LA Clippers New Logos & Uniforms?

bartodell

Just off the top of my head, the Buffaslug and recent Buccanears updates received even worse of a reaction than this change. Jaguars current helmet is consistently referred to as the worst uniform element in sports. There's likely other recent changes that were worse than this too.

You'd have to consider the popularity of the NBA vs. the NHL or NFL on the boards when comparing its reaction to logo changes. The Packers changing their logo might get more of a reaction than the entire NBA folding on here.

Anyway, I keep hoping something is just missing with the Clippers' update. That CLA ball is fine as a secondary and the wordmark is fine (if that's all it is), but I'm really hoping we haven't seen the primary yet.

PJU85JF.png

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at it. Look at it again. I can't think of a worse indentity change I have ever seen, possibly in the history of sports.

It's not even the worst identity in the NBA right now.

khmovcnezy06c3nm05ccn0oj2.gif

Just an awful logo that gets a free pass from folks in OKC because it's their team. I'm imagining, for one second, the outcry from fans in Seattle, Los Angeles, or Atlanta if that logo was released in their colors along with "Sonics," "Lakers," or "Hawks" above it and "SEA," "LA," or "ATL" in place of "OKC." Easily the worst logo in the NBA.

Well, as far as it getting a "free pass from folks in OKC", it's the only logo the team has ever had, so it's not like there's going to be outcry to "go back" to something, and it's not like the team has a past track record of popular logos (again, since they've only had one.)

Also, assuming you don't live in or around OKC, let's not pretend to know what they think of the logo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It "gets a pass" because the team began to contend almost as soon as they arrived. It's the textbook case of success making up for a poor visual identity.

Average Joe isn't going to see the EA similarity. I would never have even thought of it had it not been posted here. Even having it pointed out, I think it's a bit of a stretch. The iverson logo comparison is even more of a stretch (and even fewer people would catch that one.)

There's been so much hyperbole expressed about this logo that it's getting silly. It's obviously not the popular choice, or even that well done, but it's far from the travesty that it's being made out to be.

I'll be honest here any say that I didn't see the EA Sports similarity without someone here pointing it out either, despite me owning several NBA Live games.

However, it's not hyperbole. The logo really is that bad. Look at it. Look at it again. I can't think of a worse indentity change I have ever seen, possibly in the history of sports. That's not hyperbole, that is my honest opinion.

It's all of our honest opinions. 99% of the Sports Logos community feels this way.

But causual fans won't care about it too much. And from what I've learned, those same causual fans (who far outnumber sports logo enthusiasts) are going to eat up all the new merch that's going to come out. The Clippers are gonna be a top seller, just because it's new stuff. And people love to buy new stuff.

Just off the top of my head, the Buffaslug and recent Buccanears updates received even worse of a reaction than this change. Jaguars current helmet is consistently referred to as the worst uniform element in sports. There's likely other recent changes that were worse than this too.

Look I'm not going to argue against anyone's opinion - can't really say that an opinion is wrong- but I do think that this is one of thsoe typical CCLSC knee-jerk overreactions that will settle down once the real threads are revealed.

It's certainly not the direction I would have gone in - then again, 99% of the concepts that use cute boats or pastel colors would be worse in reality.

I do see where you're coming from, because it's not even the worst logo in the NBA. That probably says more about the lack of quality among NBA primaries then it says about the new Clippers logo's quality though.

That being said I don't think "knee jerk" is such a bad thing in this case. Is the Clippers logo the worst rebrand of all time? No. Is it still terrible? Yeah. Yeah it is.

And I still feel the boat idea has merit. Even if most of the concepts that use it miss the mark. It goes against my preference that Los Angeles and New York teams emphasize the city over their nicknames, but the Clippers are clearly the step-children of the market in ways other LA and NY "B teams" aren't. So I don't mind the idea of a Clippers identity that emphasizes the nautical theme.

I can't think of a worse indentity change I have ever seen, possibly in the history of sports. That's not hyperbole, that is my honest opinion.

Worse identity change? Let me help jog your memory ...

7195_new_york_islanders-jersey-1996.png

1280px-Buffalo_Sabres.svg.png

toronto-blue-jays-logo_facebook_timeline

Clippers is far, FAR worse

Today's game might be the last of the current set, which is sad in a way. The Clippers have been so bad for so long, but they've generally looked good.

Here's my favorite Clips set (and my favorite Clippers player):

cassell_20292987.jpg

EDIT:

And for fun, in honor of Cassell:

sam-cassell-testicle-dance-o.gif

(Sadly, I couldn't find this dance in a Clippers uniform)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

NFL has 4: Buccaneers, Jets, Browns, and Raiders.

NHL has 6: Avalanche, Penguins, Sharks, Capitals, Hurricanes, and Islanders. Hurricanes center is a stylized puck. 7 total pieces of equipment, though (Caps have two).

MLB has 12: Red Sox, Twins, Yankees, Mariners, Rangers, Blue Jays, Rockies, Dodgers, Brewers, Mets, Giants, and Cardinals.

NBA has 21: Hawks, Celtics, Nets, Hornets, Cavs, Mavs, Pistons, Pacers, Clippers, Lakers, Heat, Pelicans, Knicks, Thunder, Magic, Sixers, Suns, Kings, Raptors, Jazz, and Wizards. Arguement for 22 is that the Rockets' logo is taking off through a hoop.

MLS has 8: Rapids, Crew (stylized ball in crest), Dynamo, DC, Revolution, Red Bull, Earthquakes, and Real SL.

I'd say you have to add in the new Bucks logo because the antlers are supposed to form the lines on a basketball.

Also, I edited my previous post to include the ones you pointed out. Even with the additional ones, none of the other leagues reach the level of equipment-containing logos as the NBA.

Now looking back on it, it's refreshing to realize how Golden State de-emphasized the basketball, and it turned out great for them.

Tf9TG.jpg

I can't think of a worse indentity change I have ever seen, possibly in the history of sports. That's not hyperbole, that is my honest opinion.

7195_new_york_islanders-jersey-1996.png

1280px-Buffalo_Sabres.svg.png

toronto-blue-jays-logo_facebook_timeline

Am I a bad person if I love those Islanders and Jays logos? Given a different template, that Islanders logo and colors would have been a great progression for that team.

And for the Jays if they would have used something with a lot more blue and the latter road jersey they would have had something.

7195_new_york_islanders-jersey-1996.png1280px-Buffalo_Sabres.svg.pngtoronto-blue-jays-logo_facebook_timeline

Am I a bad person if I love those Islanders and Jays logos? Given a different template, that Islanders logo and colors would have been a great progression for that team.

And for the Jays if they would have used something with a lot more blue and the latter road jersey they would have had something.

The logo may have been plausible for a team named the Chickadees as that's what it looks like. It's an atrocious rendering of a Bluejay.

7195_new_york_islanders-jersey-1996.png1280px-Buffalo_Sabres.svg.pngtoronto-blue-jays-logo_facebook_timeline

Nope I'm right there with you. Both logos were great. I loved the Fisherman. The problems with those was that the Isles replaced tradition and classic uniforms with some wave gimmick nonsense and the BLUE Jays became a predominantly BLACK team, because other than the initial ugly graphite home hats that look was great in a vacuum.

R.I.P. Clippers Logo. Still shocked LAC blew a 3-1 series lead, but they did and a new era - a crappier looking one - will soon be upon us. Not sure what's more surprising: the Clippers collapse or the approval of this new brand identity. Either way, the Clips as we knew them, are no longer...

NFL has 4: Buccaneers, Jets, Browns, and Raiders.

NHL has 6: Avalanche, Penguins, Sharks, Capitals, Hurricanes, and Islanders. Hurricanes center is a stylized puck. 7 total pieces of equipment, though (Caps have two).

MLB has 12: Red Sox, Twins, Yankees, Mariners, Rangers, Blue Jays, Rockies, Dodgers, Brewers, Mets, Giants, and Cardinals.

NBA has 21: Hawks, Celtics, Nets, Hornets, Cavs, Mavs, Pistons, Pacers, Clippers, Lakers, Heat, Pelicans, Knicks, Thunder, Magic, Sixers, Suns, Kings, Raptors, Jazz, and Wizards. Arguement for 22 is that the Rockets' logo is taking off through a hoop.

MLS has 8: Rapids, Crew (stylized ball in crest), Dynamo, DC, Revolution, Red Bull, Earthquakes, and Real SL.

May I ask where the soccer ball is in the Crew logo?

spacer.png

If the Clippers stick with the ball logo and downplay the primary like the Jazz then it's really not horrible. My main concern is the two alternate uniforms (IF those horrible photoshops are in fact legitimate). Having that many alternate uniforms when trying to establish a new identity is ridiculous especially with them not even having wordmarks.

VmWIn6B.png

May I ask where the soccer ball is in the Crew logo?
Good catch. There isn't one, but there is one in Toronto's logo:

0gfaomjubvw58whdep6w.gif

I was going to point out TFC, but I wasn't quite sure if the pentagons were intentional or not.

spacer.png

The center of the logo is a representation of a soccer ball, per a member of the Crew Supporters (Hudson Street Hooligans); the diagonal lines represent the other clubs of the inaugural MLS season; and the checkerboard represents the supporters, themselves.

Also, I wasn't quite sure of the pentagons, either. Good catch.

Archived