NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

11 minutes ago, BBTV said:

There's certainly a difference between a black Eagles uniform and a black Lakers uniform, but that doesn't mean that one is any more necessary or valid than the other.  They can both be bad / unnecessary / BFBS.

I definitely think of the Eagles of the past 20 years as a (midnight) green and black team rather than as a green and silver team, but I still think that the black exists in the proportions it does strictly for merchandising purposes rather than to enhance the identity, and I'd absolutely consider their black alts a BFBS uniform.  BFBS doesn't necessarily mean "black when black isn't even one of your colors."

Let's say that the early '90s Eagles, who had black number trim, black logo trim, black on their socks stripes, and black shoes, introduced a black jersey - would that be BFBS to you or anyone that's taking such a literal stance on the use of the term?  

Like, pretend this wasn't just a fashion jersey - BFBS?

CDA4EC1B-B41A-448C-8BB9-F229018EE6DF.jpg

Yeah I would consider this a BFBS jersey.. I understand that they had black number trim and logo trim but I'm not sure if black was official team color on the style sheets back then, as it has been since the switch to midnight green in 1996.

I’ve got a lot of catching up to do with these new alternate helmets:

The Cowboys throwback is great news. It always felt right for them to wear that uniform on Thanksgiving.

It’s almost comical that the Jets and Eagles both released black helmets on the same day, both of which actively downgrade their looks, and are completely unnecessary.

The Jets’ green logo with the white outline matches nothing else in their “black-out” uniform. I didn’t hate their black jersey & pants when they were released, but it was much better with their regular green helmet.

Similarly, even though I don’t like the Eagles having black in their identity, their black-out was better with their midnight green helmet. It’s completely baffling that the black helmet doesn’t have any midnight green on it. Make the lining of the wings midnight green along with the facemask, and it’s at least tolerable. I’m not big on the sparkle effect either, it makes it almost look charcoal, which I guess kind of works for them.

To end on a positive note, the Bengals helmet looks great. I’m excited to see it paired with the full uniform.

• Like 1

I didn't get Madden 22. The last Madden game I got was the one with Lamar Jackson on the cover. It was worth getting because of the 8 new uniforms in 2020, and because of the new stadiums Sofi and Allegiant. This year there's a lot of new additions regarding the uniforms, so that will be enticing to buy M23. 

Anyone getting the game?

14 minutes ago, NFLfan10 said:

The Bengals tweeted asking what uniform they should pair their white helmets with

Caught that. It's not an actual poll. They're just going for likes and replies

6uXNWAo.png

2 hours ago, gothedistance said:

I didn't get Madden 22. The last Madden game I got was the one with Lamar Jackson on the cover. It was worth getting because of the 8 new uniforms in 2020, and because of the new stadiums Sofi and Allegiant. This year there's a lot of new additions regarding the uniforms, so that will be enticing to buy M23. 

Anyone getting the game?

Madden’s gameplay and presentation are pretty bad… they are apparently adding stuff but I have zero faith in the developers.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I feel like these comments are completely overdramatic.

NFL teams wearing a different helmet for 3 games a season is nothing compared to other leagues. NBA, MLB, college teams and soccer teams have "city" uniforms throughout that sometimes have zero connection to their team's brand but rather their location.

Variety is popular in sports and fans don't want to see the same uniforms every single week.

Look at the league 10 years ago, then look at it today, if you can’t see where the league is going and will continue to go in the name of profits and following other sports like NBA, CFB, MLB ect. Then you are clearly blind or naïve

at least all these alt helmets have some uni element of the teams current unis. Except the GD Saints looking like seahawks / Louis Vitton polished turd. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Look at the league 10 years ago, then look at it today, if you can’t see where the league is going and will continue to go in the name of profits and following other sports like NBA, CFB, MLB ect. Then you are clearly blind or naïve

Each team has 17 games in a season, so I dunno how you think they're gonna get to the point of overabundance unless they either massively increase the length of the season (which I assure you the NFLPA would be pissed about) or have a different jersey for most of those 17 games (which quickly becomes a branding nightmare, another thing the league would not want).

The reason other pro leagues can have more jerseys is they have much longer seasons than the NFL; the NBA and NHL have an 82-game season, and MLB has 162 games.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Each team has 17 games in a season, so I dunno how you think they're gonna get to the point of overabundance unless they either massively increase the length of the season (which I assure you the NFLPA would be pissed about) or have a different jersey for most of those 17 games (which quickly becomes a branding nightmare, another thing the league would not want).

The reason other pro leagues can have more jerseys is they have much longer seasons than the NFL; the NBA and NHL have an 82-game season, and MLB has 162 games.

There's more to NFL uniforms than jerseys. I don't think the Jags wore the same uniform combo twice last season and that's without an extra helmet. Multiple teams in the league already have muddled identities

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

17 games, so each game that they wear a different combo is a larger proportion of their season. The 3 games is for alts, plus all the other random combos they wear during the season, then you have teams like the ravens who wear alts more than the 3 times they are allowed with no repercussions, and you see where we are headed.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

It could mean nothing, but the Rams seem to be posting as much of the white jersey and as little of the bone jersey as possible on Instagram

I don't know if they made it the primary away, but they should.

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

And how many games a season do the Oregon Ducks play?

• Like 1
  • Applause 4

This isn't the NHL where you have eighty-two games and maybe five to ten you wear an alternate. This is a seventeen game season. 

Frankly? Football has so few games in a season compared to other sports that alternates should be an extreme rarity. Like once a season rare. 

The problem, though, is what @oldschoolvikings has been saying. The seal's been broken. You think the NFL will restrain themselves? The Eagles are already trying to get both their new black alternate helmets and throwback kelly green helmets approved for 2023. 

This is just the beginning. We've begun the NCAA-ification of NFL helmets and uniforms. Anyone thinking the league will restrain itself to just one alternate uniform two-three times a season belongs in the same category of people who thought uniform ads in the NHL were just a "temporary measure" for the pandemic. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Applause 4
  • Dislike 1

Basically, what we’re worried about is that the NFL is going to go for the braindead TikTok/“that :censored: was fire” demographic without any consideration for their current fans. I get that you need to expand markets to grow the sport and what not, but how the hell can you build an identifiable brand when that brand radically changes week to week? What is the plan beyond that short term burst of endorphins from selling new merchandise? Why are we appealing to people who say fire as much as Beavis and are about as smart? 

• Love 1
  • Applause 3

8 hours ago, imawalkingcorpse said:

The Buccaneers have always worn white no matter the scheme/logo far more than their dark uniforms. That's never going to change.

When they first hired Arians, I believe they wore white at home once that season. As a lifer, I know they wear a ton of white, but it’s getting harder to see their standard red/pewter especially with red/white, pewter/pewter and soon to be throwbacks.

• Like 1
KISSwall09.jpg

My perspective of this is mixed. I grew up watching football from the NCAA when Oregon had a different helmet every week. So I’m a little numb on it because I’ve been exposed to it.

Now most of these are uneccessary. Like the Jets and Eagles don’t need a black helmet, some I don’t mind (throwbacks, or the Saints or Texans) but I think there will be enough teams that will keep their traditionalism in check enough to appease the fans who are like that.

But at the end of the day, these are also used for merchandising and to generate more money at the end of the day.

• Like 1