Big East adds:

-Houston

-UCF

-Villanova

C-USA adds:

-Louisiana Tech

-Temple

Just a rumor for now, but there it is.

Would the Big East also jettison some of the basketball only schools in this scenario?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Rumor I heard recently.

Big East adds:

-Houston

-UCF

-Villanova

C-USA adds:

-Louisiana Tech

-Temple

Would the Big East also jettison some of the basketball only schools in this scenario?

Could be added as football-only members other than Nova. Not sure of the details beyond they may be added. Would certainly be interesting.

Let me get this straight,the big 12's new name is A)The Big 12 or B)other name

The Big 12 is the new name, narrowly beating out Texas and its 9 B!tches

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Rumor I heard recently.

Big East adds:

-Houston

-UCF

-Villanova

C-USA adds:

-Louisiana Tech

-Temple

I could see the Big East creating two "sub-conferences" out of their football and non-football members. The Big East Tournament would then just be a one-and-done version of the NBA Playoffs.

And a big effin "yes" to La. Tech in C-USA. Of all the "out-of-footprint" placements, Tech in the WAC is probably the one that bugged me the most since they were already well within the footprint of two much more suitable conferences.

Rumor I heard recently.

Big East adds:

-Houston

-UCF

-Villanova

C-USA adds:

-Louisiana Tech

-Temple

I could see the Big East creating two "sub-conferences" out of their football and non-football members. The Big East Tournament would then just be a one-and-done version of the NBA Playoffs.

And a big effin "yes" to La. Tech in C-USA. Of all the "out-of-footprint" placements, Tech in the WAC is probably the one that bugged me the most since they were already well within the footprint of two much more suitable conferences.

I did a realignment where I made all the conferences (for football) 12 teams, with the exception of a 14-member MWC and the MAC and Sun Belt at like 13 and 7 or something. They weren't really my focus. But anyway, what I did with the Big East was had enough to get 12 football members and 12 non-football members. I then split them into 2 seperate conferences for non-football sports. I originally was gonna have one conference of football members and one of non-members, but that would divided Georgetown, a pretty traditional Big East basketball school, away from the other "original" Big East members. So instead, I put the teams in the midwest (including TCU and USF) into one "midwest" conference and put the eastern schools, which actually was most of the original members, into the Big East basketball. The breakdown is on my computer at home so I may try and post it tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
Today, we are all otaku.

The one rumor I like is the OVC adding North Alabama.

For those who don't know, North Alabama's current D-II home (Gulf South Conference) has been ripped apart when the six Arkansas schools left to join the three Oklahoma schools from the Lone Star Conference to create a new conference, which is now known as the Great American Conference.

This leaves five schools for football at the moment. The GSC is looking for new members, and one of the options is the University of New Orleans. The school has recently decided to change their plans and go to D-II instead of D-III and possibly add football in the near future.

UNA has a choice here: Either jump ship and move to D-I or wait it out and hope that the GSC can be revived in the near future.

• 4 weeks later...

Not Football Related, but I heard on the news this past weekend that Grand Canyon University was moving up to Division 1 next year in Basketball, with talks of them joining either the Sun Belt or WAC. Don't have a link though

Not Football Related, but I heard on the news this past weekend that Grand Canyon University was moving up to Division 1 next year in Basketball, with talks of them joining either the Sun Belt or WAC. Don't have a link though

I heard the West Coast Conference was where they were looking...

bYhYmxh.png

I heard the West Coast Conference was where they were looking...

The WCC is the only conference which fits their profile.

UC-San Diego (rather their students who will have to pay the additional fees) is mulling the decision to go Division I and apply to the Big West or stay in Division II. Football would not be added.

• 3 weeks later...

April 1 was the informal deadline date for the WAC to announce their next round of expansion. So far nothing for either football or basketball.

However, they are trying to get something (or so they say).

One last thought:

Multiple sources have told me that major college football officials across the country want the WAC to add teams from the Football Championship Subdivision.

Why? The more FBS teams ? there are 120 now, with UTSA and Texas State coming aboard and Villanova likely to join them ? the better the chances of filling 70 bowl slots.

Or they could...you know...shut down some of those money losing tuition sucking wastes of chamber of commerce time. I know this is blasphemy, but still...

Today, we are all otaku.

The guy needs to do a little research. Yes TSU and UTSA are joining but he forgets South Alabama will fully be FBS in 2013. Also, Charlotte, after changing their initial plans of staying FCS, are now considering joining the FBS.

And Villanova isn't anywhere close to being considered "likely" yet. They'll make their decision on the 12 and the last I head in an interview with the head editor of the Villanova Rivals.coim site that was conducted only about 2 weeks before the decision said that he is hearing that among people who matter it is only 51% for and 49% against. When considering a decision of this magnitude you can not just defer to a simple majority. This is why I think Villanova will stay at the FCS level.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Nevada is currently in the re-certification process which started in March, but they face another year of state budget cuts and may place their D-1 status in jeopardy.

From the story:

The Nevada athletic department is bracing for a $1.5 million cut in state-appropriated funds, a move Wolf Pack athletic director Cary Groth said would "change the face of the department."

In the past three years, the Wolf Pack's state-appropriated funds have decreased from $7.054 million to an estimated $3.817 million for the 2012-13 fiscal year.The potential $1.5 million cut would amount to a 7.5 percent reduction in the department's roughly $20 million annual budget.

The move comes at a bad time for a department that ran an $800,000 budget shortfall last fiscal year and will move to the more competitive Mountain West Conference in 2012-13.

To maintain D-I status, Groth said Nevada has to award at least $4 million annually in scholarships. The Pack currently spends $4.6 million, and Groth said she doesn't want to get too close to the $4 million minimum."We're pretty close to the edge as is and scholarships fluctuate every year so if you get too close you put yourself in a potentially bad situation," Groth said.

Nevada also could cut a sport -- it cut men's and women's skiing following the 2009-10 season -- but those options are also limited.

• 2 weeks later...

The University of Massachusetts at Amherst will announce at a press conference at Gillette Stadium tomorrow that the school's football team will be moving to the NCCA Football Bowl Subdivision's Mid-American Conference in time for the 2012 season. With the move, UMass will shift all of its home football games from the on-campus Warren P. McGuirk Alumni Stadium to Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Massachusetts.

UMass football press conference will announce upgrade to FBS

The University of Massachusetts at Amherst will announce at a press conference at Gillette Stadium tomorrow that the school's football team will be moving to the NCCA Football Bowl Subdivision's Mid-American Conference in time for the 2012 season. With the move, UMass will shift all of its home football games from the on-campus Warren P. McGuirk Alumni Stadium to Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Massachusetts.

UMass football press conference will announce upgrade to FBS

3 questions: What is the commute like? Is the attendance going to be like "Temple in the Linc?" Is this a temporary move pending massive stadium building or not?

Today, we are all otaku.