XFL 2023 Logos, Names and Uniforms

The Golden One

7 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Compared to how it was 40-60 years ago, oh yea it is!

"Wussified" implies that it's a bad thing. It is not bad at all that you can't go crazy in the old ways. Maybe you won't get things like this happening (in spoilers, as it's a car crash photo and a movie recreation):

Spoiler

15brain.650.2.jpg

It was the most graphic example I could imagine.

• Like 3

I can see the "boring" argument for literally any sport. The NFL is by no means immune. @Ted Cunningham made some great points, many I hadn't even considered before. Parity IMO is good but as a result of the sport itself I think football tends to be less individualistic, and so the differences between teams are mired. You don't see player's faces so that takes away an element of individuality as well. We rarely have real "stars" in the league that aren't quarterbacks or their wide receiver counterparts.

My issue with the NFL in terms of excitement: Too many flags. I'm in favor of increasing safety measures, but there are so many complex rules for fans to keep track of and so many penalties. It not only sucks because it constantly kills the flow of the game for reviews or ref announcements, but penalties determine so much about an NFL game. Drives are constantly killed or saved by discipline/lack thereof rather than the talent and execution of plays by the teams. It's boring (I still like watching football, just making the point).

And for football in general, most plays are either a missed catch or a gain or minimal yards by a simple catch and or run. Most of the game time is spent watching a bunch of dudes get in line. Field goals are only exciting if it's over 50 yards or at the end of a game. The extra point is kinda dumb. The kickoff is dumb and dangerous. Punts are boring unless it's returned for a TD. Not hard to figure why someone would find the game boring.

I prefer college football but I think that's largely due to the fact that in college I get to root for Ohio State while in the NFL I root for the Browns. I'd much rather the Browns win a title but even with the Browns having talent on their roster at the moment I'd take an OSU game 9/10.

EDIT: As an example, I've recently watched some football with my girlfriend who basically doesn't care about sports. I actually enjoy explaining things during the game to an enthusiastic listener so it's been fun. She mentioned how many of the penalties/rules feel like whoever created the sport kept coming up with excuses for why they win, "nuh uh you can't touch me after this many yards it's against the rules," etc. etc.

44 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Compared to how it was 40-60 years ago, oh yea it is!

40-60 years ago, players weren't nearly as big and weren't moving nearly as fast. Collisions now are much more intense than back in the day.

Besides, better rule enforcement doesn't equal "wussification."

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mkg74 said:

Lots of people say this too. And if he doesn’t meddle in anything? You and the like will still try to find everything and any excuse to trash the league. Amiright? 

First off, no.

Secondly, I'm a pro wrestling fan. I know ALL about Vince's tendency to tinker. From rewriting Raw and SmackDown scripts from the bottom up with just an hour to go before showtime to his tendency to force all talent to acclimate to what he considers "main event" style wrestling. Vince micromanaged, he can't help it. Anyone who's followed his primary business venture for any significant amount of time would know that. 

On top of that? He already meddled in a football league he owned, called the XFL! This isn't theoretical. You know what you're getting with Vince McMahon upfront. 

Finally, I'm not some alternate football junkie who need some other American league to exist for whatever reason (probably to fill that USFL sized hole in your heart). 

I liked the AAF because the product was fun for what it was and I didn't hold any ill will towards the people running it. They were idiots of course, but if they managed to succeed despite themselves? I wouldn't complain. I'd just enjoy their product for what it was. 

Vince though? Vince is different. From using gangster tactics to bully arenas out of hosting rival wrestling promotions to underhanded tactics to screw over those rivals on ppv and tv time to his refusal to even admit his wrestlers are his employees so he can continue not giving them health insurance? Vince McMahon is a truly loathsome individual. The XFL failing again would be karma. 

• Like 3

*ahem*

A reminder to everyone that this thread is in the Sports Logos News section of the forum, and should be used to discuss the names and logos for XFL 2.0 — and not the viability of the league and/or speculation of the sort of product it will put on the field compared to the NFL.

There is a thread in the Sports in General forum where those sorts of matters may be discussed, but I would encourage you not to have the same circular speculative yes-they-will-no-they-won't discussions between now and February as have been occurring lately, lest I and the rest of the moderating team develop the urge to slam our heads through walls.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2019 at 3:49 PM, mkg74 said:

People shouldnt be judging these upstart leagues on Week 1, it's ignorance and an obvious lack of football knowledge.

How is it ignorant or a lack of football knowledge to examine past evidence based on literally every other league and see that this structure they try over and over and over and over won't work? Literally every single alternative football league does the exact same thing and it fails every time. There are hurdles they can never overcome.

1) The talent isn't there and never will be. The AFL pulled it off because they had money and there were only 12 teams in the NFL in 1960; the talent pool still had plenty of options for elite talent. The USFL sort of pulled it off for the same reasons, but even they had to sue in an attempt to stay afloat. These alternative leagues are worse than college football because it's filled with college level talent and literally none of the dynamic NFL caliber players that are exciting to watch on Saturdays. At best you're getting a single player who makes the jump and succeeds, but the rest of the XFL players will be guys who would be lucky to be depth talent in the pros.

Combine this with the fact that any college football weekend there are 4+ games on at any time, and you can find an interesting game to watch (This is likely a big reason why people like college football more than the NFL). With the XFL you'll have 4 games in one day, and maybe you'll get to see 1 or 2. And you're stuck with it no matter how bad the game is.

2) These alternative leagues have zero historical significance to rely upon. Again, overall NCAA talent is worse and more diluted, but people love it because they have emotional ties that can last generations. Millions of people attend colleges and universities, and have family who attended them (This is the second reason I think why a lot of us prefer college football better than the NFL). College football digs into that sense of being the way that pro sports did during their formative years. The Seattle Dragons, a team created a month ago owned by an unlikable multi-millionaire will create no interest or bond for a vast majority of people.

3) Leagues nowadays have insane upkeep costs. The financial structure just isn't there to allow them to survive. The AAF had hundreds of millions invested and it collapsed within two months. Every single year makes it even more difficult to meet these financial burdens. Especially when an entire league has less funding than a single NFL or top college team.

Quite frankly, it's ignorant and lacks football knowledge to put one's faith in any of these leagues surviving beyond one season. It still blows my mind the UFL made it four seasons before folding.

• Like 1

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

My issue with the NFL in terms of excitement: Too many flags. I'm in favor of increasing safety measures, but there are so many complex rules for fans to keep track of and so many penalties.

I understand being bored by a lack of flow in the game.  But too often the complaint of "too many flags" becomes a complaint about the rules or about the officials.  However, if the players stayed within the rules, then you won't have many flags. Last week in a CFL game, a beautifully executed fake punt by Ottawa was called back because the receiver was ineligible, as he had not been included in a list of eligible receivers that must be submitted before the game.  I think.  Anyway, no one blames the officials on that; the Ottawa coach accepted that it was his mistake.

Last year there was an incident in the NFL in which a lineman went in for a sack, and then let go of the quarterback when he saw that his momentum was going to result in slamming the quarterback to the turf.  I read plenty of complaints about this, as though it was a bad thing. But, in reality, if a player doesn't do a particular act because he thinks that that act is against the rules, that's exactly how it's supposed to work.  After the Hal McRae rule went into effect in baseball, runners stopped creaming the second baseman on a double play by sliding out of the baseline.  

Another important point is that replay review does not have to be boring.  The Arena Football League and later the AAF showed that replay review can actually be exciting if we are shown exactly what the officials are seeing, and if we can hear their conversations and their analysis.  All leagues should follow this example.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

38 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

First off, no.

Secondly, I'm a pro wrestling fan. I know ALL about Vince's tendency to tinker. From rewriting Raw and SmackDown scripts from the bottom up with just an hour to go before showtime to his tendency to force all talent to acclimate to what he considers "main event" style wrestling. Vince micromanaged, he can't help it. Anyone who's followed his primary business venture for any significant amount of time would know that. 

On top of that? He already meddled in a football league he owned, called the XFL! This isn't theoretical. You know what you're getting with Vince McMahon upfront. 

Finally, I'm not some alternate football junkie who need some other American league to exist for whatever reason (probably to fill that USFL sized hole in your heart). 

I liked the AAF because the product was fun for what it was and I didn't hold any ill will towards the people running it. They were idiots of course, but if they managed to succeed despite themselves? I wouldn't complain. I'd just enjoy their product for what it was. 

Vince though? Vince is different. From using gangster tactics to bully arenas out of hosting rival wrestling promotions to underhanded tactics to screw over those rivals on ppv and tv time to his refusal to even admit his wrestlers are his employees so he can continue not giving them health insurance? Vince McMahon is a truly loathsome individual. The XFL failing again would be karma. 

He also has AEW to contend with so the chances of him interfering 100% in NXT is very likely if The Jacksonville Jaguars owned promotion crushes NXT in the ratings. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

When are the uniforms being unveiled? I hope they are on the more conservative, traditional, timeless side but fear they are going to want to appeal to the gaming crowd. 

I would not be at all surprised if they announce their apparel supplier within the next few weeks. 

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I understand being bored by a lack of flow in the game.  But too often the complaint of "too many flags" becomes a complaint about the rules or about the officials.  However, if the players stayed within the rules, then you won't have many flags. Last week in a CFL game, a beautifully executed fake punt by Ottawa was called back because the receiver was ineligible, as he had not been included in a list of eligible receivers that must be submitted before the game.  I think.  Anyway, no one blames the officials on that; the Ottawa coach accepted that it was his mistake.

Last year there was an incident in the NFL in which a lineman went in for a sack, and then let go of the quarterback when he saw that his momentum was going to result in slamming the quarterback to the turf.  I read plenty of complaints about this, as though it was a bad thing. But, in reality, if a player doesn't do a particular act because he thinks that that act is against the rules, that's exactly how it's supposed to work.  After the Hal McRae rule went into effect in baseball, runners stopped creaming the second baseman on a double play by sliding out of the baseline.  

Another important point is that replay review does not have to be boring.  The Arena Football League and later the AAF showed that replay review can actually be exciting if we are shown exactly what the officials are seeing, and if we can hear their conversations and their analysis.  All leagues should follow this example.

"However, if the players stayed within the rules, then you won't have many flags"

No offense but this isn't incredibly insightful, John Madden. It's a sport with a lot of rules. Some are to protect players, some to keep the game fair, etc. Doesn't make it any less boring to watch flag after flag/see great plays overturned/games determined by penalties. Either it's a problem that can be addressed (adjusting rules/gameplay to reduce the violations/interference) or we live with it and stop being surprised that someone finds the sport boring/dumb.

And yes, even showing us what happens in the booth would eventually be boring/is already boring to people who aren't nerds.

Apologies for continuing a technically off topic discussion. Ummmm... I hope the XFL continues using nicknames on jerseys?

12 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

"However, if the players stayed within the rules, then you won't have many flags"

No offense but this isn't incredibly insightful, John Madden.

It's not meant to be insightful. In fact it's bloody obvious. Yet people still manage to ignore it and blame the rules instead of the players and coaches.

16 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

I hope the XFL continues using nicknames on jerseys?

Haven't they already said that they will not? I don't remember for sure, but I think so.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

59 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It's not meant to be insightful. In fact it's bloody obvious. Yet people still manage to ignore it and blame the rules instead of the players and coaches.

Haven't they already said that they will not? I don't remember for sure, but I think so.

They have said that the names on the back of the jerseys will be like the NFL.