NHL 2017-18

Bmac

1 hour ago, wildwing64 said:

The All Star jerseys are now up on the NHL shop.

The Fanatics versions look way better without the Addydass side panels.

It might look better, but those three stripes, despite technically being a manufacturer's mark, are part of the look of the jersey.

For the first time that I know of, we have a visible difference in appearance between replica and authentic, not just a difference in quality.

That's a dangerous precedent set.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Brass said:

Let's also eliminate the amount of goddamned outdoor games, too.

Most puzzling.  

It seems clear that the outdoor games are pretty darn popular.  There are few enough of them that each one is a special event; yet there are enough of them that many teams can look towards participating.

And the uniforms that they generate have been beautiful. 

I can't imagine wanting this to stop.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Most puzzling.  

It seems clear that the outdoor games are pretty darn popular.  There are few enough of them that each one is a special event; yet there are enough of them that many teams can look towards participating.

I kinda wonder if in 30 years or so if one team will open up an outdoor facility with 20,000 seats and play all of its games outdoors. Seems like it could work in Toronto or something.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

26 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Most puzzling.  

The first year of the stadium series was terrible, both in terms of overkill on the games and jersey design. 

Currently though? 2-3 games, as others have said is a great number. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

53 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I kinda wonder if in 30 years or so if one team will open up an outdoor facility with 20,000 seats and play all of its games outdoors. Seems like it could work in Toronto or something.

Might work for the Leafs, since they never play in June.

I’ll show myself out.

On 1/17/2018 at 8:24 PM, VikWings said:

What the hell is going on with the bottom stripe? It’s so big it almost gives off a a half and half look. It looks like that old gradient Canucks alt but without the gradient.

And why are the so against putting the WEagle on a jersey and instead are using a stupid nickname? Are the afraid people will realize that logo is better than their current?

The oversized hem stripe is drafted off the old Capitals jerseys, which had a monster hem design as well, and to be honest, I think it works, but only for the Capitals. They have a text logo that is very horizontal in composition, and a normal sized hem design makes the jersey appear rather empty.

home-main.jpg

On 1/17/2018 at 10:03 PM, Morgo said:

A child could design a better uniform than the Capitals Stadium Series jersey.  How difficult would have been to separate the navy and red with white stripes to add contrast and balance out the uniform?  The nickname wordmarks weren't cool in 2008 with the "Sens" and "Bolts" either.

I think it could work well with some heavy white stripes to go with the red, or some more detail, like stars on the blue sleeves, a red/white “flag stripe” motif, or even chiseled marble numbers, but apart from the nickname mark, I also really like this uniform as is.

I think leaving the white out of the stripes is less expected, very clean looking, and decidedly “non-retro” despite being heavily inspired by team heritage, which is to say it does a good job exemplifying the philosophy of Stadium Series; past meets future. It sets the stripes back and puts the emphasis on the mark, the numbers, and the white shoulders (another fixture of early Capitals jerseys).

I especially like the color balance. I think I prefer more blue than red for this team A. because there are too many red home jerseys in the league (a half dozen in the East alone), and B. because it feels more stately, formal, and professional, like the proper color scheme of the nation’s capital. That said, I think the bones could also work as a red-dominant uniform that takes this idea even closer to being an update to their classic look.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

20 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The calps? ^_^ But yeah, I've always been a bigger fan of that font over the current font.

I wouldn't go that far.

I think the capitals logo is a solid logotype or whatever you wanna call it, it's just not ideal for a primary logo on a jersey. And the caps bastardisation is pretty bad, unsurprisingly.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

9 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

The oversized hem stripe is drafted off the old Capitals jerseys, which had a monster hem design as well, and to be honest, I think it works, but only for the Capitals. They have a text logo that is very horizontal in composition, and a normal sized hem design makes the jersey appear rather empty.

home-main.jpg

It should be noted that the best sweater in this picture is on the right.

90758391980.gif

16 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

home-main.jpg

I think it could work well with some heavy white stripes to go with the red, or some more detail, like stars on the blue sleeves, a red/white “flag stripe” motif, or even chiseled marble numbers, but apart from the nickname mark, I also really like this uniform as is.

Yeah the older fat hemstripes were better, because they weren't a solid one-color cumberbund. The Caps missed the mark this year by making a 12" thick hemstripe solid red.

The Caps also missed the opportunity to FINALLY use the Weagle on a jersey. It seems like fans have been wanting it for a while, and instead of seizing the opportunity, they went with a mediocre nickname logo based off of an already-mediocre primary...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 1/18/2018 at 1:34 PM, hockey week said:

It might look better, but those three stripes, despite technically being a manufacturer's mark, are part of the look of the jersey.

For the first time that I know of, we have a visible difference in appearance between replica and authentic, not just a difference in quality.

That's a dangerous precedent set.

Are you talking about NHL jerseys only or other sports?  A long time ago when the Vancouver Grizzlies were born, the retail versions didn't have the west coast trim that were on the authentic jersey.  I believe others have mentioned other examples on this board.

f_as_in_frank_vintage_clothing_142_4f3c34312491.jpg

Honestly, I don't think not having the 3 stripes on the Fanatics version is going to be a big deal.  Those 3 stripes shouldn't even be there considering how visually unappealing it is on the jerseys regardless of Adidas needing everyone to know it's an Adidas jersey immediately.  I'd be more worried if they started changing much more important details such as if the colours were off or the stripes might be slightly different.  For example, the detail on the gold stripe and logo of the Golden Knights.

17 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

home-main.jpg

I think that's a good catch on the old jersey, but there are just too many elements missing from the jersey in question to make it work in my mind. For starters (as others have mentioned) the absence of any other stripes on the hem just throw off the balance of the jersey and lead to a bloated "cummerbund" effect (especially in contract to the darker navy...it literally makes the red appear to bulge).  Just as importantly though, the blade on the stick nicely parallels the red stripe and integrates it nicely with the stripes. The angle on the new logotype is too severe to be balanced with a horizontal stripe...but this is a moot point anyway as the shortened nickname logotype doesn't even feature the stick.

As others have pointed out, seeing all three generations of jersey side by side is a striking demonstration of how awful their branding has been throughout their history. The original set has a certain charm to it (the unabashed patriotic kitsch of it all...the hockey jersey equivalent of PBR) but it lacks the professional refinement that has come to define contemporary sports branding. What's crazy is that the team stuck with this look until 1995...let that sink in. I admit I have a soft spot for the blue and bronze jersey, it really is the best the team has ever looked, even if it traded in the classic red, white, and blue for MCI blue and bronze. The tragedy is I feel like any other team in any other market would still be wearing those colors to this day (they're classy *and* unique), but because they play in the nation's capital the team will forever be tied to red, white, and blue. Last but not least there is the reheated pile of dog food that is their current set. I know some were excited to see a return to something resembling the original logotype...but the resemblance is only passing...and it comes attached to a  truly uninspiring jersey.

The more time goes by the more I realize how truly awful the Reebok redesign was for the league...is there a single team that started the 2007-2008 season with a better look than what they had in 2006-2007?

27 minutes ago, Thaumatrope said:

The more time goes by the more I realize how truly awful the Reebok redesign was for the league...is there a single team that started the 2007-2008 season with a better look than what they had in 2006-2007?

The Sharks, Canucks, Bruins, maybe?

Even the "best" look for the Capitals is way too over-designed. It would also be helpful to note that by the end of that set's life, this had become their main sweater:

ovech01.jpg

I could go into all of the perspective, type, and detail problems that the logo had (and how the sweater minimized the blue in favor of black/gold), but other posters have done that. It's a shame that they've never had a good look, despite all of the potential within their logo sets. It's kind of like the team, in a way.

4 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Even the "best" look for the Capitals is way too over-designed. It would also be helpful to note that by the end of that set's life, this had become their main sweater:

ovech01.jpg

I could go into all of the perspective, type, and detail problems that the logo had (and how the sweater minimized the blue in favor of black/gold), but other posters have done that. It's a shame that they've never had a good look, despite all of the potential within their logo sets. It's kind of like the team, in a way.

That's a fair assessment. Of the three I still think Boston was the only one to really nail it. Ironic that they took such a big step back with the transition to Adidas. San Jose and Vancouver both improved but neither look quite hit the mark.

I agree that the black capitol building look was by far the worst of the blue and bronze, and fittingly marked the death of that particular brand. I share your assessment that the Capitals are an organization that both on and off the ice can't quite seem to get everything to click. In this respect I see them as the east coast twin of Vancouver. Both teams have come (painfully) close to greatness both on and off the ice but keep coming up short. I admit I wonder how much the changing branding of both organizations can be seen as an extension of their collective frustration.

2 hours ago, Thaumatrope said:

Agreed.  It destroyed so many good looks and the league still hasn't recovered.

1 hour ago, Thaumatrope said:

That's a fair assessment. Of the three I still think Boston was the only one to really nail it. Ironic that they took such a big step back with the transition to Adidas. San Jose and Vancouver both improved but neither look quite hit the mark.

I think Vancouver nailed it (the 2011 final looked fantastic) but besides those two teams, there were few true upgrades.  Only other team I can think of is Columbus and that's only because their previous set was terrible.  The Sharks could have been put in this category if they passed on the front numbers and used silver instead of orange.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

ovech01.jpg

Is it me or does it look like Ovechkin is wearing a replica jersey? Crest seems small, stripes seem thin. 

I was excited for the Caps to bring back the red, white, and blue (plus the Weagle is great), but the jersey has not aged well.

Archived