect color to pop against the white and completely blend with the green.   Having the break would make it much more clearly visible even with the different backgrounds.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

8 hours ago, flyersfan said:

I feel like the Royals unis are 95% there. It's beautiful, but I think the numbers are too thick. Its the right width if they had outlines, but on its own the number is just too thick compared to the standard MLB fonts

That's historically how they've had them. I'm glad they did that across the board instead of just on the white and royal blue jerseys the last set, then have the thinner slightly different shaped numbers on the powder blues and roads. The thicker numbers are the Royals.

17 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Blue Jays are wearing their red Canada jerseys today. Any reason why they don’t go all-in and put CANADA on the front? 

I don't follow MLB very well but I thought the Jays only wore red on Canada Day? What's going on here?

bSLCtu2.png

On 6/5/2022 at 12:57 AM, SSmith48 said:

What this shows most of all is the necessity of socks.  White socks would make this uniform much better.  Without socks, those pants look like something that your uncle can be seen wearing in home movies from the 1970s.

The same is true for the City Connect uniforms of the White Sox and Cubs:  the dark pants look good with contrasting socks, and look very bad without those socks. 

Well, in the case of the White Sox, the dark pants would look good with contrasting socks; I didn't see any player actually wearing such socks.  (How frustrating that the White Sox refuse to wear white socks!)  With the Cubs, we have evidence of the difference between the cool look with the light-coloured socks and the terrible look without socks.

Leaked Socks (!) Hint at New MLB City Connect Unis

The other thing we can see on the Rockies' uniform is that the Major League Baseball logo on the back belt loop should not be in white, as that detracts from the nice combination between the green pants and the white belt.  Speaking of belts, some of the Cubs' players undermined the nice look of the light blue belts with the dark blue pants by wearing a dark belt.

MLB - The Chicago Cubs are rocking these City Connect... | Facebook  Ranking MLB's City Connect uniforms

For me, the team that really got the City Connect uniforms right has been the Royals.  That uniform features a beautiful use of two blues, almost Argonaut-style. 

Nike MLB Kansas City Royals City Connect Series Jersey 2022

And the number font is great.   

AL East Roundup (April 30): Yankees With 8th Straight With Shutout Win over  Royals

The backs of the uniforms feature a a nice contrast between the numbers and the names (though the names' lettering should be smaller).  Also, as opposed to the Rockies' uniforms, the Major League Baseball logo on the Royals' back belt loop does not compete with the belt.  (It shouldn't be there at all, of course; but that's a different argument.)

And, as always, the uniform looks better with socks.

April 30 2022: Kansas City pitcher Carlos Hernandez (43) throws a pitch  during the game with New York Yankees and Kansas City Royals held at  Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City Mo. David

...even if the socks ought to be solidly couloured in the lighter shade of the undershirts.

(Realy, managers need to get on making socks mandatory. Players could still express a range of personal styles, by wearing their pants anywhere between just below the knee and just above the ankle.  But there must be some colour down there, in order to make the uniforms balanced.  This goes not only for the City Connect uniforms, but in general.)

• Like 4

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 6/1/2022 at 2:42 PM, DCarp1231 said:

Never realized how much the Marlins black jersey sucked until I saw this image

FUL8oJTWYAMoqv2?format=jpg&name=large

I truly feel like they only saw these jerseys indoors/under certain lighting conditions and never once tested them on the field or in photographs because as faulty as they are, once in a blue moon I see them in specific photos and you can see what they say they were going for. Obviously it's a failure because it doesn't work on the field and on TV and at any distance but just to show some examples of images where it does look the way they intended it, I feel like they saw examples like this and in person and thought oh yeah we nailed it...

Marlins vs. Diamondbacks prediction: Emerging ace makes Under the playLive MLB Coverage: Marlins vs. Giants news, matchups, highlights - Fish  StripesSpotted at Marlins Park — 2019 | by Joseph Guzy | Marlins In Focus

• Like 3

1 minute ago, fortunat1 said:

Navy numbers are interesting for such a red-dominant uniform

Yes.  However, the placement of those numbers in a diamond looks awkward.  Better would have been thicker numbers, sitting directly under the wordmark, with no diamond.  Blue numbers under a red wordmark would have been a nice contrast to the Dodgers' red numbers sitting under a blue wordmark.

Also, while I like the script in the wordmark, I have to say that the burr-thingy in the A clashes with that style.  The A should not have those, and so the logo on the City Connect hats should be the classic California Angels A.

s-l300.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Yeah, I can safely say I prefer these to the Angels’ every day uniforms. Great stuff.

I’ve long said the current Angels set isn’t bad,  but after 20+ seasons it’s starting to look just a little bit stale, and a pseudo-retro approach seems to work well for them.

Only small nitpick is that I wish the halo was gold.

• Like 9