MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

These Mets city connects would not look out of place in NPB.

The bridge on the hat is dumb.

Comparing to the set that was released previous, Phillies were only good from the neck up, while the Mets have everything but the hat decently rendered.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

If you'd like your own Mets City Connect jersey, but don't want to shell out the big bucks to Fanatics or wait 8 weeks for shipping out of China, simply go to the sports store in your neighborhood that's renowned for "lifestyle apparel" and bootleg Jordans. They've been selling this jersey for twenty years.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, JTernup said:

They had some Cigar City Nike shirts a couple years back that I really liked that I've been hoping would inspire the City Connect gear. This word mark on a light blue jersey with light blue pants would be a great city connect.

spacer.png

Won’t happen. You can’t sell youth gear with the word cigar on it. 

• Like 1

think some of the critiques of the mets CC uni are a little too extreme.

i can't believe i'm saying this, but i agree that it needs more purple. maybe that'll happen on the undersleeves.  the NY on the cap should have been purple, and without the bridge.

i don't mind the pants being white. on a player that wears a more tailored uni like lindor, charcoal pinstripe pants probably would have been great. but on the bigger guys, especially when they go pants down, it would have looked drab, like the rest of the CC's.

yes, "queens" would have been better on the front. it is what it is.

overall, it's probably in the 6/7 out of 10 range for me. considering the CC program's propensity to produce absolute nonsense, i'm perfectly okay with these being my team's version.

• Like 2

sig2024.png

I suppose the most famous bridge in the borough and is contains the borough's name, but... am I the only one that associates the team more with the Whitestone?  I suppose the Queensborough bridge is also much more visually appealing and you don't want to use a bridge with "Bronx" in the name.  But it feels like the Yankees ditching the Macombs Dam Bridge or even the GWB for... well... the Whitestone Bridge.

But besides that little block in my mind, these are largely inoffensive to me.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Germanshepherd said:

Would really like to see the Mets CC with pants that match the jersey. The white currently looks so out of place. 

Exactly this. It looks good from the waist up, but the same pinstriped pants would have elevated this set.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TBGKon said:

I do like the design, but the only issue with the Cigar City moniker is that it belongs to Tampa proper, and since the team plays in St. Petersburg that might not look good when they're in the middle of working out the details of a new ballpark in St Pete.

That is probably correct, I am very anti-St. Pete when it comes to the Rays' future home though and it is by far the most recognizable nickname/historical tie in for the team that I can think of for a city connect.

2 hours ago, bowld said:

Wouldn't read into the Cigar City shirt. Nike has a line called Local Team that has shirts like this for all teams-

Yeah, it was an old shirt that I just liked. I'm not expecting it at all but I think it would create the best CC identity.

1 hour ago, BC985 said:

Won’t happen. You can’t sell youth gear with the word cigar on it. 

I hate that you are probably right on this, it just seems so silly when cigars are a very important historical part of Tampa Bay. Nixing the phrase 'Cigar' just seems so silly when you have active players that have committed terrible crimes, gambling advertisements everywhere, and ballparks named after beer.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Here's Casey Stengel sporting the Brooklyn Dodgers checkered uniforms from  1916. : r/baseball

The Mets really blew the opportunity to use the old windowpane plaid the Dodgers had. Ties in with the city's history and gives the perfect backdrop to a subway tile mosaic treatment. This doesn't have to be that hard.

7 minutes ago, Krona said:

Here's Casey Stengel sporting the Brooklyn Dodgers checkered uniforms from  1916. : r/baseball

The Mets really blew the opportunity to use the old windowpane plaid the Dodgers had. Ties in with the city's history and gives the perfect backdrop to a subway tile mosaic treatment. This doesn't have to be that hard.

during the wilpon ownership, the mets got (justifiably)murdered for caring more about the brooklyn dodgers than their own history. don't think they would have ever gone in that direction. but even so, that's not what the CC program is about. it's about the city, not the baseball history (obviously, as a baseball fan, that stinks, but it is what it is). look at this excerpt from the athletic. bunch of great nuggets in this article, by the way, including that player feedback to nike about colored pants has been that they get too hot, they thought about doing 'QUEENS' but thought it was too narrow for a fan base that is spread out:

For the Mets, the process with Nike started after the 2021 season. Nike issued a brief on what goes into a City Connect uniform, and Goldberg and Benesh filled out a 12-page questionnaire posing queries such as, “What does New York mean?” Nike sent five design concepts based on the answers, and the team gave notes or directions to scrap whatever look altogether; five more designs would follow.

sig2024.png

33 minutes ago, Brian E said:

during the wilpon ownership, the mets got (justifiably)murdered for caring more about the brooklyn dodgers than their own history. don't think they would have ever gone in that direction. but even so, that's not what the CC program is about. it's about the city, not the baseball history (obviously, as a baseball fan, that stinks, but it is what it is). look at this excerpt from the athletic. bunch of great nuggets in this article, by the way, including that player feedback to nike about colored pants has been that they get too hot, they thought about doing 'QUEENS' but thought it was too narrow for a fan base that is spread out:

For the Mets, the process with Nike started after the 2021 season. Nike issued a brief on what goes into a City Connect uniform, and Goldberg and Benesh filled out a 12-page questionnaire posing queries such as, “What does New York mean?” Nike sent five design concepts based on the answers, and the team gave notes or directions to scrap whatever look altogether; five more designs would follow.

Not saying they wear Dodgers throwbacks, just use the pattern, which 99% of fans wouldn't connect to the Dodgers unless it was pointed out. As for the being about the city, that's the point. Use a subway tile inspired design with the windowpane as the architecture. And also, half of these teams are misunderstanding the assignment of "CITY". It's a dumb program that could be marginally better if they lifted a dumb name that doesn't mean anything.

The 59th Street bridge on the cap looks horrible.  The only thing iconic about it is the potholes. Also reminds me too much of the Giants' CC cap. I'd have figured the Mets would have brought back the Mercury Mets and called it a day.