Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

12 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I still think it's too early:

Des Moines and Omaha don't work if they keep the current system in place and start the season in February. It's the first of March and still supposed to snow again, I guarantee nobody would be attending football games in this weather.

Also, Omaha's only true football stadium belongs to a high school. I assume any new team would play at the baseball stadium again, but after the Nighthawks and Mammoths failed I don't see much support for future teams.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Wings said:

Someone please remove Portland from that list. Minor league football will die a fast death here. 

For what it’s worth, the Freedom Football League (TO/Ricky William’s League) has a team there if they ever actually start playing

9 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Well it's a good thing that the AAF is professional football. Now you have nothing to worry about.

Are you contractually obligated to maintain a pretense that the AAF is on the same level of competition as the NFL?  Because that reassurance just sounds silly on the face of it.  Minor League sports are also professional sports, since professionalism simply means the players are paid to play.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

3 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Are you contractually obligated to maintain a pretense that the AAF is on the same level of competition as the NFL?  Because that reassurance just sounds silly on the face of it.  Minor League sports are also professional sports, since professionalism simply means the players are paid to play.

I was a fan, and supporter, of the AAF long before I ever got hired. I love spring football in general. Wether it was the WFL, USFL, UFL, WLAF, etc. And they are all professional football in my eyes. And pro or not, what makes you think that a team would't work in Portland? The pacific northwest needs more pro football than just the Seahawks and XFL Seattle.

25 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

And pro or not, what makes you think that a team would't work in Portland? The pacific northwest needs more pro football than just the Seahawks and XFL Seattle.

Nobody needs more football leagues. There may be sections of the populace that want it, but nobody really needs it. Also, you’re directly competing with one of the most popular MLS teams for market share and for a venue. Don’t you think that might be a problem?

I get that you want to stick up for your employer and the entire idea of Spring football, but you have to admit when a market has too many cons instead of pros.

1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I was a fan, and supporter, of the AAF long before I ever got hired. I love spring football in general. Wether it was the WFL, USFL, UFL, WLAF, etc. And they are all professional football in my eyes. And pro or not, what makes you think that a team would't work in Portland? The pacific northwest needs more pro football than just the Seahawks and XFL Seattle.

70s World Football League had 2 separate franchises try and die there (which is impressive considering how short-lived that league was.) The USFL Breakers were not going to come back in 1986 after one year there because the attendance couldn't support the travel.  Subsequent spring/minor leagues avoided the place like the plague, which implies to me that there was something (onerous stadium leases, lack of willing owners per the CFL) that argues against trying there.

Certainly the general impression I have now is that the Timbers are a jealous god, tolerating no other co-tenants in their stadium, so the lease situation should be fun, especially since that's the only game in town stadium-wise. (OH HAI AND RIP PORTLAND BEAVERS)

As a more general observation, minor league sports typically don't do well in major league towns.  The major league team sucks up the oxygen and attention.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

54 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

The economics doesn't work at Providence Park.  If the Peregrine took a public entity to the cleaners, what do you think they'd do to a private business?   Peregrine just spend $50M of their own cash to add 4,000 seats they'll get that back faster by screwing with a private client.  They have bought their way into controlling the venue and its revenue thus, they aren't going to freely give that away.  Read the lease with the city.  

Well it's a good thing that the AAF is professional football. Now you have nothing to worry about.

The AAF may be professional football, but it's also minor league. Those aren't two terms that cancel each other out. Minor League Baseball, G-League, USL, etc. are all minor leagues that are professional.

Minor league football is professional football if all in involved are paid. I'm telling you a AAF team in Portland will absolutely fail. Providence Park is a non starter. Hillsboro Stadium is too small at 7,000 seats. Playing at Oregon or Oregon State would be a complete disaster. Competing against the Timbers & Blazers as well. 

The AAF needs to figure out attendance issues in a majority of their cities before expanding. 

Having said that though, out of all of the cities listed, Albquerque and Louisville could do very well. 

30 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The AAF needs to figure out attendance issues in a majority of their cities before expanding. 

Having said that though, out of all of the cities listed, Albquerque and Louisville could do very well. 

Relocation seems like a plausible idea to me. I'd wait and see how the season progresses but Salt Lake and Memphis look to be the markets that will be vacated.

Louisville is a great idea. Nashville at Vanderbilt Stadium? Perfect for Memphis. Tulsa? No. Oklahoma City? No. Raleigh-Durham? No. Portland had support in the USFL (read Paul Reeth's book.) Columbus? Only if they play at the soccer stadium. Hartford? Too cold. Sacramento. Yes (if they ever build the stadium).

If they expand they would be stupid to do so.

It seems like the AAF is avoiding MLS stadiums and focusing more on FBS stadiums. Probably because MLS is currently in season and FBS isn't? Move the Atlanta Legends to Louisville and play another season with 8 teams. If it's viable to expand, do it then. There should never be an AAF team placed in an NFL market, unless they eventually have official affiliates. 

2 hours ago, NYC Cosmos said:

Louisville is a great idea. Nashville at Vanderbilt Stadium? Perfect for Memphis. Tulsa? No. Oklahoma City? No. Raleigh-Durham? No. Portland had support in the USFL (read Paul Reeth's book.) Columbus? Only if they play at the soccer stadium. Hartford? Too cold. Sacramento. Yes (if they ever build the stadium).

If they expand they would be stupid to do so.

Sacramento does have Hornet Stadium, and it seats over 20k.

1 hour ago, VDizzle12 said:

It seems like the AAF is avoiding MLS stadiums and focusing more on FBS stadiums. Probably because MLS is currently in season and FBS isn't? Move the Atlanta Legends to Louisville and play another season with 8 teams. If it's viable to expand, do it then. There should never be an AAF team placed in an NFL market, unless they eventually have official affiliates. 

I feel like Atlanta could go to Raleigh-Durham with that new investor Dundon and his ties to Carolina.

Now that I think about it, Legends would have be a great name for a team based in Canton, Ohio. With that said, I don't know how good of a potential market Canton would be.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

29 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Now that I think about it, Legends would have be a great name for a team based in Canton, Ohio. With that said, I don't know how good of a potential market Canton would be.

Canton already had the Canton Legends in the American Indoor Football League. 

220px-Legends.PNG

10 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Being professional does not preclude one from being minor league. AAF is professional minor league football...

Archived