buckeye

College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

1,367 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Webfooter said:

The lack of white on the red and blue jerseys and the helmet logos and the awful number font are probably my biggest issues with the set.

The biggest issue with this set is that it exists

4 people like this

On June 27, 2017 at 3:13 PM, H11K said:

Well, I don't have pictures of arizona's new unis. But my friend on the team texted me saying he thought they were okay, but a little disappointed. Followed up by, "They're pretty bland, I liked the older ones better." But knowing him he likes flashy stuff, so for us here on the boards these uniforms could be great.

Turns out, your friend wasn't wrong. 

8 hours ago, Rixaroo said:

Man that's bad. The only good part is the white jerseys. 

Yeah usually I don't like away football jerseys in general but this one looks like its the best one than the home and alt jerseys.

I have a lot of "Why couldn'ts" with Arizona's set but also a few things I like

• Why couldn't the numbers on the dark jerseys just be white. The cardinal and navy don't really show up too well on each other why not just have white numbers with a cardianl outline for the navy jersey and vice versa for the cardinal jersey
  • Why Couldn't they go back to the fading double stripe motif. That used to be the best part of their uniform set, and it and Arizona Arizona
  • why couldn't they find a way to get the words Bear Down somewhere on the uni. 

Now for the positives 

• The white Jerseys look pretty good, I would like for them to have used a faded stripe but it's not bad at all. It's clean, the numbers are visible and it's going to make for a great jersey to wear on away games
  • The Helmets, I think they are fantastic. I really like how they put the logo on it with the logo just being a solid color

Overall I'd grade the set at about a C+ with the white jersey and the helmets being the major saving grace to it.

14 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

So, some jackass looked at West Virginia's horrific font and said can we get that too?

What is the Nike speak on the West Virginia font for Arizona? Didn't Nike say that the font was an ode to something in West Virginia?

Did anyone else catch a patter on the numbers?  Or was that just a weird clip?

To be honest... I kinda like these. I actually like the font, though I would've made the numbers white on the Navy and red jerseys. Only other thing I'd do is add a navy facemask to the red and white helmets, but other than that, as long as they wear the right combos, I'm satisfied.

Someday we'll look back in this era like we look back on bell bottom jeans and polyester suits. 

3 people like this

2 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

What is the Nike speak on the West Virginia font for Arizona? Didn't Nike say that the font was an ode to something in West Virginia?

A pickaxe. Cause coal miners.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Our font is still much worse than Arizona's.  No one can out suck WVU's numbers.

3 people like this

15 hours ago, H11K said:

Yeah, well they looked fine even in the 2000-2010 era, with the piping what not, it was at least simple. And the Nick Files era look was superb don't question me. But these last 5 years of uniforms, bad. Just bad.

I agree. The Foles-era jersey was a great modernization of the classic '90s look, especially once they ditched the piping.

Nick+Foles+Arizona+v+Oklahoma+State+ThWoQwCbf9El.jpgNick+Foles+UCLA+v+Arizona+q3XM23xbIkyl.jpg

4 people like this

28 minutes ago, Clintau24 said:

A pickaxe. Cause coal miners.

So I guess in Arizona's case, a pickaxe because copper miners?

2 people like this

Am I the only one who doesn't think the new number font is bad at all? It's definitely a lot better than the WVU number font it's being compared to.

4 people like this

Well done, Cal. 

3 people like this

Cal and Under Armour have used the Sather Stripe really well. Looks great on the shoulders. I kinda wish they had put the full California script on the chest just so we don't have Cal script on the chest and helmet and pants.

5 people like this

Finally! Some good news! Thanks, Cal! 

33 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Cal just unveiled their new home uniform:

IMG_5420.thumb.PNG.0fff9396e546e20d0f66f2c332f3f290.PNGIMG_5421.thumb.PNG.ff741ae7f3d52734bc7f8a8d40ebf5bd.PNGIMG_5422.thumb.PNG.5ea9d9c4993c61d49293b27255ff4105.PNGIMG_5424.thumb.PNG.ee9f2fb9e2f26b9b644a3ad323105e73.PNG

https://www.calbearsbrand.com/fb-home

Blue over gold for the win.

After being annoyingly told over and over that schools do their promotional images in monochrome because "it's the best way to show all the different combinations" (which I still say is obvious crap), Cal debuts their uniform in the best possible home combo... because "it's the best way to show that you consider yourselves to be a top tier program."

4 people like this

33 minutes ago, Clintau24 said:

Cal and Under Armour have used the Sather Stripe really well. Looks great on the shoulders. I kinda wish they had put the full California script on the chest just so we don't have Cal script on the chest and helmet and pants.

I agree completely. Also sort of wish the new C-Bear logo was somewhere other than just the front of the helmet.

3 people like this

Would these be better with the full California script on the chest? Yes.

Would these be better with the new Bear logo somewhere more prominent? Yes.

But I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth here. This set has the mandatory modern pieces of flair but still manages to be coherent and allows Cal to look like Cal. Very solid so far.

3 people like this