Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://ramsnewlook.com/logos/#stay-tuned

Scroll down to the "Stay Tuned" section and watch the video. Here's an excerpt: 

"I glance back at it every week, and not once yet have I said to myself MAN IF WE ONLY WOULD OF THIS.  It just feels like we did it right."

-Steve McClard, Sr. Design Director, NIKE

Just one of the many, many maddening quotes in this original video that was released in advance of the uni's dropping.  I know everyone blows off Nike's influence on these types of major decisions, and yes I agree it's ultimately in the owner's hands, but you can't convince me that Nike isn't the biggest culprit here (or in most cases).   

27 minutes ago, pitt6pack said:

Screen-Shot-2020-05-13-at-11.12.58-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-05-13-at-11.13.29-AM.pn

But why, WHY is there ANY reason at all to include yellow squiggly lines? Why is it needed? What's the point? WHY? 

"The 'heartbeat' stitching on our nameplate patch serves as the literal seismic bond between the passion of our fans and the Rams history in Los Angeles."

Close?

On 4/21/2020 at 6:46 PM, Maroon&Gold said:

Bat :censored: crazy conspiracy time: the league purposely made nike give the Rams a weak rebrand and the Chargers a solid one to even the playing field as much as possible when it comes to winning the hearts of Angelinos that haven't decided which team to cheer for yet.

fMtbhO8.gif

They're putting chemicals in the water that are turning the freaking uniforms bad

They could’ve chosen to make the patch on the home jersey the new ram head and make the patch on the away jersey the LA logo. That would makes these better. I don’t hate the placement of the lettering though. However, they should both say only “RAMS”.

The bone uniform is a huge miss. It has potential though. 

Awful. Not Falcons-level bad but these are not good.

Let’s start with the pros:

I like the number font

The new helmet is fine

Cons:

Why do they have wordmark patches? Why are they different on each uniform? Other teams with permanent patches have patches that don’t look incongruous with the rest of the jersey — here it looks like someone forgot to peel off a sticker. And for as bad as the ones on the blue jersey are, they don’t hold a candle to the atrociousness of the ones on the bone jersey. I mean look at this :censored::

spacer.png

Why is it white, and not bone? Why is there a stupid incomplete yellow stitch?

Speaking of bone, it looks just as bad as everyone anticipated. Looks unwashed, way more than the Pats’ silver-grey alternates from the 00s did.0

I could understand not putting TV numbers on the Pats and Chargers unis, because they had other shoulder elements. Here it makes no sense — there’s literally a blank space!

Is it just me or do the royal pants and jerseys not match?

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, schlim said:

"The 'heartbeat' stitching on our nameplate patch serves as the literal seismic bond between the passion of our fans and the Rams history in Los Angeles."

Close?

Could it be a Richter scale pattern to simulate the tremor that the fans will trigger when their team takes the field? Or something dumb like that?

Looking these sets again and here are my thoughts. Keep in mind that I'm a purist who thinks all teams should be wearing throwbacks. So for me to like anything about these is a miracle.

Really like:

* The shade of blue

*Helmet (segmented horn and all) 

* Number font

* Home monochrome (I normally HATE monochrome but it works with this shade of blue) 

*Home blue over yellow

Dislikes:

*Gradient numbers

* Bone colored away uniforms. 

The away set would be a little better with a blue stripe on the pants rather than yellow. 

IMHO The Rams new uniforms ARE NOT the absolute train wreck that the Jaguars gradient helmet set, the Buccaneers alarm clock set, and the new Falcons set were/are. They're certainly not as horrible as some of the posts in this thread are hyperbolizing. 

IMO these Rams new uniforms are light years less radical than the Broncos chess piece and Patriots flying Elvis uniform redesigns from way back in the 1990s and those two sets are beloved. 

31 minutes ago, OBomb said:

The Rams changing the helmet horns is possibly as sacrilegious as the Yankees changing the interlocking NY. Or, for a better comparison, as sacrilegious as the Dodgers changing the interlocking LA logo.

The new horns look, well, not good. 

I made a similar point. Above all else, it’s the single most iconic thing about the franchise. It’s been through multiple color iterations, and yet always been synonymous with the Rams. 

im all for advancement - even if the Yankees could somehow do it - but nobody’s been able to, and it’s one of those things that you don’t do just for the sake of doing. 

the new helmets look like they have crescent moons on them, not horns. It’s absolute trash. 

the numbers are the only redeeming thing, and I still think there’s loads of room for improvement there. 

In terms of all-time worst uniforms, this is probably third worst: Bucs alarm clocks was worst, then Browns with their pants wordmark and contrast stitching, then these, then a gap, then Titans. 

My heart goes out to Rams fans that have to watch these for the next 5 years. Seriously, I’d hate to be in your shoes. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, kutztown said:

"I glance back at it every week, and not once yet have I said to myself MAN IF WE ONLY WOULD OF THIS.  It just feels like we did it right."

-Steve McClard, Sr. Design Director, NIKE

spacer.png

The Senior Design Director at effing Nike looks at the radioactive waste bin that is the gray uniform every week and goes “yep, perfect”. Working for him would piss me off daily.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

4 minutes ago, LMU said:

For those not hyperbolically committing seppuku right now...

JfGDlYq.jpg

And, yes, I proudly did this.

GXgnDRd.jpg

hey if you’re a fan and you like them, then that’s great. You’re the target audience, so your opinion matters a lot to them. 

from a distance, the blue jersey really isn’t that bad. It’s close to being good. I’d have to see the rest of the numbers, specify what a lineman jersey would look like (57 for example)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The helmet's the best part. They nailed that. The home jersey is pretty good to. Nice tribute to their best look while retaining some of the new aspects. Don't hate the gradient. The patch is dumb.

However in regards to the stupid grey uniforms, I picture the following:

Nobody:

Nike: Hey Mr. Kroenke, we have an idea! How about we take the Seahawks grays but somehow make them worse?

Kroenke: Great!

Archived