Unpopular Opinions

I hate gray baseball road uniforms.

I need to explain that. I love the tradition behind gray uniforms. But I don't like the actual look of the gray uniforms.

Gray is generally an ugly color. I liked it a lot better when many teams used powder blue for road uniforms. And, as I've said many times before, I'd like to see some teams go back to power blues for the road.

I can think of at least a few teams off the top of my head (Brewers, Royals, Blue Jays... perhaps the Rays) that should be wearing powder blue.

What I humbly think is the best Nats uniform:

71048296_display_image.jpg?1325281036

I had always wanted them to tweak the home colors to match, and was dissapointed when they added more red eventually instead. Not sure why, but I just loved this look. Loved the prominence of navy (helped to separate from the Angels-esque home), loved the script, loved the gold touches on the script and numbers, and just thought it was a sharp uniform. It especially looked great with navy high socks, as depicted by Soriano here. The current roads aren't bad, but the apparent blue-red indecision the look gives off is rather annoying. It also gives off a somewhat Braves-vibe, which as a division foe isn't too good. The inagural roads were much more distinct, in that particular regard.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I had always wanted them to tweak the home colors to match, and was dissapointed when they added more red eventually instead. Not sure why, but I just loved this look. Loved the prominence of navy (helped to separate from the Angels-esque home), loved the script, loved the gold touches on the script and numbers, and just thought it was a sharp uniform. It especially looked great with navy high socks, as depicted by Soriano here. The current roads aren't bad, but the apparent blue-red indecision the look gives off is rather annoying. It also gives off a somewhat Braves-vibe, which as a division foe isn't too good. The inagural roads were much more distinct, in that particular regard.

I agree with you that that was a great uniform, I'm not sure I'd say it was their best ever, but it was a nice uniform. The wordmark was unique and didn't cave in to the traditional cursive route.

The current road uniforms, however, nicely incorporate the curly W.

The thing is, even if they went primarily navy, then people would be complaining about how dull the navy is and how so many other teams use navy and how they should have used red instead.

If they had embraced navy more, they'd look even more like the Braves than they do now. The Braves are a navy-first team.

Embracing red was the safer route here. Because now you have all different color focuses in the NL East: A black team, a blue team, a red team, a red-navy team, and a navy-red team.

I don't see the red-blue indecision you are talking about. I see a team that is red-first, navy-second. That is what they are supposed to be.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I don't see the red-blue indecision you are talking about. I see a team that is red-first, navy-second. That is what they are supposed to be.

I was talking specifically about the current roads, rather than the identity as a whole. It's almost as if, with the red cap brim, undershirts, and socks (not to mention the red-dominant homes as well), they want to be a red team. The navy crown, however, gives off this idea that they're clinging by the fingertips to navy. I just figure they might as well let navy go at this point and throw the red cap onto the roads to finish it off, but alas, the navy crown's still there. The result isn't so much a red-navy balance to me personally as it is "RED!...but we kinda like navy too...maybe." Not sure if I explained that as well, but that's what I was referring to.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

All things Nats should be a navy base with red trim and gold beveling. Any comparisons to the Braves, who have a pretty equal balance between navy and red, would be superficial at best.

Oh, and the DC hat, of course. No curly W. Curly W blows.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

All things Nats should be a navy base with red trim and gold beveling. Any comparisons to the Braves, who have a pretty equal balance between navy and red, would be superficial at best.

Oh, and the DC hat, of course. No curly W. Curly W blows.

Agreed. And that Soriano look was their best road look.

newsig.jpg

The Yankees are the ONLY team that should be wearing pinstripes. Road jerseys should actually be coloured for baseball.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

As I just posted in the 2012 MLB Logo Changes thread, I wish the Twins would move to this combo full time:

new+unis.jpg

I think that's an opinion that's pretty popular out amongst most fans, but wouldn't be here. Might be wrong though.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

I guess I'm not sure which one's the unpopular opinion, because I thought I was the only one that absolutely hates that "Twins" script.

I know I'm one of the few that misses the road pins.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I guess I'm not sure which one's the unpopular opinion, because I thought I was the only one that absolutely hates that "Twins" script.

I also hate that Twins script. It looks off balance and messy. I could see how people would like it, but in the same way I see people like Nickleback.

I've always thought a good "bridge" of sorts between the present and past would've been to inverse the colors of the current "Twins" script to navy outlined in red. Put that on the front of the primary homes, remove the front number, then do the same color change to the back number. In that move, it'd look more like an update to the throwback while still retaining the present.

Oh, and I, too, miss the road pins. Liked them a lot better than the current road.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

I hate that throwback script and the current home script is so much better. It was just stupid that they wore those throwbacks for an entire season. And I long for the road pinstripes. I like road pinstripes. I know that's an unpopular opinion around here.

Here's another: I like when teams outline their numbers and wordmarks with white on their gray road jerseys. Detroit's road uniforms look great with that white outline and I'm not sure they'd look better without it. It adds an extra element.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Still an absolutely awesome jersey... I'm gonna go try to find mine now.

6fQjS3M.png

I loathe that old Twins script also. So, so messy, and it still doesn't match their boring road script. However, while the road pinstripes were cool, the generic block script wasn't. I don't understand how the Twins still refuse to see the obvious solution: a Minnesota script in the same font as their awesome regular Twins script.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I hate the Mariners teal jersey. I mean I love it, but not for a major league baseball team. The M's should be navy then teal.... then silver. It just doesn't look good in today's world.

The vintage Twins script is friggen awful. Look at how unbalanced that bad Larry is. If that was a brand new script you guys would rip it to shreds. Don't get the love for it.

I hate the Mariners teal jersey. I mean I love it, but not for a major league baseball team. The M's should be navy then teal.... then silver. It just doesn't look good in today's world.

The vintage Twins script is friggen awful. Look at how unbalanced that bad Larry is. If that was a brand new script you guys would rip it to shreds. Don't get the love for it.

The problem with the Mariners teal jersey is the silver script. It needs to be navy so something will match the navy crown of the cap.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

• I think the "Minnesota" script is the only good thing about the Twins' identity
  • I thought the Twins looked good in road pinstripes
  • I hate both the curly "W" and the "DC" logo
  • The Nats have never had a great identity. The original set was OK, but their current set sucks.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The problem with the Mariners teal jersey is the silver script. It needs to be navy so something will match the navy crown of the cap.

But the silver wordmark matches better with the silver S on the cap, cooridinating the cap and jersey much better than a navy wordmark would.